Would LA still pick Byfield in a redraft?

Would LA select Byfield again if they had a chance to redo the pick

• Total voters

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
I know it’s early but you gotta think this pick is already not sitting well with LA’s management. I think they would love to have a do over. Stutzle just looks a lot better in the NHL than Byfield does in the AHL.

explore

I was wrong about Don Granato and TNT
Jun 28, 2011
Byfield was always the rawer prospect at draft time. He had a size advantage playing in juniors and scouting reports all pointed out that he needed more time before he was NHL-ready

I don't think LA would change their pick today

Ottawa's choice is looking very good at the moment though

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I don't think anyone in the top-3 changes their minds at this point.

LA has had the opportunity to put Byfield in the NHL for free for months at this point--an opportunity they wouldn't really have any other year--and they haven't, which tells you everything you need to know about how they feel about long-term development. They knew that when they made the pick. Nothing has changed.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I know it’s early but you gotta think this pick is already not sitting well with LA’s management. I think they would love to have a do over. Stutzle just looks a lot better in the NHL than Byfield does in the AHL.

Oh, you've been watching a whole lot of the Ontario Reign, huh? Tell us all how Byfield looks, please.

cudi

Mojo So Dope
Feb 2, 2020
Said yes because Byfield was seen by most as a bit of a project. Lots of people who watched him last season didn't think he should play in the NHL as an 18 year old. LA always been playing the long game with his selection, I don't think enough time has passed to make them change their minds even if Timmy looks great in the show.

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
This applies to like 99% of the takes on this forum.

As for the main question, way too early.

Remember when Samsonov was doing really well in the NHL and Thornton was struggling?

Yeah, this is why you don't make decisions on small sample sizes.
No one is saying Stutzle is for sure going to be better long term, it’s too early to say that. But it’s not too early to say that Stutzle now looks like he is probably going to be the better player. At this point the smart pick is to take Stu 2nd overall. Also, teams do make decisions on small sample sizes. In 2011 Huberdeau wasn’t considered a top 10 pick until he shot up the rankings with a great QMJHL playoff, same thing happened with Horvat in his draft year. A great World Junior and great start to his NHL career is absolutely something that a GM would consider when making a decision.

Last edited:
Reactions: CanadianSharks

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
No one is saying Stutzle is for sure going to be better long term, it’s too early to say that. But it’s not too early to say that Stutzle now looks like he is probably going to be the better player. At this point the smart pick is to take Stu 2nd overall. Also, teams do make decisions on small sample sizes. In 2011 Huberdeau wasn’t considered a top 10 pick until he shot up the rankings with a great QMJHL playoff, same thing happened with Horvat in his draft year. A great World Junior and great start to his NHL career is absolutely something that a GM would consider when making a decision.
It is too early to say that.

Reactions: UncleOscar

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

He's on almost exactly the Nail Yakupov rookie pace. How did that movie turn out?

Would you say it's too early to call Stutzle Yakupov?

Reactions: Voight

Bob Barker

Jun 2, 2008
I don't think anyone in the top-3 changes their minds at this point.

LA has had the opportunity to put Byfield in the NHL for free for months at this point--an opportunity they wouldn't really have any other year--and they haven't, which tells you everything you need to know about how they feel about long-term development. They knew that when they made the pick. Nothing has changed.

Said yes because Byfield was seen by most as a bit of a project. Lots of people who watched him last season didn't think he should play in the NHL as an 18 year old. LA always been playing the long game with his selection, I don't think enough time has passed to make them change their minds even if Timmy looks great in the show.

This and this. LA didn't pick Byfield based on how he projects for 2021 (or 2022 for that matter).

Reactions: Hellraising Senator

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
At one point the "no" option was at nearly 70% and it reads as the usual suspects who's who of Sens homers and Kings haters. Did you guys preplan this again? It's getting yawn-worthy.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

volcom92886

Feb 23, 2009
So Cal
As was stated earlier in the thread, the Kings took Byfield fully knowing that he would need a few years to develop. Blake and the Kings would still gladly choose Byfield 2nd overall in a re-draft.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00