Speculation: would speaking french be a hurdle for Babcock to work in Montreal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

deandebean

Jan 14, 2003
Gatineau
Visit site
This thread is sooooo useless, because it will not happen. Vent, guys, vent. If it makes you feel good.

Fact of the matter is Therrien will be staying here, his new contract is kicking in, he won't be fired, as the GM likes him. Annnnnd, Babcock won't come here, as he wants control on a large part of hockey operations. Be serious.

rockjngo

Oct 31, 2011
Mandarin is better than the way MT speak french

fact:
Believe it or not, in the business world, if you are a westerner who can speak mandarin or cantonese you are ahead of everyone else. but it doesn't mean you can't do the job. your job is to make business deals, hire a translator to help.

Babcock's job is to coach and win. He's not hired to be a translator!

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Le français, ça s'apprend beaucoup plus rapidement que le niveau de coaching que peut nous amener Babcock.

Bring him please.

Never going to happen.

Geoff and his people are on record about never hiring a non-francophone again, out of "respect" for the community.

I don't see the big deal, there are plenty of very competent franco coaches. Only a matter of timing before one becomes available. The issue is more about where Bergevin's threshold lies when it comes to cutting ties with Therrien. Too many people are selling Therrien off -- he's not going anywhere.

Habitant#1

Feb 15, 2006
Brisbane
I'm one of those that would always prefer a french speaking (not necessarily as a first language) coach. But not if there's a better coach available. Babcock is the best there is so he'd be a no brainer, slam dunk hire. I know there are groups out there who might make a fuss, but the overwhelming majority would be thrilled to have the best coach in the world. A lot of the Cunneyworth backlash was around the fact that he was a no-name (coaching wise) hire. I think the attitude was "if you hiring a coach just to hire one, at least hire a french speaking coach." That's how I felt anyway. I don't think anyone could argue that he was the best available. They could've at least let a francophone without NHL coaching experience get his feet wet and his name out there. It's no secret that there are more barriers to francophone coaches in the NHL than anglophones. Not to the degree of european coaches obviously but it's still there. It's nor surprise that the majority of francophones coaches in the NHL broke into the league through the Canadiens (Burns, Vigneault, Therrien, Julien), or even their AHL affiliate (like Boucher). Its not the only way in, but it's the main one. I'm not saying the Habs have an obligation to hire a francophone, they should always hire the best available, end of discussion. But hey, if you're hiring an interim coach to ride out a season, why not give a local guy a chance.

TLDR:
Hire best coach available

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
I'm one of those that would always prefer a french speaking (not necessarily as a first language) coach. But not if there's a better coach available. Babcock is the best there is so he'd be a no brainer, slam dunk hire. I know there are groups out there who might make a fuss, but the overwhelming majority would be thrilled to have the best coach in the world. A lot of the Cunneyworth backlash was around the fact that he was a no-name (coaching wise) hire. I think the attitude was "if you hiring a coach just to hire one, at least hire a french speaking coach." That's how I felt anyway. I don't think anyone could argue that he was the best available. They could've at least let a francophone without NHL coaching experience get his feet wet and his name out there. It's no secret that there are more barriers to francophone coaches in the NHL than anglophones. Not to the degree of european coaches obviously but it's still there. It's nor surprise that the majority of francophones coaches in the NHL broke into the league through the Canadiens (Burns, Vigneault, Therrien, Julien), or even their AHL affiliate (like Boucher). Its not the only way in, but it's the main one. I'm not saying the Habs have an obligation to hire a francophone, they should always hire the best available, end of discussion. But hey, if you're hiring an interim coach to ride out a season, why not give a local guy a chance.

TLDR:
Hire best coach available

I see many people posting this, and you know what... it doesnt mean much.

Outside the well known and experienced coaches (Babcock is an example), how will YOU determine wether the coach we just hired is the good one, the best one of the bunch and all that ?

just going by "location" you can easily tell, if you were to ask who are the best available, none of the ones coaching in the Q would be named (or OHL, WHL, etc)...

So, how do you know the one hired was the best available ?

jordy

Apr 18, 2007
Babcock's a great coach but he doesn't speak French and therefore, in my opinion wouldn't fit with Montreal. The only way I could see this working is IF montreal can win a cup.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Babcock's a great coach but he doesn't speak French and therefore, in my opinion wouldn't fit with Montreal.
Fair enough.
The only way I could see this working is IF montreal can win a cup.
Uh, what? Isn't this a contradiction of what you just said? The whole point of hiring a guy like Babcock would be so we could win a cup. So you're basically saying it's okay to hire him then? I'm sorry, I don't understand your post here.

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008
I see many people posting this, and you know what... it doesnt mean much.

Outside the well known and experienced coaches (Babcock is an example), how will YOU determine wether the coach we just hired is the good one, the best one of the bunch and all that ?

just going by "location" you can easily tell, if you were to ask who are the best available, none of the ones coaching in the Q would be named (or OHL, WHL, etc)...

So, how do you know the one hired was the best available ?

How else does anyone get hired? Through their resume. Why did we re-hire the same coach that got fired here after only 2 years instead of the one that has won a stanley cup championship. ( Hartley )

Kjell Dahlin

Jan 10, 2010
Québec, Québec
The real "hurdle " is the team’s record since Therrien came back to Montreal as the head coach 3 years ago:

125-64-23 (PTS% = 64,4%) in the regular season
15-15 during the playoffs

It is worth mentioning that only 5 teams played more playoffs games than us since he took the helm and we have a realistic opportunity to surpass two (Pit and Bos) of them in the upcoming days.

In no way, shape, or form can Therrien be considered as the problem: this team simply is lacking firepower upfront but the good news is that Hudon or Sherback are not that far away from the big league.

This is the opinion of a rational person. Unfortunately, probably more than 50% of Canadiens fans don't agree and would not want to hire a coach who doesn't speak french regardless of how good he is.

The way I see it, being bilingual does, rightfully imo, have an impact in regards of your chances to become the Montréal head coach but it sure ain’t the only criterion. Roughly and just to illustrate my point of view, I’d say that experience counts for 40%, success is good for another 40-45% so that leaves 15-20% for bilingualism.

This criteria weighting would imply that Babcock > Boucher based on Babcock’s experience and successes... but it would also imply that Boucher > all the Cunneyworths of the world!

PricePkPatch*

People will have a much easier time swallowing a non-French speaking coach if Habs are doing relatively well, and the direction is credible enough in the Fans' eyes to do damage control.

I think MB could do it. But only if he had a strong reason to fire Therrien. Maybe like.. A sweep? A 3-0 comeback defeat?

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
How else does anyone get hired? Through their resume. Why did we re-hire the same coach that got fired here after only 2 years instead of the one that has won a stanley cup championship. ( Hartley )

gievn the name you've written, I'd guess language isnt everything in the hiring process of a coach :naughty:

Habs13

Dec 30, 2004
Montreal
Two part answer;

It shouldn't matter at all...

It does because Quebec's society is ****ing stupid when it comes to crap like this.

Genesis76

True Leader
May 3, 2013
Two part answer;

It shouldn't matter at all...

It does because Quebec's society is ****ing stupid when it comes to crap like this.

Would Toronto hire a coach that could only speak french? I dont think so.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Would Toronto hire a coach that could only speak french? I dont think so.

THey would have no problem doing it if he was Mile Babcock and if he could communicate with all the players. Last time I checked, the only language used to communicate in the NHL was English

themilosh

Sponsor
Apr 27, 2015
Oakville, ON
Besides after tonight loss. One more game... Hopefully a TB blowout and thus begins the MT Exodus. Babcock will sign the most lucrative coaching contract in NHL history. And he will turn MTL into perennial contenders.
MT will take a another position within the organization though overpaid.

gis16*

I will never ever accepted a coach who just speak english...NEVER. And I'm a uge hab's fan and I'm really not a separatist or stuff like that. And more than that, I'm not the only one!

gis16*

...This is just marketing!! How some people don't understand this

McClane

Mar 11, 2015
Montreal is a mediocre organization and Babcock is a winner. The Habs won't even look for him because they know he's too much for this team. He wants to be a legend and Montreal is content with making it to the playoffs. He's out of our league.

gis16*

What's the difference between FC Barcelona ou FC Milan or Les Canadiens de Montréal??

All The Coaches even the players speaks local language (Spanish and Italian) ! (and I don't ask that for players)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad