Speculation: Would Kovalchuk be of any Interest

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
With the Kings off to a flying flop out of the gate and destined to be out of the playoff race before Thanksgiving, are there any contending teams who would consider trading for Kovalchuk at the deadline?

I don't know Kovalchuk's mind. He claims he came back to the NHL to win a Stanley Cup. That is obviously not going to happen with the Kings over the course of his 3-year contract. If he didn't come back just to live on the beach and collect a fat paycheck, would a contending team want to take him on for the rest of this season and the next two seasons?

The Kings can and should be willing to retain some of his salary as this organization is going nowhere with this roster anytime soon. Kovalchuk's cap hit is $6.25M.

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
I'd take him in Edmonton 50% retained.

Good option to play with Drai/Rieder and a one-t option for the #1pp.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
I'd take him on the Flyers, mostly just so i can listen to my friends back jersey moan and complain about him when i go home :p

The Burdened

May 1, 2017
Eventhough he'd be a luxury, I'd take him on the Flyers easily

If LA retained, I'd imagine he'd return something good to go towards their rebuild.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
What kind of return are you hoping for?
A good prospect and maybe a 2nd round pick. Have to remember Kovalchuk has a NMC and probably would veto a trade to any team in the great white north.

I was thinking teams like Nashville, Tampa Bay, Colorado, possibly Carolina.

Colorado and Carolina may be a step or two away from being true contenders, but would a player like Kovalchuk push them into contention this season. He has been a pleasant surprise for an awful Kings team this season.

Last edited:

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Kovalchuk ain't going anywhere

guy has 10pts in 12games which is better than more than a few $6m players AND he's playing on the 3rd line on some nights PLUS he's playing on a god awful team... and people here are talking about retaining up to 50% LOL

so for sure he's gonna rot in LA
...and the Kings don't need Kovalchuk to be in last place, they can do that without him.

Reactions: BerlinBlueShirt

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
He has a NMC, and I'm sure he's comfy and cozy in LA. Just seems to me to be the type of guy that wants to live in that type of lifestyle LA has to offer. I could be wrong. But I doubt he'd accept being traded anywhere.

Reactions: A91 and go4hockey

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
He has a 35+ NMC. He has a history of leaving places he doesn't want to play. He wants to be in LA.

Don't see him being open to waive.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
He has a NMC, and I'm sure he's comfy and cozy in LA. Just seems to me to be the type of guy that wants to live in that type of lifestyle LA has to offer. I could be wrong. But I doubt he'd accept being traded anywhere.
Yeah, I recognize Luc Robitaille and Rob Blake may have turned this back into an organization where players come to do what Luc and Rob did as playrers with the Kings. That is, live on the beach and never win a damn thing.

Luc Robitaille has been and will continue to be a disaster as an executive for the Kings.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
LA is not retaining anything. He's been the one bright spot for the King's this season. If Kovalchuk wanted out because he wants to go win, I'm sure Kings would accommodate that for him, but they're not retaining in a trade, this season. To get them to retain for 3 seasons, the sweetener must be greater than a typical first round pick.

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018
I am a fan of having a contending team. The Kings won't be contending again until they go through the inevitable pain of a rebuild. Only fools are content to be a black hole team.

I'm betting the management group, coaching staff, and every player on the ice for LA doesn't think they're a "black hole team". I'd bet they want to win, and will try to do so.

Reactions: Groo and go4hockey

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
I'm betting the management group, coaching staff, and every player on the ice for LA doesn't think they're a "black hole team". I'd bet they want to win, and will try to do so.
I will take that bet.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
I could see the Leafs having interest if Nylander is gone and if salary is held or they can send some back. I want to say the Habs too, but who knows if they'll come back down to earth or not.

KingPuckChoo

Go kinGs Go !
Jun 24, 2007
...and the Kings don't need Kovalchuk to be in last place, they can do that without him.

i get that
my point was, pretty much most offers are low balling by having salary retention as if he's a useless or just serviceable

so you're happy to retain $3m a season ?

that was my point and only point

the things you pointed out are obvious and it's agreed upon, we don't need star players to finish 31st, yes i get that...

Last edited:
Reactions: KINGS17

go4hockey

Oct 14, 2007
Alta Loma CA

It is a very bad look to sign a UFA and trade him the same year. Would scare others away from signing in LA. Plus his NMC was put in for a reason. Not sure he would accept a trade as he chose to play where he is.

Reactions: zaqq

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
If there's one place where there is a silver lining to having your season end early, I'm pretty sure L.A. is high on that list.

Reactions: KINGS17

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad