Speculation: Would Phaneuf waive his NMC to go to Vegas?

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I hope we keep the guy, he's a very good 2nd pairing defenseman for us.

Me too, he brings a nasty edge to his game which makes him very hard to play against that this team could use more of. We need him Boro, Smith & Neil, all are playing well this season

JesseHenry9

Jun 4, 2015
I seriously don't understand the dislike on Phaneuf..... Not a chance we let him go to Vegas. Is he worth 7.5? No. But I would definitely give him 5, maybe even 6. Hes been outstanding this year, our best D behind Karl. Hes one of the best 2nd pairing Dman in the league. The 2.85 we pay Hammond in the next 2 years is a far more waste of money if you ask me. This Phaneuf talk shouldn't even be happening.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
I seriously don't understand the dislike on Phaneuf..... Not a chance we let him go to Vegas. Is he worth 7.5? No. But I would definitely give him 5, maybe even 6. Hes been outstanding this year, our best D behind Karl. Hes one of the best 2nd pairing Dman in the league. The 2.85 we pay Hammond in the next 2 years is a far more waste of money if you ask me. This Phaneuf talk shouldn't even be happening.

He's not perfect, like my Leafs buddy said to me when we traded for him "Yeah he does a bone-head move every once in a while that will cost you the game, but I still love the guy" I think that's where the Ottawa fanbase is at now that we have seen him play.

IMO (and not even close) the best passer from the back that we have (besides EK). I know Wideman and Ceci get a lot of love but Phaneufs passing is really underrated, his first pass is excellent, probs why he can do so much despite having the heaviest skates in the NHL.

And as a former Captain and high profile player, he gets away with so much stick work, he inherited the Chris Pronger rules for refereeing when Pronger retired, be even better come playoff time.

Wouldn't be surprised if he was claimed, tons of leadership, good with the media and would probably play well in Vegas he has a lot of cowboy in him, very stable lifestyle as well which they will need in LV. Be a tempting legacy type player, easily wear the C until they have had time to build.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
He's not perfect, like my Leafs buddy said to me when we traded for him "Yeah he does a bone-head move every once in a while that will cost you the game, but I still love the guy" I think that's where the Ottawa fanbase is at now that we have seen him play.

IMO (and not even close) the best passer from the back that we have (besides EK). I know Wideman and Ceci get a lot of love but Phaneufs passing is really underrated, his first pass is excellent, probs why he can do so much despite having the heaviest skates in the NHL.

And as a former Captain and high profile player, he gets away with so much stick work, he inherited the Chris Pronger rules for refereeing when Pronger retired, be even better come playoff time.

Wouldn't be surprised if he was claimed, tons of leadership, good with the media and would probably play well in Vegas he has a lot of cowboy in him, very stable lifestyle as well which they will need in LV. Be a tempting legacy type player, easily wear the C until they have had time to build.

Bolded for truth. The amount of interference and infractions this guy gets away with is pretty crazy. He does get his share of dumb penalties though.

JesseHenry9

Jun 4, 2015

100% true, he has mutual respect with all the officials and it surely shows. The thing I didn't know about him is he has very good hands in tight spaces and he doesn't panic. He makes a tremendous outlet and D to D pass. A D to D pass might sound easy but hes so good at drawing his winger while not even looking at Karl and wire a pass from one side of the rink to the other directly on the tape with power. His passes are so fast that by the time the oppositions winger get to Karl his play has already been made. I like them two together. I think Dion is just getting better as the games in Ottawa go on.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad