Would Ottawa have beaten Nashville?

Sidgeni Malkby

Nov 19, 2008
NJ
I've honestly thought about this a lot since yesterday. I think it's going to come down to who's healthy come Monday. Smith contributes a lot to Nashville's speed game and Fisher to the grind game. Gun to my head, I think we try to really push the tempo and use the D advantage with a fast transition game since that is what Lavy prefers. Probably gonna end up being whatever allows us the best ability to possess the puck and play keep away from an offensively gifted Pens club.

Nashville has been such a chameleon these playoffs (even within the same series) that I'm just not sure what Lavy has up his sleeve.

braindead said:
Absolutely. That's the Preds (Lavy's) favored approach by far and the Preds will live and die by it in this series imo. They will try to out-Pen the Pens. Might work, might not but pretty sure that is the plan.

In my brief exposure to Nashville, they out Chicagoed Chicago, and we play a lot like Chicago.

Sullivan is good and adjusting, and I wonder which one will pull away first from their speed speed speed mantra. I will say when the Pens try and play conservative, they look pretty silly. Sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't, but it clearly doesn't suite them well.

This is going to be an awesome series. Preds D haven't seen the level of F that Pens have this playoffs, but they are studs. As Kunitz said "they have 4 Karlssons".

*edit*
If Preds play like the Pens, I don't think Ottawa would have much of a chance. Remember, Pens had Crosby, Sheary coming back from concussions and a multitude of other injuries. Also our scotch tape D gave Ottawa hope.

Preds aren't as banged up, and good luck trying to take advantage of their D. Ottawa had not have faced that level of D in the playoffs in their 1st 3 rounds.

*/edit*

PerdFan

Oct 10, 2010
In my brief exposure to Nashville, they out Chicagoed Chicago, and we play a lot like Chicago.

Sullivan is good and adjusting, and I wonder which one will pull away first from their speed speed speed mantra. I will say when the Pens try and play conservative, they look pretty silly. Sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't, but it clearly doesn't suite them well.

This is going to be an awesome series. Preds D haven't seen the level of F that Pens have this playoffs, but they are studs. As Kunitz said "they have 4 Karlssons".

*edit*
If Preds play like the Pens, I don't think Ottawa would have much of a chance. Remember, Pens had Crosby, Sheary coming back from concussions and a multitude of other injuries. Also our scotch tape D gave Ottawa hope.

Preds aren't as banged up, and good luck trying to take advantage of their D. Ottawa had not have faced that level of D in the playoffs in their 1st 3 rounds.

*/edit*
I'm not sure about that. I think the Preds list of walking wounded will make Anaheim's list of surgery requirees look like a visit to the walk-in clinic. Duck tape, chicken wire and spit are in short supply in Nashville right now. They may need to change the name officially to the Milwaukee Predators to start the season next year. :help:

varano

Jun 27, 2013
No, Nashville would have killed them. Way too much skill on that team.

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
No, Nashville would have killed them. Way too much skill on that team.

Since we are being hypothetical, I would almost think that Ottawa would be a more balanced opponent for the Preds based upon available talent vs. the Preds.

Goaltending is better for Preds in all scenarios (pens/sens). The forward core for the preds are closer matched with Ottawa but far less superior to the Pens. Forward depth favors the Pens and falls par with the Sens. Defence on paper is slightly better than the Sens but loads better than the Pens.

Its going to be a really interesting series. I love Nashville's Defence but I think the Pens repeat. Crosby, Malkin and Kessel are just to much to handle.

Turris Forsberg
Hoffman Neal
Ryan Arvidsson
Stone Sissons
Brassard Watson

EK, Ceci, Dion, Methot Ellis, PK, Ekholm, Josi

Anderson Rinne

. Pitts

Crosby Forsberg
Malkin Neal
Kessel Arvidsson
Hornqvist Sissons
Guentzel Watson

Shultz, maata ..some other players Ellis, PK, Ekholm, Josi

Murray Rinne

shaner8989

Aug 6, 2005
They were dominated game after game. Anderson and karlsson are insane and not sure how long Ottawa could feed off them

Nashville would destroy them.

Just my opinion tho

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
Ottawa took Pittsburgh to a game 7 OT situation and the consensus is that Nashville has very little to no chance vs Pittsburgh So yes they could have.

wandk128

Oct 14, 2008
Seems like an odd question when Pittsburgh still hasn't played 1 game yet against Nashville

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
They were dominated game after game. Anderson and karlsson are insane and not sure how long Ottawa could feed off them

Nashville would destroy them.

Just my opinion tho

We were forced to play a passive game because of the speed and skill of Pittsburgh's forwards.

The gameplan against Nashville would have been much different.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
No idea.

But.... I do think that the Sens are significantly better up front than a RyJo-less Nashville. I'm not even sure Ottawa don't have 4 Cs who are better or equal to anyone Nashville can try and make their 1C. Especially with Fisher hampered/cold as a fish.
Ottawa's forward depth was getting underrated because of the low regular season scoring and lack of depth from the beginning of the season. Post deadline they saw some additions plus McArthur got healthy, and that made them solid if unspectacular throughout the lineup.

Then people can talk about the D where Ottawa's first pairing is as good or better than Nashville's. Basically the second pairing IMO is all that Nashville has on Ottawa.

Think they would have had a good chance for sure.
But then again I might be underrating Nashville. Without RyJo I just see them more as the 18th placed team in the league that they finished the reg. season than someone who should be playing the Pens in the final.

At no point in the Sid and Geno era have we faced a team with less weapons up front in the playoffs - in any round. That top4 (and Rinne) has to be as good as advertised and more if this is to be a series, IMO.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
It would be a coin flip series, which is what most teams would take.

Man, this probably still stings for Sens fans.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
It would be a coin flip series, which is what most teams would take.

Man, this probably still stings for Sens fans.

It sure does, particularly seeing as how the series winning goal was just a point shot deflecting of a shot blocker, something that could have happened for either team.

Oh well.

BusQuets

Jul 16, 2010
I don't think so but Wild/Hawks/Blues/Ducks would have probably blown Ottawa out of the playoffs pretty easily.

Max Power

Nov 15, 2005
The same people that are saying Sens would get trounced by Preds are likely the same that said they would be trounced by Bruins, Rangers and Pens

Giving a confidence answer on this is about as logical as saying you can guess the lottery. I think it would have been a good series though.

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010
I would say no

The same people that are saying Sens would get trounced by Preds are likely the same that said they would be trounced by Bruins, Rangers and Pens

Giving a confidence answer on this is about as logical as saying you can guess the lottery. I think it would have been a good series though.

Ya, if the lottery was picking one of two numbers.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: