Would other players get backlash for celebrating like Ovi?

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
People project their impressions on people they don't know based on a multitude of factors. Those who liked Ovechkin due to his energy and excitement are going to view his celebrating positively and those who disliked it will likely think the opposite. At the same time, the fact that he's now a veteran who was one of the best players in history who hadn't won before this might mean some of those people that wouldn't usually like his behaviour would give him a pass. Similarly, I think any one else would depend on the player and the person doing the judging. Someone like Marchand got a lot of flack after the 2011 win for partying both because of his pest personality on the ice as well as his age. I think something similar would have applied to someone like Kesler or Burrows had the Canucks won in '11 instead. Meanwhile if Thornton won in '16, he probably would have been seen similar to Ovechkin.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
There's should be a limit to how much partying is done after winning a Cup. I feel Ovie went over that limit by 37%

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
-No, Ovi should celebrate all he wants, and good for him. He and Washington were the biggest chokers in the history of the NHL and arguably all of sports until this season. I mean they have been a colossal bust getting throttled by the Penguins and Rangers for 30 years and Ovi was a no show in the playoffs a number of them. Let him celebrate all he wants. They finally beat Pittsburgh.

-The fact people have slammed him and Washington since he came into the NHL for choking on yearly basis was far to much. But the Washington fans saying Ovi is the best this, Washington is a new dynasty, Holtby is better then Roy and Hasik, and all this other bs from a poor franchise is over the top. But thats ok, let the guy and Washington have their fun, they are no longer a playoff total disgrace. That honor probably belongs to Arizona or Florida now.

This post hits all the right notes. ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad