Would Ottawa have beaten Nashville?

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
Not true. But game 7 was lobsided in pens favor.

1. 2 on 1 in Pens zone with control, refs blow whistle because Kessel "is hurt"
2. Malkin submarines our guy tripping him no call.
3.Pageau hauled down no call. Exact same play Dion gets called on Kessel.
4. Two non calls on high sticks against Ryan and Pageau

But didn't the refs miss a too many men in OT vs OTT?

Weird you left that out because it doesn't fit your narrative

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
But didn't the refs miss a too many men in OT vs OTT?

Weird you left that out because it doesn't fit your narrative

So one vs four? Still seems like his point was at least a little valid.

Refs clearly had no intent of calling anything either way in OT, but Ottawa didn't lose because of refs, they lost because they couldn't capitalize on their chances. By the time the 2nd OT came along, the decision to shorten the bench all game was looking pretty bad.

Having said that, the refs as a whole looked pretty bad last night, the missed too many men missed call was a good example, but blowing the play dead while Ottawa had possession because Kessel took a clearing attempt in the head and then again when a Pens Player went down after a collision in their DZ a short while later, the Malkin submarining trip in OT; these were all clear unforced mistakes by the refs with no real excuse and can't claim to have not seen (well, maybe they didn't see the too many men one). Not biased necessarily, just really poor officiating. But even when the calls are made, you still need to take advantage, and that's what Pit did and Ottawa didn't

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005

Refs clearly had no intent of calling anything either way in OT, but Ottawa didn't lose because of refs, they lost because they couldn't capitalize on their chances. By the time the 2nd OT came along, the decision to shorten the bench all game was looking pretty bad.

Having said that, the refs as a whole looked pretty bad last night, the missed too many men missed call was a good example, but blowing the play dead while Ottawa had possession because Kessel took a clearing attempt in the head and then again when a Pens Player went down after a collision in their DZ a short while later, the Malkin submarining trip in OT; these were all clear unforced mistakes by the refs with no real excuse and can't claim to have not seen (well, maybe they didn't see the too many men one). Not biased necessarily, just really poor officiating. But even when the calls are made, you still need to take advantage, and that's what Pit did and Ottawa didn't

I really didn't understand this one... Wasn't that just Turris (of all people...) freight-training someone with a clean hit? I don't know why the refs kept blowing the play dead as soon a Pens player hit the ice. This is game 7 in the NHL, not kids hockey... geez.

I'm not going to get into a reffing argument... Really pointless... I just really really don't understand how anyone can say the refs favoured the Sens yesterday.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
Winning in 6 isn't 'barely beating' the Rangers lol.

Move along

Oh man they won in 6? Wow I never considered that!

Winning 2 of those games when they were down with less than a minute to go is proooooobably what I'm referring to. It's prob better for you to move on if you don't understand context.

Is Ott still in the POs? Despite playing a beat up Pitt team they're still eliminated. Which makes sense considering they were barely able to beat the much worse NYR team with the difference being a minute in 2 separate games.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
06 hurricanes were loaded up front and didn't have a high end #1D.

Tbay had Dan Boyle, but I was never a fan of him as a #1 D. He was also 3rd in TOI'G during their cup run. I'm probably too harsh on him, but to me he was a small upgrade on Schultz.

In the end, any positional deficiency can be made up for by overloading another position. When you have 3 forwards that would be the best forward on the majority of teams, you're going to be a good team regardless of not having the prototypical #1 Dman.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
I personally believe so.

Being a good defensive team with a guy like Erik Karlsson back there, i think that makes the Preds d-core less of an advantage (it's still obviously there, but not as huge as people make it out to be).

I think the Preds will get bounced in the finals.. close games but like we saw in game 7 against Anaheim, their offensive game was poor as hell and without a goalie giving them easy goals scoring will be tough.

Im expecting the Preds having a tough time to win even 1 game against the Pens, against Ottawa it's probably a 6 or 7 game series (Nashville's heavy style still would've given the Sens a lot of problems).

That's just me, maybe they surprise me next week. But Johansen was such a big part of that team that winning a 7 game series is tough. He's been part of so many important goals for the Preds. Yeah, they were able to rally around that injury in the Ducks series, but starting a fresh series week later is completely different.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
They have EK/Andy. So the answer is yes. And they played like a team better than any team in the playoffs. So the answer is absolutely yes.

Ottawa may have EK and a hot goalie, but Nashville has four top defenders and a hot goalie. If it were Ott-Nsh it would come down to offensive depth.

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010

come on man. The sens were tackling people in front of their own goal all night. That game was horribly officiated but in no way shape or form do the Sens have an argument for being on the short end of the officiating.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I am Canadian.

Am more of a Nashiville Fan than an Ottawa fan but like both teams.

Ottawa very possible could have been swept if they made it to Nashville. As much as I was rooting for Ottawa over Pittsburg it was nothing short of a minor miracle they made it past the first round, then the second, and then took the cup champs to game 7 before falling.

Ottawa is better than many credit but do not in any way shape or form belong in the group of teams considered true cup contenders.

Nashiville is a much stronger team on paper than Ottawa, on a great roll, got a bit lucky because this year was the most even the West has ever been in terms of playoff teams parity but absolutely deserve to be in the final.

I really hope Nashiville beats Pitts, but Pitts is obviously the clear favorite to win the cup this year.

In short. The top teams in the East were better than the top teams in the West this year but I do not include Ottawa as the reason for that. Where as Nashville, even tho they were the 8th Seed, were considered a very tough match up for any Western Conference team.

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
I thought if Ottawa made the final they would get steam rolled by Nashville, similar to the 2014 Rangers vs Kings.

NHL needed that PIT win to make an interesting finals matchup

DANTHEMAN1967

Aug 10, 2016
Not true. But game 7 was lobsided in pens favor.

1. 2 on 1 in Pens zone with control, refs blow whistle because Kessel "is hurt"
2. Malkin submarines our guy tripping him no call.
3.Pageau hauled down no call. Exact same play Dion gets called on Kessel.
4. Two non calls on high sticks against Ryan and Pageau

The constant, game in game out, interference by Methot and Phaneuf on Malkin and Crosby that didn't get called more than offsets the few complaints that Sens fans can name.

Finnish your Czech

J'aime Les offres hostiles
Nov 25, 2009
Toronto
It's hilarious that people can say Ottawa would have no chance against a depleted Nashville team. It's 2017, there is a lot of parity in the NHL, both teams would have a chance.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad