Would LA still pick Byfield in a redraft?

Would LA select Byfield again if they had a chance to redo the pick

• Total voters

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
I think LA made this pick knowing that he was further away than Stutzle and hoping the payoff was better longterm. They probably still think that, but man Stutzle is nice

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
Hey Alex Trebex was never wrong... he always had all of the questions!

I believe that if every GM had the opportunity to do this all over again today, there is a very good chance that LA picks Byfield again because Stützle would go #1 and LA might still like Byfield over Lafreniere.

No current GM would pass up on the guy who is the best player currently available in the draft class at 1OA.

Jericho111091

Dec 18, 2014
Paramount Ca
He's given them no reason to change their mind. They picked him knowing he was a bit more raw, but the potential upside is massive. Dont get me wrong, Stutzle looks great though.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Stutzle should have gone first anyway. His upside is just as high if not higher than Lafreniere and Byfield while being good enough for a top 6 role in the NHL right now.

I'd honestly be surprised if Stutzle doesn't have an HoF career. Some players are just built different. People will get offended by this statement guaranteed, but like I said, built different.

Last edited:

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
NHL teams are stubborn. Do you seriously think they’ve decided Stuetzle is better because of about 2 months of play between the WJC and start of this season?

Calgary still thinks Sam Bennett is going to return them a fortune because they drafted him too high in 2014.

And no NHL team should change their mind so quickly unless they see a clear mistake in the evaluations of the players. A few months of one player playing better than another is not that.

Little Psycho

I solemnly swear I'm up to no good
Feb 4, 2007
Non-Yah
As was stated earlier in the thread, the Kings took Byfield fully knowing that he would need a few years to develop. Blake and the Kings would still gladly choose Byfield 2nd overall in a re-draft.
LA lives for projects, especially for a player with Byfields potential. Most players spend years in the ahl or whatnot before joining the Kings

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
NHL teams are stubborn. Do you seriously think they’ve decided Stuetzle is better because of about 2 months of play between the WJC and start of this season?

Calgary still thinks Sam Bennett is going to return them a fortune because they drafted him too high in 2014.

And no NHL team should change their mind so quickly unless they see a clear mistake in the evaluations of the players. A few months of one player playing better than another is not that.

No one has decided Stutzle is better forever in perpetuity. That's unknowable. But he is clearly the best of the bunch now, and that is absolutely very important info that scouts would use in making their lists if they were drafting now.

I get your point about stubbornness. Not everyone is inclined to rethink their big decisions. But if you're actually holding a re-draft then you're having a real scouting process with your whole scouting team all over again. And if they go through a genuine process I think every team comes back with Stutzle at #1.

Again, no one knows if he'll be the best in the long run. For all we know the best player could be Lundell or Jarvis.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
Anyone who says they would is kidding themselves. Stutzle is a solid top 6 player rn, Byfield is far from blowing the lid off in the AHL.

The Kings would 100% trade Byfield for Stutzle right now.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
No one has decided Stutzle is better forever in perpetuity. That's unknowable. But he is clearly the best of the bunch now, and that is absolutely very important info that scouts would use in making their lists if they were drafting now.

I get your point about stubbornness. Not everyone is inclined to rethink their big decisions. But if you're actually holding a re-draft then you're having a real scouting process with your whole scouting team all over again. And if they go through a genuine process I think every team comes back with Stutzle at #1.

Again, no one knows if he'll be the best in the long run. For all we know the best player could be Lundell or Jarvis.

I don’t know that I agree. Stuetzle has pretty bad advanced stats. Lafreniere actually is better in just about all these categories. The difference right now appears to be entirely on ice shooting percentage between the two players, so you can make a pretty good case he’s not the best among the two in the NHL. There’s also everyone else. I had Drysdale at #2 at the draft. Unless Stuetzle showed a level I did not foresee in the reasonable range of possibilities, I was not coming off that opinion after two months of play.

I think it’s flawed to think that a player is proven better if they are better over a small stretch in their D+1 season. I don’t look at the draft like that. I don’t think most NHL decision makers do either. Players build up reputations. That includes the D+1 season, but I don’t think there’s one giant reset after the draft. If you thought Byfield was better at the draft, you probably still should. And I say that as someone who prefers Stuetzle to Byfield and did at the draft.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Stutzle should have gone first anyway. His upside is just as high if not higher than Lafreniere and Byfield while being good enough for a top 6 role in the NHL right now.

I'd honestly be surprised if Stutzle doesn't have an HoF career. Some players are just built different. People will get offended by this statement guaranteed, but like I said, built different.

Offended by it...not at all. It's bold, but Stutzle is a phenomenal player already.

But holding Stutzle's early development against Byfield is stupid, especially given the consensus re: Byfield needing time.

Stutzle popping I guess earlier than expected doesn't change that, hence the premise of the thread being faulty.

As a Sens fan, I'd say they still take Byfield...cause they're not the smartest cookies.

yeah if there's one thing la sucks at it's drafting right

ESH

Jun 19, 2011
Everyone saying Stutzle would go first overall is absolutely being too early with their opinions.

Jeff Skinner won the Calder in his rookie season while Tyler Seguin scored 20 points. Players take time to develop.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Conspiracy Theorist

Jan 30, 2016
I would be surprised if Byfield became better than Stuzle. I guess there is a chance Stuzle doesn't improve from his rookie season but it's unlikely.

OKR

Nov 18, 2015
I absolutely love Stützle, he is my favorite out of the Draft, but lets not count out Byfield. Byfield was drafted as a project with lot of raw-talent and is fairing well in the AHL against men while being so super young, skates well and due to his size has advantages that can’t be taught.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005

Well first the season started 1-2 weeks after WJC, and the draft was 2 months before that.
Also Stützle broke his wrist 2 weeks after draft in October , and was cleared by doctors a few days before WJC started.

rangersfansince08

Oct 8, 2019
They knew what they were getting into with Byfield. They knew he was going to take time and has a greater chance of busting than Laf or Stutzle. But the potential is there too that made them feel comfortable with that risk.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad