Would Lou and trotz gotten this same turn around from the oilers?

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
I think SJ would be the team that benefits most from Lou's steady hand (with a razor in it)

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
I don't think LL would of. He would not want to work under the thumb of the Old Boys Club; would want it to be like Toronto where it was him -> Shanahan -> owners. Thats it.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
If Trotz could convince everyone to play into his team first approach, then absolutely.

A lot of those early Predator playoff teams didn't have a lot of talented scorers, but we did have a lot of 10+ goal scorers who knew how to play defensively. It adds up.

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
No, because Kratz would still be there.

You have to get rid of him first to start a true rebuild.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Boychuk, Hickey, Leddy, Pulock, Toews, Mayfield, Pelech >>>>>>>>>>>> Gravel, Kelfbom, Larsson, Nurse, Russell and what ever other waiver wire pickups the Oilers have used this season on defense.

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
Hall, Eberle, 1st, 2nd for Gagne, Lucic, Griffin Reinhart, Larsson. Nuff said.

Don't forget college player Matt Cairns is in the chain . How's he look ? I hope he can become something I really do because what you posted above is almost criminal on the returns

Sempiternal

Jul 5, 2014
I think the OBC is really overstated. Chiarelli had full authority to make whatever moves he wanted without consulting with others. He negotiated the bloated contracts and made the dumb trades.

BrockLobster

Feb 11, 2013
Long Beach, NY
I don't think Lou would agree to go to a team with the amount of **** heads at the top of the Org that Oilers have. He accepted NYI because he has full autonomy there. Trotz might have gone to Edmonton and I think he would have made them significantly better defensively.

Talent wise I don't think there's really much of a difference between the two teams. As much as people like to **** on the Oilers the Isles really don't have that good of a roster and a ton of the credit for their success has to go to Trotz and his systems. Makes his goalies lives much easier.

The talent level is not even close. Aside from connor drai and nugent i dont think anyone else would make the isles roster.

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
The talent level is not even close. Aside from connor drai and nugent i dont think anyone else would make the isles roster.

Come on, you sound like a Leaf fan. You wouldn't trade Hickey for Klefbom or Nurse 1-for-1?

My answer to the question is a resounding maybe. I think it would be necessary for Lou to gain the amount of control he's gained with the Islanders, so there's a "buck stops here" attitude for all decisions.

I have to assume in this scenario Lane Lambert & especially Mitch Korn also come with Trotz to Edmonton. Seeing how casually the "talent level" of Greiss was completely dismissed after a horrid last season, I wonder if either Talbot or Koskinen embrace Korn's system the way Griess & Lehner had. Or if GM Lou goes after Lehner on the Oilers as opposed to Koskinen.

Trotz is another factor that cannot be easily dismissed. I wouldn't mind the Isles making a play for Pulj just to see if Trotz can work his magic and land us another stud from Edmonton - how would Pulj's system have gone with Trotz as coach day 1, working through improvements in his game the way Trotz worked with Barzal to make him more of a two-way center.

BrockLobster

Feb 11, 2013
Long Beach, NY
Come on, you sound like a Leaf fan. You wouldn't trade Hickey for Klefbom or Nurse 1-for-1?

My answer to the question is a resounding maybe. I think it would be necessary for Lou to gain the amount of control he's gained with the Islanders, so there's a "buck stops here" attitude for all decisions.

I have to assume in this scenario Lane Lambert & especially Mitch Korn also come with Trotz to Edmonton. Seeing how casually the "talent level" of Greiss was completely dismissed after a horrid last season, I wonder if either Talbot or Koskinen embrace Korn's system the way Griess & Lehner had. Or if GM Lou goes after Lehner on the Oilers as opposed to Koskinen.

Trotz is another factor that cannot be easily dismissed. I wouldn't mind the Isles making a play for Pulj just to see if Trotz can work his magic and land us another stud from Edmonton - how would Pulj's system have gone with Trotz as coach day 1, working through improvements in his game the way Trotz worked with Barzal to make him more of a two-way center.

Hickey isnt currently on the roster. But i guess klef could take pelechs spot.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
If Lamoriello received complete control over hockey operations and convinced Trotz to join like he did on Long Island, they’re probably in a playoff spot right now.

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
Keep thinking that if Edmonton had someone like Cizikas it would go a long way to help. They needed to hit on a few later picks in general and I think that’s the big difference.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Maybe I am over valuing players on my team but I think Islanders strength the past few years has always been they have above average depth players(they just lack top end talent) so Islanders buying into a team system might be a bit easier then some other teams

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
I’m sure there’s a chart for this somewhere but I’m curious about how many non first round picks ended up being solid NHLers for the Oilers vs other teams. In NY’s case it’s a lot right now, and if you can add late firsts (Tito and Nelson)... it’s just a huge help to hit on those every so often, especially if you’re bad at picking at #5.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
I’m sure there’s a chart for this somewhere but I’m curious about how many non first round picks ended up being solid NHLers for the Oilers vs other teams. In NY’s case it’s a lot right now, and if you can add late firsts (Tito and Nelson)... it’s just a huge help to hit on those every so often, especially if you’re bad at picking at #5.

While I think their is alot to complain about Snow's draft record(especially higher picks) he did seem to do well drafting character in players for the most part in the later rounds

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
I think the oilers would be better but the Islanders play as a team and have all bought into the system and I'm not sure the Oilers wouldn't be as good as the Islanders are. Very broken hockey program in Edmonton.

Last edited:
Reactions: RegDunlop

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
I doubt they would have joined the Oilers unless the dysfunctional Old Boys Club were purged completely. They want to win hockey games and not to run a wellfare office for the ex-players from the 80's.
Lou is one of the founding fathers of the old boys club

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad