Speculation: would speaking french be a hurdle for Babcock to work in Montreal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MTLAzzurri

Mar 2, 2013
Interesting speculation. I do have a feeling if for whatever reason we are pursuing Babcock, bergevin will not care if he speaks French.

http://www.tsn.ca/video/would-speaking-french-be-a-hurdle-for-babcock-in-montreal-1.274781

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
He's in a something of a different situation than most because of his McGill University days. People would give him a bit more leeway than others I think. That being said I don't think it would ever come to that. Plenty of good french speaking options out there that would be improvements over coach T too anyways in my opinion .

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
If we must have Quebecois and only Quebecois coaches, I'll accept that as a part of our special tradition, etc. But just a few months ago Bergevin extended Therrien and Lacroix and company for four years so I don't see why he'd cut and run and hire an Anglo now of all times.

We got 110 points ffs, and he's been praising the coaching staff all year, he can't possibly justify hiring Babcock without first turning around the rhetoric.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
To me, no. Because Babcock. I wouldn't have had any problems with Jon Cooper 3 years ago either.

JayKing

Go Habs Go
Dec 30, 2011
Montreal
If we must have Quebecois and only Quebecois coaches, I'll accept that as a part of our special tradition, etc. But just a few months ago Bergevin extended Therrien and Lacroix and company for four years so I don't see why he'd cut and run and hire an Anglo now of all times.

We got 110 points ffs, and he's been praising the coaching staff all year, he can't possibly justify hiring Babcock without first turning around the rhetoric.

But it's not and shouldn't.

smirob

Jun 2, 2014
This coach 'requirement' should be addressed and shot down if/when Bergevin is looking for a new coach.

If Bergevin had a genuine shot of landing Babcock, but didn't because he doesn't speak french......he deserves to be fired.

Babcock is the premium coach in the NHL. There is no reason to consider language WHATSOEVER when hiring your coach.

Somebody who disagrees; please list the french coaches who are available. Then ask yourself if you would take them over Babcock.

I would rather listen to a coach tell us how he won in English, than listen to one tell us how he lost in French.

InglewoodJack

Jun 10, 2009
Châteauguay
I don't think it's a big deal if the coach isn't French. I think that's the "mean French fascist bogeymen" that the English Canadian media likes to perpetuate. And even if there was a premium on French Canadian coaches, it would be to hire the French coach if two (or more) candidates were equal. Babcock is pretty unparalleled, at least in terms of who would be available next year.

Hullois

Suck it Trebek
Aug 26, 2010
Hull, Qc
I don't think it would be a problem for Babcock but... I really don't want to see him in Montréal. You think the Therrien teams are boring and play in "da system" too much?? You're in for a ride with Babcock loolll

Dannyhab

Feb 5, 2010
This coach 'requirement' should be addressed and shot down if/when Bergevin is looking for a new coach.

If Bergevin had a genuine shot of landing Babcock, but didn't because he doesn't speak french......he deserves to be fired.

Babcock is the premium coach in the NHL. There is no reason to consider language WHATSOEVER when hiring your coach.

Somebody who disagrees; please list the french coaches who are available. Then ask yourself if you would take them over Babcock.

I would rather listen to a coach tell us how he won in English, than listen to one tell us how he lost in French.

This is the opinion of a rational person. Unfortunately, probably more than 50% of Canadiens fans don't agree and would not want to hire a coach who doesn't speak french regardless of how good he is.

JayKing

Go Habs Go
Dec 30, 2011
Montreal
I don't think it's that easy. Many would disagree with you, in fact.

Remember when Cunneyworth was given the helm?

Those people are wrong (in my opinion).The tradition is winning cups. The Habs have won many cups under english only speaking coaches as well as french speaking coaches. The Habs don't owe these coaches anything just like they don't owe french speaking players anything. When all things are equal, sure go for it, but if you can get the best coach around wherever he speaks English or French shouldn't matter.

Richiebottles

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jul 26, 2010
This is the first speculation piece which is interesting.

I do think that MB is interested in him and he is a smart GM. Part of myself hopes that we get swept so he can fire MT.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
I think they'd let it slide with Babcock, as long as he had a media friendly assistant than spoke french. Although I'm not sure Mike would want to put himself through the pain of being in MTL when he could go to San Jose or somewhere warm.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
No.

Even the French media said they'd make the exception because it's Babcock and he went to McGill.

Too bad it's NEVER going to happen. We have MT for at least another year or two.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Those people are wrong (in my opinion).The tradition is winning cups. The Habs have won many cups under english only speaking coaches as well as french speaking coaches. The Habs don't owe these coaches anything just like they don't owe french speaking players anything. When all things are equal, sure go for it, but if you can get the best coach around wherever he speaks English or French shouldn't matter.

I really disagree on the "many" : both Blake and Bowman spoke some French. McNeil didn't, but they kinda win in spite of him. Dunno about Cecil Hart and Dick Irvin.

I think French is a big plus for any HC in Montreal. Helps in dealing with the media. But it shouldn't be a bar, in any way, shape or form.

Lorty

May 7, 2013
I don't think it would be a problem for Babcock but... I really don't want to see him in Montréal. You think the Therrien teams are boring and play in "da system" too much?? You're in for a ride with Babcock loolll

I'm fine with a "system", as long as it represents the players well. A good coach will adapt his game plan accordingly. Therrien doesn't.

Remember the EGG line? That line was the perfect third line - Confidence, chemistry and skills. They played THEIR brand of hockey.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
I agree. All Bergevin has to do is stand up and say "Dick Irvin" shut your ****ing mouths.
Bergevin has, himself, said that he wants a French coach. He's IS a part of the crowd that clamors for the Pur-Laine.

Like I said, I actually understand and respect it. It sucks in some ways but that's how it goes - there are soccer teams in Europe who handcuff themselves in similar ways (Athletic Bilbao, Celtic before the 2000s, etc) and it's equal parts unfortunate and brave. I wish we had someone progressive though, like Boucher and not a dinosaur like Therrien.

TravisF

Jul 11, 2011
www.artbreak.com
He would be a great coach in Montreal. If Montreal gets swept this playoffs, I think Therrien's job may be in trouble. Detroit took Tampa to 7 games and only lost by goal! Montreal has a better team than Detroit.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Hire a translator that looks exactly like Mike Babcock, and get someone who can sign while they're at it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad