Speculation: Would Kovalchuk be of any Interest

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
i get that
my point was, pretty much most offers are low balling by have salary retention as if he's a useless or just serviceable

so you're happy to retain $3m a season ?

that was my point and only point

the things you pointed out are obvious and it's agreed upon, we don't need star players to finish 31st, yes i get that...
The point of retention has nothing to do with him as a player. It's so a contending team can fit him in. If you're rebuilding what difference does cap space make? [MOD]

Last edited by a moderator:

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
I could see the Leafs having interest if Nylander is gone and if salary is held or they can send some back. I want to say the Habs too, but who knows if they'll come back down to earth or not.

I can't see Montreal or Toronto being that interested. Montreal is lousy with winger depth and is trying to get younger. Toronto might if Nylander is moved for a D, but even then, considering how carefully Toronto has to manage their cap, acquiring a 35+ contract with a NMC is chancy.

Kovalchuk also HAS to be protected in the expansion draft if its happens when expected.

KingPuckChoo

Go kinGs Go !
Jun 24, 2007
The point of retention has nothing to do with him as a player. It's so a contending team can fit him in. If you're rebuilding what difference does cap space make?

we're against the cap.

And when you have over $30m locked in Kopitar + Doughty + Brown + Quick, not so wise to rebuild.

a retool would suit LA better.

KingsHockey24

Aug 1, 2013
Care to elaborate? Im curious why you think this is bad.

Its obviosuly very early, but he has 10 points in 12 games playing on one of the worst teams in the league. I think 6.25 is more than fair for a 65 point (pace, obviously) scorer..
He'd easily be over a point a game on a good team.

Reactions: Starat327

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
The point of retention has nothing to do with him as a player. It's so a contending team can fit him in. If you're rebuilding what difference does cap space make?

It makes a difference when you're one of the most cap-strapped teams in the league :dunce:

Literally a 2+2=4 type thing. You clearly don't know what you're talking about.

Reactions: go4hockey

bland

Jul 1, 2004
we're against the cap

And when you have over $30m locked in Kopitar + Doughty + Brown + Quick, not so wise to rebuild, titmouse

a retool would suit LA better

What do you mean it wouldn't be wise to rebuild?

It's the only solution. There is no retooling this mess. There is no money, no tradable assets, and very, very few prospects with NHL expectations.

The singular problem was committing so much money for that long to that many players. Giving ten years to an athletic goalie already well into his career was ridiculous. Brown has always been more fan friendly mascot than player, and the Kopitar deal was pure insanity. It didn't matter how good he is, the Kings were never going to be good enough during his prime years to justify paying him $10 million per during his mid 30's.

This team contracted itself into a corner and it can't get out. Nobody here saw that clearly enough time avoid that mess, and the stupid commitments to oldies like Phaneuf and Kovalchuk proves that they are incapable of "retooling".

The only way out of this is a full rebuild.

Reactions: KINGS17

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
It is a very bad look to sign a UFA and trade him the same year. Would scare others away from signing in LA. Plus his NMC was put in for a reason. Not sure he would accept a trade as he chose to play where he is.
Kovalchuk has a NMC. He would have to agree to being traded. If he wants to go, no harm, no foul.

KingPuckChoo

Go kinGs Go !
Jun 24, 2007
What do you mean it wouldn't be wise to rebuild?

It's the only solution. There is no retooling this mess. There is no money, no tradable assets, and very, very few prospects with NHL expectations.

The singular problem was committing so much money for that long to that many players. Giving ten years to an athletic goalie already well into his career was ridiculous. Brown has always been more fan friendly mascot than player, and the Kopitar deal was pure insanity. It didn't matter how good he is, the Kings were never going to be good enough during his prime years to justify paying him $10 million per during his mid 30's.

This team contracted itself into a corner and it can't get out. Nobody here saw that clearly enough time avoid that mess, and the stupid commitments to oldies like Phaneuf and Kovalchuk proves that they are incapable of "retooling".

The only way out of this is a full rebuild.

so with all those terrible unmovable contracts, this is how a rebuild would look like for LA:

tank... get stud young player
3 years RFA
stud player demands $10m - $12m/yr
LA can't, because of said bad contracts already on the books
LA forced to trade away stud player
tank again... get stud young player
3 years RFA
loop

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
i get that
my point was, pretty much most offers are low balling by have salary retention as if he's a useless or just serviceable

so you're happy to retain $3m a season ?

that was my point and only point

the things you pointed out are obvious and it's agreed upon, we don't need star players to finish 31st, yes i get that...
I don't know how much the Kings have to retain. Whatever it makes for the other team in order to get picks and prospects that won't count that much on our cap, so it doesn't matter. Salary cap retention on a deal that runs two years beyond this season is no big deal as the Kings will be sucking at least that long.

I know I don't want Blake to stand pat.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
so with all those terrible unmovable contracts, this is how a rebuild would look like for LA:

tank... get stud young player
3 years RFA
tank again... get stud young player
3 years RFA
loop
You are forgetting the next CBA lockout and with it the likelihood of compliance buyouts. Also, you assume the Kings won't use the same LTIR loophole other teams like Chicago and Toronto have used to great advantage.

Chr1s97

Jul 25, 2018
Montreal
I don't know how much the Kings have to retain. Whatever it makes for the other team in order to get picks and prospects that won't count that much on our cap, so it doesn't matter. Salary cap retention on a deal that runs two years beyond this season is no big deal as the Kings will be sucking at least that long.

I don't think the LAK will have nor want to retain salary on Kovalchuk. Hes 10 pts on 12 game hes an impact player plus hes a RH which is valuable a lot of team need RH scorer. LAK should only retain salary if it can make the other team add a 1st round pick

Reactions: go4hockey

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
I don't think the LAK will have nor want to retain salary on Kovalchuk. Hes 10 pts on 12 game hes an impact player plus hes a RH which is valuable a lot of team need RH scorer. LAK should only retain salary if it can make the other team add a 1st round pick
It's not so much Kovalchuk isn't a good asset. Any retention would be solely based on making a deal work from a salary cap perspective for the other team. So yes, I would expect Rob Blake to ask for an additional asset in return for retaining some cap space on the Kovalchuk deal.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site

Do you trust Blake, Luc, and the LA scouting staffing to do a full rebuild? I sure wouldn't. And unless they get rid of Blake & co, I don't see them going in that direction at all. They'll take a top 5-10 pick this year if that is how things work out but I think most of the trades they make this year will be hockey trades to make them better for next year. No way do they tear this team down with Doughty, Kopitar, Brown, Quick, Kovalchuk, and Carter on the team.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
I can't see Montreal or Toronto being that interested. Montreal is lousy with winger depth and is trying to get younger. Toronto might if Nylander is moved for a D, but even then, considering how carefully Toronto has to manage their cap, acquiring a 35+ contract with a NMC is chancy.

Kovalchuk also HAS to be protected in the expansion draft if its happens when expected.
Not a big deal if Kovalchuk's cap hit is reasonable due to LA retaining some of the cap hit.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Do you trust Blake, Luc, and the LA scouting staffing to do a full rebuild? I sure wouldn't. And unless they get rid of Blake & co, I don't see them going in that direction at all. They'll take a top 5-10 pick this year if that is how things work out but I think most of the trades they make this year will be hockey trades to make them better for next year. No way do they tear this team down with Doughty, Kopitar, Brown, Quick, Kovalchuk, and Carter on the team.
No, I don't trust Robitaille and Blake. Simply making suggestions on a message board on how to make it better in a shorter amount of time. This roster isn't winning jack in the next 3 seasons.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Not a big deal if Kovalchuk's cap hit is reasonable due to LA retaining some of the cap hit.

I fail to see how retention affects an acquiring team's expansion draft concerns all that much.

If it forces you to expose a player you'd rather keep, why would retention on a 35+ year old change the calculus much?

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
I fail to see how retention affects an acquiring team's expansion draft concerns all that much.

If it forces you to expose a player you'd rather keep, why would retention on a 35+ year old change the calculus much?
Fair enough, it probably wouldn't. Most contending teams are not going to worry about it when they are making a deal to win a Stanley Cup.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
No, I don't trust Robitaille and Blake. Simply making suggestions on a message board on how to make it better in a shorter amount of time. This roster isn't winning jack in the next 3 seasons.

But when you are talking about trades that involve picks and prospects you aren't talking about how to make the team better in a shorter amount of time. You are talking about a rebuild. And that is just not going to happen. Start talking about hockey trades (players for players) and you'll be closer to what the plan will ultimately be.

I'm sure they realize that they aren't going to "win" with the current team (if by that you mean the SC). I think they'll look for opportunities to improve the depth and chemistry of the team and hope to snag a 7-8 playoff seed. Then hope for a 2012 or 2014 redux. That will keep the money coming in and the casual fan satisfied.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
But when you are talking about trades that involve picks and prospects you aren't talking about how to make the team better in a shorter amount of time. You are talking about a rebuild. And that is just not going to happen. Start talking about hockey trades (players for players) and you'll be closer to what the plan will ultimately be.

I'm sure they realize that they aren't going to "win" with the current team (if by that you mean the SC). I think they'll look for opportunities to improve the depth and chemistry of the team and hope to snag a 7-8 playoff seed. Then hope for a 2012 or 2014 redux. That will keep the money coming in and the casual fan satisfied.
I don't care what Luc Robitaille's plan is, he should be fired ASAP. I am not a casual fan, and I am not satisfied.

Reactions: King Trouty

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
I don't care what Luc Robitaille's plan is, he should be fired ASAP. I am not a casual fan, and I am not satisfied.

You flatter yourself if you think they care about you. They don't. They'll take the casual fan every day over you because there are more of them and less of you. Sorry to be so honest but there it is.

Reactions: KingCanadain1976

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
You flatter yourself if you think they care about you. They don't. They'll take the casual fan every day over you because there are more of them and less of you. Sorry to be so honest but there it is.
Again, it's a message board. I don't expect them to care about me. The more the "rebuild" idea gets out there, the better chance it has to pick up some steam. The season ticket renewals for next year are going to be lousy. The "casual" fans from the Stanley Cup era aren't going to pay big money to watch this crap, and Blake has nothing to trade of any value that will fix this mess in the short term.

The Kings will have to return to making the long-time fan happy. These are the people that stick with them through the lean times. I won't spend a dime on this team until I see a change in direction and a commitment to a rebuild. We have seen what can happen when there is competent management with a complete rebuild as their agenda.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad