Would Lou and trotz gotten this same turn around from the oilers?

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
There's so much issues with the management in the franchise that . I don't think there's an easy fix. But I do believe these two would be a big upgrade and at the very least would be setting a new tone to the franchise. But likely would take longer for them to alter the course.

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
I don't think Lou would agree to go to a team with the amount of shit heads at the top of the Org that Oilers have. He accepted NYI because he has full autonomy there. Trotz might have gone to Edmonton and I think he would have made them significantly better defensively.

Talent wise I don't think there's really much of a difference between the two teams. As much as people like to shit on the Oilers the Isles really don't have that good of a roster and a ton of the credit for their success has to go to Trotz and his systems. Makes his goalies lives much easier.

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
no, the Isles are where the Oilers were before they won the McDavid lottery, the Oilers are stuck in a cycle of no young talent and no vets worth anything.

bukwas

Stanley Cup 2022
Sep 27, 2017
I believe they would have improved Edmontons situation to some extent but I'd say they had more(cap space, prospects, autonomy etc.) to work with in L.I.

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
I don't think Lou would agree to go to a team with the amount of **** heads at the top of the Org that Oilers have. He accepted NYI because he has full autonomy there. Trotz might have gone to Edmonton and I think he would have made them significantly better defensively.

Talent wise I don't think there's really much of a difference between the two teams. As much as people like to **** on the Oilers the Isles really don't have that good of a roster and a ton of the credit for their success has to go to Trotz and his systems. Makes his goalies lives much easier.

That is because you aren't familiar with the Islanders players.
Forwards maybe underwhelming but the defense has young talent.
Right now Pulock has eight points in his last eight games for a team that plays a defensive style.
Everybody gets excited about fancy numbers. The only stat that counts is wins and Trotz is a great coach but he's only as good as his players.
In the end talent wins out.

LamorielloAndSon

May 28, 2018
That is because you aren't familiar with the Islanders players.
Forwards maybe underwhelming but the defense has young talent.
Right now Pulock has eight points in his last eight games for a team that plays a defensive style.
Everybody gets excited about fancy numbers. The only stat that counts is wins and Trotz is a great coach but he's only as good as his players.
In the end talent wins out.
I think it’s both I think any team with the right coaching can get into the playoffs and make noise, that’s just the parity of the league

NHL WAR

Sep 29, 2018
The addition of those two would have tipped the scales closer to stable than dysfunctional, but that doesn't mean they would instantly be a contender. Would have took prime Sam Pollock and Scotty Bowman to make these Oilers a contender in a matter of months.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Yup, well maybe not exactly the same amount but definately would have them in a playoff spot and ALOT better 100%.

Majority of people wrote off NYI when they lost JT in the offseason and Lou acquired/signed all those guys that people felt were 3rd/4th line grinders... These 2 guys are MASSIVE reasons for NYI success. Somehow they are a way better team now without JT

I have no question what so ever they would have improved the Oilers a ton

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
Lou got full control of the isles Hockey Ops. Oilers ownership has old guys still around, unwilling to move them.

So no.

But I hope whoever gets in there has same mindset because I love the team first over players because all this talk where it’s just McDavid and being worried about wasting his years is nauseating. If McDavid retired tomorrow the team still lives. Just make the team better damn.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
The answer seems to be a resounding no. There are too many fatal flaws that need attention in Edmonton for a coach and GM to fix in under a season.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
No.

Bringing Trotz in doesn't change the fact the Oilers forward group is still piss poor. Icing slow plugs and ahl players isn't going to win you a lot of games in this league.

Maybe they have a hot start/good 1st half when teams aren't firing on all cylinders but i doubt same success.

Instant

Feb 20, 2018
if the offseason went differently and Lou ended up in Edmonton and was able to bring Barry trotz in would they be having a similar season to what the isles are doing now?

I know it's easy to say that Lamoriello and Trotz turned this team around (and they did, don't get me wrong), but there was also one crucial change that allowed all of this to happen - the ownership. Ledecky and Malkin - well, mostly Malkin, because he's the one in big boy pants with big money - took their sweet time, but they are finally getting shit done. Without Malkin giving Lou full autonomy over hockey decisions, without them putting a lot of money into Belmont and paying Trotz...

So yeah, I'll forever be happy that Lamoriello and Trotz ended up with the Isles, but without the new owners that wouldn't be possible. And maybe the Oilers also need a bigger change than GM and HC.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
They would be better yes, but not the same record as the Isles.

Trotz - Simply put I think he's the best coach in the NHL. If he had the Oilers from day 1, they would have more points than they do now.

Lou - Chiarelli made one bad desperate decision after another this season to try and save his job. He took somewhat useful players in Strome and Cagguila and managed to downgrade the talent on this team even more. I don't think Lou would have made any huge splashes, but I think he would have made small positive moves instead of the small negative ones by Chiarelli.

I still maintain that if they hire the right guy, and kick out the OBC, this is still VERY fixable. You have the best player in the game, and a 40g+ plus this season in Drai and Nuge is a great 2C. Klef, Larsson, Bouchard and Nurse aren't a bad start to build a defense from, and Bakersfield has now won 15 in a row with some intriguing prospects.

It will take about 2 years of painful patience. But McDavid can still win a cup in Edmonton if they cut the crap now!

Kegsey

Defense be scared, Hertl coming.
Oct 20, 2011
Canada
Islanders are a young team looking to make a name for themselves and they got the Stanley Cup winning coach right after they lost their star player. That's a huge change of culture.

The Oilers have had the same losing culture for years. That team is broken.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad