News Article: Would Fedorov be good for Yzerman's personnel?

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
You are so disingenuous with your assessment of Fedorov's achievements.

Lindsay 6 Top 3 scoring finishes in A LEAGUE WITH 6 TEAMS. 5X less than size of Sergei's NHL. Basically the size of the entire Central Division for much of his career.

Yzerman was hardly past his prime from 91-98, when he was frequently still leading the Wings in scoring and winning a Conn Smythe. He scored 100+ points in each of Sergei's first 3 years. Paul Coffey was 7th in the NHL and lead the Wings in scoring and when he won the Norris in 1995 . And once again, we're talking about a league with 5X the amount of teams and players than in Lindsay's era.

But look, I happen to already believe Lindsay is the better player...

Tell me about Sid Abel and Alex Delvecchio. How are they so much more accomplished? Delvecchio has longetivity and 3 Byngs on Fedorov... which is a bit less impressive than a Hart, 2 Selkes, and a Pearson. Abel matches up almost identically.

6 teams doesnt effect the best players scoring though. Whats harder, scoring during expansion when teams are playing guys like John Scott on their defense or with 6 teams when youre playing against a top D every single game? Take the Canadians and Americans in the league right now and see how ridiculously good those teams all are. Youre playing against a Doughty, Weber, Pietrangelo or two every single night.

But I've already talked about Abel and Delvecchio in this thread, go back and read it. Abel is equal in hardware, a long serving captain of a dynasty and didnt have the off ice issues. Delvecchio is the longest serving captain not named Yzerman amongst being top 3 in most major statistics and a captain of a dynasty team. I've already said that as a player Fedorov might have Delvecchio beat but not as a Red Wing. I've also said hes pretty close with Abel as a player as well but as a wing Abel having the C, no off ice stuff etc puts him ahead.

Those are the only two he has a claim to be close to and hes still the least accomplished. I'm done with this conversation though its repetitive. People live Fedorov, they grew up watching him and cant separate the historical significance of others accomplishments without thinking its an insult to Fedorov. Should've ended the conversation when people tried to claim hes on equal footing with Lindsey really but oh well

Reactions: The Zetterberg Era

TheClap

Jul 20, 2014
6 teams doesnt effect the best players scoring though. Whats harder, scoring during expansion when teams are playing guys like John Scott on their defense or with 6 teams when youre playing against a top D every single game? Take the Canadians and Americans in the league right now and see how ridiculously good those teams all are. Youre playing against a Doughty, Weber, Pietrangelo or two every single night.

But I've already talked about Abel and Delvecchio in this thread, go back and read it. Abel is equal in hardware, a long serving captain of a dynasty and didnt have the off ice issues. Delvecchio is the longest serving captain not named Yzerman amongst being top 3 in most major statistics and a captain of a dynasty team. I've already said that as a player Fedorov might have Delvecchio beat but not as a Red Wing. I've also said hes pretty close with Abel as a player as well but as a wing Abel having the C, no off ice stuff etc puts him ahead.

Those are the only two he has a claim to be close to and hes still the least accomplished. I'm done with this conversation though its repetitive. People live Fedorov, they grew up watching him and cant separate the historical significance of others accomplishments without thinking its an insult to Fedorov. Should've ended the conversation when people tried to claim hes on equal footing with Lindsey really but oh well

The "off ice stuff" is management propaganda. Selfish owner didn't want to pay him what he was worth so he signed an offer sheet. If Illitch isn't a stingy old bastard, that's a non-issue. Fast-forward to 2003, Fedorov wants to want wait to sign a deal until his divorce with Anna Kournikova was finalized, Illitch kept lowering the offer. Feeling betrayed, he left for LESS money in Anaheim.

But anyway, thanks for acknowledging he's at least as accomplished or even more than a couple up there as a hockey player.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Here is where I stopped reading: “The guy played defense for a season and probably would have stolen one of Lidstrom's Norris wins had he stayed.”

I realize what a stiffy you have over Lidstrom so sorry to trigger you. I know how fun it is to drop that internet cliche on hitting the ignore button but maybe stop and think about it first. So you are telling me that a guy with Fedorov's speed size and skill including a Hart and two Selke's in his cabinet, that has played D and got accolades for his performance,,,, if fully transitioned career-wise to a defenseman during his prime, could 'never' be part of a Norris dialog....... m'kay ....... ;)

Reactions: Vyacheslav

Hockeyfan2390

Nov 19, 2010
Kansas City, MO
Looks like Feds needs a new job. Bring him home Stevie!

Ilitch family would never allow it. They still hold that stupid grudge against him for the Carolina offer sheet in 1998 and his leaving in 2003, that's why his number isn't retired despite being one of the greatest and most exciting players in team history.

I hated Fedorov for leaving in 2003, but I was a teenager at the time. I've grown up. The Ilitch family needs to as well.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Think Fedorov, Larionov and Fetisov should work as some kind of connection for all Russian things.

Just like Lidström, Kronwall and Zetterberg are mostly for Swedish things.

All brains and still working together and probably has loyalty for Red Wings thanks to history.

Reactions: cowboycoffee

DoMakc

Jun 28, 2006
Think Fedorov, Larionov and Fetisov should work as some kind of connection for all Russian things.

Just like Lidström, Kronwall and Zetterberg are mostly for Swedish things.

All brains and still working together and probably has loyalty for Red Wings thanks to history.

It seems like people (Henkka) were living under the rock a couple of years - Fetisov is on US sanction list and very unlikely to be associated with Red Wings in any kind of things going forward.

Reactions: Sentinel

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Ilitch family would never allow it. They still hold that stupid grudge against him for the Carolina offer sheet in 1998 and his leaving in 2003, that's why his number isn't retired despite being one of the greatest and most exciting players in team history.

I hated Fedorov for leaving in 2003, but I was a teenager at the time. I've grown up. The Ilitch family needs to as well.

As I've said in another thread, I'm convinced (admittedly without evidence) that Devellano is the holdup. I don't know that the Ilitch kids would harbor the same resentment but Devellano is from the old guard and thinks players are cattle.

Reactions: FabricDetails

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Will be interesting to see what he does next he has a pretty good track record for GM and Coaching at CSKA Moscow.

Not sure how both sides are still feeling. I know to some degree Fedorov always wanted to get out of Yzerman's shadow, which I think ultimately is a big part of what ended up hurting his career more than he anticipated it would. He may have matured beyond some of that rockstar mentality but coming here now would certainly put him right back under Yzerman :DD I don't know how well they would work together to be honest and if the ownership would even consider it. He does have a lot to offer just not sure about the fit.

FabricDetails

HF still in need of automated text analytics
Mar 30, 2009
As I've said in another thread, I'm convinced (admittedly without evidence) that Devellano is the holdup. I don't know that the Ilitch kids would harbor the same resentment but Devellano is from the old guard and thinks players are cattle.
The quotes are there from Jimmy D.

"If I'm standing in the way then I'm standing in the way."

Lazlo Hollyfeld

Mar 4, 2004
Last edited:

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
As I said on the mains. Most Wing fans would trade Chris Ilitch and/or Jimmy D for Fedorov being back in the fold.

heyfolks

Apr 30, 2007
Sergei was one of the most gifted players I have ever sen play the game but he isn't the sharpest tool in the shed. I like him, but no.

Reactions: Sentinel

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Sergei was one of the most gifted players I have ever sen play the game but he isn't the sharpest tool in the shed. I like him, but no.
Good thing he's being talked about a potential coaching gig and not capologist.

RED WINGS STOMP

Nov 28, 2022
Don't we have enough of the old guard in the fold as is?

I am not sure Sergei is someone that guarantees improvement for the team by becoming our coach. Same with Larionov.

heyfolks

Apr 30, 2007
Good thing he's being talked about a potential coaching gig and not capologist.

Coaching....

1712181227394.jpeg

Reactions: Retire91

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
It's nice to see my hunch confirmed.

Devellano is wrong on this one. What a dick.
Devellano also loved trashing our prospects to the media before Yzerman took over as GM. Dude's 81 and doesn't even have a ninth grade education, I don't think he's firing on all cylinders anymore. I imagine he'll be listed as a "Senior Vice President" until the day they lower him into the ground.

I went back a few weeks ago and read a bunch of stuff about Fedorov's holdout and the 2003 contract. I've kind of thawed from "f*** that guy" to being ambivalent about retiring his number, but the fact remains that he signed that massive contract in 97 and stopped being a PPG player until his contract year in 02-03, and then immediately fell off the planet. The guy had all the talent in the world but no heart to go with it.

Reactions: SoupNazi

Lazlo Hollyfeld

Mar 4, 2004
Devellano also loved trashing our prospects to the media before Yzerman took over as GM. Dude's 81 and doesn't even have a ninth grade education, I don't think he's firing on all cylinders anymore. I imagine he'll be listed as a "Senior Vice President" until the day they lower him into the ground.

I went back a few weeks ago and read a bunch of stuff about Fedorov's holdout and the 2003 contract. I've kind of thawed from "f*** that guy" to being ambivalent about retiring his number, but the fact remains that he signed that massive contract in 97 and stopped being a PPG player until his contract year in 02-03, and then immediately fell off the planet. The guy had all the talent in the world but no heart to go with it.

Devellano was also the mastermind behind the Adam Oates trade, so he wasn't firing on all cylinders then either.

Lots of players signed offer sheets in that era. Sakic, Tkachuk, Scott Stevens, Selanne. It was the whole Karmanos thing that made that even more contentious. But that didn't actually have anything to do with Fedorov. And some of Fedorov's falling off in points was Bowman moving him to defense part of the time. Like with many players under Bowman, there was no love lost between him and Feds. Fedorov was one of the few to openly criticize Scotty.

Devellano can go on and on about loyalty but at the end of the day it's a business and he shipped out a fair amount of players who were nothing but loyal to the Wings. He's been rewarded for his loyalty but the Wings didn't succeed until he was no longer GM.

Fedorov's number absolutely deserves to be in the rafters.

Last edited:

heyfolks

Apr 30, 2007
Noted intellectual Rick Tocchet...

View attachment 845649

Well, he has the vig covered, and an list of dark shadow "assistants." < Seriously, how he was let back into the League is beyond me. Operation Slapshot.

Sergei was dating a minor and left for Hollywood and.... hey, hire the guy. I don't think they will, but he's one of the players I've ever seen play the game. I don't think it translates, but I've been wrong before.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Devellano is starting to strike me as one of those dinosaurs boomers that was just in the vicinity of good decisions made by others throughout his post playing career and in reality his only accomplishment there is just being a bummer to be around.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad