Speculation: Would Kovalchuk be of any Interest

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I'm pretty sure he chose LA in part for the life style it affords his family, don't think he would move on that basis unless it's a similar city.

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
I think he wants to be in LA and don't see him waiving for anybody. All the other potential hot temperature/lifestyle markets are on the East coast.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Again, it's a message board. I don't expect them to care about me. The more the "rebuild" idea gets out there, the better chance it has to pick up some steam. The season ticket renewals for next year are going to be lousy. The "casual" fans from the Stanley Cup era aren't going to pay big money to watch this crap, and Blake has nothing to trade of any value that will fix this mess in the short term.

The Kings will have to return to making the long-time fan happy. These are the people that stick with them through the lean times. I won't spend a dime on this team until I see a change in direction and a commitment to a rebuild. We have seen what can happen when there is competent management with a complete rebuild as their agenda.

Yes, if they finish poorly this year then ticket sales for next year will suffer. But they will suffer even more if the team signals a complete rebuild is in the offing rather than just a one year anomoly. Which is why they'll try every way possible to be better next year and make the playoffs. Imagine Staples for the next 3-5 years in a rebuild. Can you say 10,000 per night or worse? Not to mention wasting the prime years of Kopitar, Doughty, and Quick as well as the remaining years of Brown and Kovalchuk.

I understand your pain and frustration but it is the price you're paying for 2012 and 2014. Lombardi tried to build a dynasty on a sandy foundation and it didn't work. Now the organization is doubling down. We both know it won't work but that is obviously the plan. Otherwise, they wouldn't have resigned Doughty or signed Kovalchuk or made a near deal for Patches.

Reactions: KingCanadain1976

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Yes, if they finish poorly this year then ticket sales for next year will suffer. But they will suffer even more if the team signals a complete rebuild is in the offing rather than just a one year anomoly. Which is why they'll try every way possible to be better next year and make the playoffs. Imagine Staples for the next 3-5 years in a rebuild. Can you say 10,000 per night or worse? Not to mention wasting the prime years of Kopitar, Doughty, and Quick as well as the remaining years of Brown and Kovalchuk.

I understand your pain and frustration but it is the price you're paying for 2012 and 2014. Lombardi tried to build a dynasty on a sandy foundation and it didn't work. Now the organization is doubling down. We both know it won't work but that is obviously the plan. Otherwise, they wouldn't have resigned Doughty or signed Kovalchuk or made a near deal for Patches.
The one year anomaly is now going on its fifth year.

Reactions: King Trouty

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
The one year anomaly is now going on its fifth year.

No argument there.

I saw early on what DL was going to do to this team and I walked away in 2011. I was pilloried for that on these boards. They had what I consider to be timely (or charmed) runs in 2012 and definitely in 2014 and were rewarded with two SC. I don't regret for a second missing out on those because it was a team built on a sand foundation and it was all DL making a legacy for himself. This was all VERY predictable. You can join me on the dark side by walking away from them now if you have the conviction of your beliefs to do so. It's not enough to not spend money on them. That's easy. Walk away if you feel that strongly.

Reactions: KingCanadain1976

tapi

Oct 25, 2009
Maybe Kovy for Aho could make sense as a shakeup for the Canes should they tank again. They need more leadership and experience to build a future contender.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
No argument there.

I saw early on what DL was going to do to this team and I walked away in 2011. I was pilloried for that on these boards. They had what I consider to be timely (or charmed) runs in 2012 and definitely in 2014 and were rewarded with two SC. I don't regret for a second missing out on those because it was a team built on a sand foundation and it was all DL making a legacy for himself. This was all VERY predictable. You can join me on the dark side by walking away from them now if you have the conviction of your beliefs to do so. It's not enough to not spend money on them. That's easy. Walk away if you feel that strongly.
I think you made a mistake walking away. I was in attendance for Game 6 in 2012, and Game 5 in 2014 to see the Kings raise the cup. The team had a great three year run and Lombardi seized the moment. Three years was great. Nothing like seeing your favorite team hoist the Stanley Cup. Sorry you missed it.

The big mistake was not recognizing the run was over after the 2014-15 season. They should have never signed Kopitar to the 8-year deal. The Kings will never win anything over the length of that deal. There would have been no shame in admitting it and rebuilding around Drew Doughty.

I won't walk away completely. The Kings are my favorite team, and I will continue to discuss and promote ideas I think will make them a better team and return them to contention in the future.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Maybe Kovy for Aho could make sense as a shakeup for the Canes should they tank again. They need more leadership and experience to build a future contender.
You're right Kopitar is a great leader (shhh, don't tell anyone this isn't true). You already have one of the best leaders from the Kings cup teams as your captain in Carolina.

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
He has a NMC, and I'm sure he's comfy and cozy in LA. Just seems to me to be the type of guy that wants to live in that type of lifestyle LA has to offer. I could be wrong. But I doubt he'd accept being traded anywhere.

Yeah when someone chooses to play for the Kings or Rangers team success isn't their top priority

SETHROLLINS

Mar 2, 2011
What are the terms of his no trade clause? If I remember correctly it's not a full no trade.

VoidCreature

Before you see the light, you must die.
Mar 6, 2015
New Jersey

I'm just going to have to assume this is a joke, because it's one of the worst ideas I've ever seen on this board.

Reactions: BerlinBlueShirt

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
No argument there.

There was a lot that happened in the 2011 calendar year. I gotta ask, which one of them was the last straw?

I think you made a mistake walking away. I was in attendance for Game 6 in 2012, and Game 5 in 2014 to see the Kings raise the cup. The team had a great three year run and Lombardi seized the moment. Three years was great. Nothing like seeing your favorite team hoist the Stanley Cup. Sorry you missed it.

The big mistake was not recognizing the run was over after the 2014-15 season. They should have never signed Kopitar to the 8-year deal. The Kings will never win anything over the length of that deal. There would have been no shame in admitting it and rebuilding around Drew Doughty.

I won't walk away completely. The Kings are my favorite team, and I will continue to discuss and promote ideas I think will make them a better team and return them to contention in the future.

I say this with care, as we've gone back and forth on this topic, but I think you met your match with tomd. Haha. To see all the mistakes Lombardi made prior to the 2012 playoffs is one thing, but to not care as they won the Cup in spite of those mistakes, is fairly fascinating. That's a standard that few fans of any team anywhere have.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
I say this with care, as we've gone back and forth on this topic, but I think you met your match with tomd. Haha. To see all the mistakes Lombardi made prior to the 2012 playoffs is one thing, but to not care as they won the Cup in spite of those mistakes, is fairly fascinating. That's a standard that few fans of any team anywhere have.

How can it be a mistake when you go to three Western Conference Finals in three years and win two Stanley Cups. Lombardi pushed all the right buttons during that time.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
How can it be a mistake when you go to three Western Conference Finals in three years and win two Stanley Cups. Lombardi pushed all the right buttons during that time.

Eventually pushed the right buttons. Lucked out that Carter wanted out of Columbus too, and then didn't have to pay close to the same price as the Jackets did to get him. Was Lombardi figuring he was going to fire Murray when the 11-12 season started? If so, why not do it before it started? That season was falling apart, and the rebuild stalling, until he chucked up a prayer or two.

I'm not sure Kovalchuk is really an asset to trade. He's got a NMC. He just signed a few months ago. It's a 35+ contract, so the cap hit isn't going anywhere for the Kings, another team, or a split between the two. If he wants out, by all means try and find him a good team to play for. Just won't be easy, because that cap hit is locked in until 2021, no matter what as far as I know.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
I mean OP you're asking about Kovalchuk's value at the deadline 4 months too early. There might not be another player in the NHL with as much uncertainty in his value this year

He just came back - lots of question marks about him. Not saying this in a bad way - i'm just saying what his value at the TDL is will be determined almost exclusively on how he plays until then. Maybe he paces towards a 40 goal season and people believe he's as good as ever and his value becomes very, very high. Or maybe LA has a bad year and he fizzles out completely and doesn't even hit 10 goals by February and his contract is seen as a huge liability (like Lucic last year), and he has negative value.

Hard to say. If you're asking about a trade today - i'm sure there'd be a lot of interest, yes, with value somewhere in the middle, as teams are still a bit cautious. He's similar to Radulov on the habs a cpl of years ago - his value will be determined by his play on the ice this year.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
A good prospect and maybe a 2nd round pick. Have to remember Kovalchuk has a NMC and probably would veto a trade to any team in the great white north.

I was thinking teams like Nashville, Tampa Bay, Colorado, possibly Carolina.

Colorado and Carolina may be a step or two away from being true contenders, but would a player like Kovalchuk push them into contention this season. He has been a pleasant surprise for an awful Kings team this season.

One of these is not like the others.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
then the ask would be McDavid
And here I thought you were going to take this conversation in a ridiculous and obscene direction.

If you traded Kovalchuk at 50 percent retainted and a functioning time machine capable of bringing year 2003 Kovalchuk along with him, you still wouldn't get Connor McDavid in return.

Reactions: KINGS17

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad