News Article: Would Fedorov be good for Yzerman's personnel?

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
4th all time Red Wing in Goals, 6th in points.
5th all time in Red Wing Playoff Goals, 3rd all time in playoff points.
3 Cups.
First ballot HOFer.
The last Red Wing to win a Hart trophy and the only to win since the days of Gordie Howe.

Get outta here with this "least accomplished" nonsense.

Mr. I was a stubborn old man who couldn't forgive and forget. The petty grudges should be dead and buried with him.

Retire 91

And if they want him here in some management capacity, that'd be great. Given Yzerman's penchant for drafting Russians in Tampa, bringing Fedorov aboard in the front-office seems like it'd be a good fit.

Cool.

Now list off the accomplishments of the other players that are up there. Hes got the least out of the bunch

TheClap

Jul 20, 2014
Cool.

Now list off the accomplishments of the other players that are up there. Hes got the least out of the bunch

Well right off the bat, only Abel and Howe have a Hart Trophy of the 7 jerseys retired. That's more than anyone else up there besides those two.

In terms of individual accomplishment and team success as a Wing forward, he can go toe-to-toe with Abel, Delveccio and Lindsay.

Reactions: Sentinel

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
I don't have the time to do it and its not the OP's topic but I would still love to see it. Let's put career to career, I highly doubt Segeri doesn't line up laterally.

Sergei, Zetterberg and Daytsuk all deserved to be retired. If it's believed those kinds of players come around too many times a franchise to deserve retirement then we've become too used to hall of fame rosters and don't have an appreciation for how rare those players are.

Reactions: VelenoLikeAFeleno

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Well right off the bat, only Abel and Howe have a Hart Trophy of the 7 jerseys retired. That's more than anyone else up there besides those two.

In terms of individual accomplishment and team success as a Wing forward, he can go toe-to-toe with Abel, Delveccio and Lindsay.

Hes one of 3 with a Hart trophy sure, but lets not pretend none of those guys have hardware. Lidstrom was a much better player and Red Wing, that hart trophy doesnt change anything about that. Kelly would have 4 or 5 norris trophies if it existed at the time, a lack of a hart trophy doesnt make Fedorov better. Look up everything Delvechio did with the wings, Fedorov isnt there. Sawchuk is a goalie so the hart was unlikely and if you think Feodorov can go toe to toe with Ted Lindsey youre out to lunch. Not to mention all of those guys were competing with a top 3 hockey player of all time on their team for the Hart year in and year out so that argument holds even less water.

Yzerman doesnt have a Hart, you wanna argue Fedorov as a more accomplished player or Red Wing?

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Let's stop pretending that Fedorov is some kind of player that comes along on the top of a roster any given era. Fedorov was more than that. Let's also add to the fact that Fedorov won the Hart the same season he won the Selke. How often does a team have a Hart/Selke winner on the team? Let's also add to the fact that Fedorov was one of the most well rounded complete players the league has ever seen. The guy played defense for a season and probably would have stolen one of Lidstrom's Norris wins had he stayed. If you go back to the 1990's fedorov was not just the best wing he comes up in a lot of conversations as the world's best player in the 1990's. People that say he didn't have career longevity they may be right on the stat sheet but not when you look at clutch scoring. NHL record most over time points. Still the oldest player in NHL history to score a game 7 overtime winner. Imagine that, game 7 everything on the line in overtime Boudreau looks down the bench. Puts 39-year-old Fedorov out. Maybe his stat sheet took a hit in later years but the skill he had never went away. <--- correction was not an OT goal like I falsely remembered, was a goal towards the end of regulation. GWG not OTG

If we are going to do some weighted averages the players in the 50's were also competing with a lot less players to win hardware. If we want to talk impact to the game Fedorov was one of first Russian players in the game and helped pave the way for Russians to come overplay in the NHL. That is not a small impact on the game.

Show me another redwing that is not already in the rafters with the same number of seasons with the team, that played here in their prime, had his numbers, had his complete game, his hardware, his standing records, his 3 cups rings, and made NHL history.

Last edited:

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
upload_2019-10-8_17-45-57.png

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
I don't have the time to do it and its not the OP's topic but I would still love to see it. Let's put career to career, I highly doubt Segeri doesn't line up laterally.

Sergei, Zetterberg and Daytsuk all deserved to be retired. If it's believed those kinds of players come around too many times a franchise to deserve retirement then we've become too used to hall of fame rosters and don't have an appreciation for how rare those players are.
Dude they just left and we already have the next eurotwins Nyquist and Ta

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Cool.

Red Wings #s
Fedorov 400-554-954 1 Hart. 2 Selkes. 3 Cups.
Lindsay 335-393 728 1 Art Ross. 4 Cups .
Sid Abel 183-260-463 1 Hart Trophy. 3 Cups.

How does Fedorov not compare to Abel and Lindsay?
He won his cups in a 30-team league or something, right? Not a six team league.
He was Hart Trophy winner in a 640-player league. Not a 130-player league.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Sergei, Zetterberg and Daytsuk all deserved to be retired. .

100 percent agreed.
Red Wings fans spoiled by 97 to 02....they bought into way much bullshit about Red Wings greatness and seem to think that the 08 cup, in its own right, is a heck of an accomplishment.

They did that in a 30-team league. Not the six-team leagues that Abel and Lindsay did their winning in.

Here's the thing. If 97 to 02 never happened - there would be no doubt in anyone's mind that Datsyuk and Zetterberg would be retired.

Reactions: Ricelund

313ryans

Nov 23, 2016
Here is where I stopped reading: “The guy played defense for a season and probably would have stolen one of Lidstrom's Norris wins had he stayed.”

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Here is where I stopped reading: “The guy played defense for a season and probably would have stolen one of Lidstrom's Norris wins had he stayed.”

I don't think he would have, but would it matter if you did this afterwards

-Scotty Bowman

Because Scotty said he believed Fedorov could have won Norris Trophies. Dominant player, one of the greatest talents I have ever seen. Jersey Retirement really doesn't have to do with that in Detroit with the Red Wings where having your jersey retired might be among the hardest things to accomplish in all of sports.

Fynn

Apr 23, 2017
all the off ice soap opera between feds and wings should have nothing to do with his number being retired . i dont care what feds said to mr i or jimmy d or if they think feds did something wrong leaving , thats between those individuals . jersey retirement is about what a player did on the ice for the team and the fans and absolutely nothing else . only way that varies is if a player were to commit some type moralless criminal act against society , then yes he shouldnt be respected . but its childish behavior if mr i and or jimmy d have prevented feds number retirement because of personal conflict with feds .

It's laughable that fans think there is some set of rules for jersey retirement. The rules are whatever the f*** the team owner says they are. If the Ilitch family doesn't want to retire Sergei's number for any reason, that's up to them. Their team, their rules.

As far as Fedorov joining the Wings front office, even he himself admitted in the article that what he's done with CSKA has little comparison to an NHL team. Leave well enough alone.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Red Wings #s
Fedorov 400-554-954 1 Hart. 2 Selkes. 3 Cups.
Lindsay 335-393 728 1 Art Ross. 4 Cups .
Sid Abel 183-260-463 1 Hart Trophy. 3 Cups.

How does Fedorov not compare to Abel and Lindsay?
He won his cups in a 30-team league or something, right? Not a six team league.
He was Hart Trophy winner in a 640-player league. Not a 130-player league.

I've said he might have an argument with Abel as a player talent wise but the off ice stuff tilts it in Abels favour, plus Abel was part of one of the most historic lines in hockey, captain ofa dynasty and actually has a hart and a Richard to go with it. Trophy wise Abel and Fedorov are close but they arent really in anything else. Captain of a dynasty, centered the production line etc. But I'll give you that it could be close somewhat(Abel still has a better resume though).

Anyone who is a wings fan and would say Fedorov has a claim over Lindsay though is an absolute laugher though. In most hockey circles Lindsay is actually considered a better player all time than Yzerman or at the very least very comparable. Your little comparison of trophies up there doesnt tell even close to the whole story though. Lindsay with todays trophies would have an Art ross, a Richard, he finished 2nd in league scoring three times and third another two times. Top 3 in scoring 6 times, 4 top 3 finishes in goals amd finished first in goals per game twice. He led the league in assists twice as well. On top of that he was a member of the production line and was on a ridiculous dynasty that set the league record for presidents trophies in a row. He was also the reason for the players unionising and had a major impact away from the ice as well through that.

If you call yourself a wings fan and think Fedorov is anywhere close to Lindsay as a wing or player you need to do some serious learning or youll make yoursself look bad posting about it online

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
I've said he might have an argument with Abel as a player talent wise but the off ice stuff tilts it in Abels favour, plus Abel was part of one of the most historic lines in hockey, captain ofa dynasty and actually has a hart and a Richard to go with it. Trophy wise Abel and Fedorov are close but they arent really in anything else. Captain of a dynasty, centered the production line etc. But I'll give you that it could be close somewhat(Abel still has a better resume though).

Anyone who is a wings fan and would say Fedorov has a claim over Lindsay though is an absolute laugher though. In most hockey circles Lindsay is actually considered a better player all time than Yzerman or at the very least very comparable. Your little comparison of trophies up there doesnt tell even close to the whole story though. Lindsay with todays trophies would have an Art ross, a Richard, he finished 2nd in league scoring three times and third another two times. Top 3 in scoring 6 times, 4 top 3 finishes in goals amd finished first in goals per game twice. He led the league in assists twice as well. On top of that he was a member of the production line and was on a ridiculous dynasty that set the league record for presidents trophies in a row. He was also the reason for the players unionising and had a major impact away from the ice as well through that.

If you call yourself a wings fan and think Fedorov is anywhere close to Lindsay as a wing or player you need to do some serious learning or youll make yoursself look bad posting about it online

The old "anyone who disagrees with is stupid, or looks stupid, or looks bad, or isn't a fan" argument.
Sorry man, doesn't wash.

Finishing second in scoring when you play on the best line in a six team league?
I'll stick with my argument.

Also - since when did "unionizing" count for a damn thing in jersey retirement. That's what got him shipped out of town.
That's the kind of thing that probably HURT his chances of getting his jersey retired.
That's probably why his jersey was retired 20 years after Howe's.

I think the Wings' 3 cups in 6 years from 97-02, in a huge league, was far more impressive than anything the Wings did in the 50s in a six team league.

You can make reasonable arguments for Lindsay and Abel being more impressive than Feds. I don't subscribe to them. But whatever.

But if you're arguing AGAINST Fedorov being up there while arguing for Lindsay and Abel, that's pretty unreasonable.

TheClap

Jul 20, 2014

The Production Line is legendary.
You know what other line was legendary? The Russian F***ing Five. A line having documentaries made about them and their impact on the NHL, over 20 years later.

You want to talk about Lindsay's impact on the game, starting the player's union, being a great ambassador for the game. I agree.
How about him being one of the first to defect from Soviet Russia and helped the NHL grow internationally? That's pretty damn important too.

You know what's just as impressive as winning 7 President Trophies in a row and 4 Cups in a 6 team league?
Winning your division 8 times, your conference 4 times, Presidents trophy and Stanley Cup 3 times in a 30 team league.

It's difficult to compare point standings when comparing a 6 team league vs a 30 team league, so let's just see how they did against their teammates:
Lindsay led the Wings in scoring 3 times. Not bad for an era shared with other HOFers like Howe, Delvecchio, and Abel
Fedorov led the Wings in scoring 3 times. Not bad for an era shared with other HOFers like Yzerman, Shanahan, Coffey, etc

And we're not even touching his prowess as one of the best 2-way forwards ever, or how he elevated his dominance to an even greater level in the playoffs.

I don't mind that you ultimately give the nod to Lindsay or Abel. But you're damn ignorant if you refuse to acknowledge Sergei is neck-and-neck with them.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mlotek and Sentinel

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
The Production Line is legendary.
You know what other line was legendary? The Russian F***ing Five. A line having documentaries made about them and their impact on the NHL, over 20 years later.

You want to talk about Lindsay's impact on the game, starting the player's union, being a great ambassador for the game. I agree.
How about him being one of the first to defect from Soviet Russia and helped the NHL grow internationally? That's pretty damn important too.

You know what's just as impressive as winning 7 President Trophies in a row and 4 Cups in a 6 team league?
Winning your division 8 times, your conference 4 times, Presidents trophy and Stanley Cup 3 times in a 30 team league.

It's difficult to compare point standings when comparing a 6 team league vs a 30 team league, so let's just see how they did against their teammates:
Lindsay led the Wings in scoring 3 times. Not bad for an era shared with other HOFers like Howe, Delvecchio, and Abel
Fedorov led the Wings in scoring 3 times. Not bad for an era shared with other HOFers like Yzerman, Shanahan, Coffey, etc

And we're not even touching his prowess as one of the best 2-way forwards ever, or how he elevated his dominance to an even greater level in the playoffs.

I don't mind that you ultimately give the nod to Lindsay or Abel. But you're damn ignorant if you refuse to acknowledge Sergei is neck-and-neck with them.

Sergei isnt neck and neck with Lindsay. Go post that in the history of hockey forum and youll get laughed out of there. Youre only comparing their scoring finishes with the wings because Lindsay played with a top 3 player of all time. Their scoring finishes are nowhere near each other. Leading the wings in scoring vs Yzerman and Shanahan is actually not even very comparable at all to playing against Howe.

I get people love Fedorov in here and he was electric, great player who helped the wings to 3 cups. I'm a huge fan of his too but lets not just re write wings history to make his case for jersey retirement sound better. If you think hes neck and neck with Lindsay you dont know your history of the game or youre trying to stretch the truth to make the case for your favourite player sound better. From an all time ranking stand point, Fedorov is likely inside the top 100 but not by a huge amount 80-90 probably while Lindsay would have a case for somewhere from almost 20-40. They really werent close

Sadekuuro

Aug 23, 2005
Cascadia
Still the oldest player in NHL history to score a game 7 overtime winner. Imagine that, game 7 everything on the line in overtime Boudreau looks down the bench. Puts 39-year-old Fedorov out.

It's a good story, except there were ~5 minutes left in regulation. His only OT winner was in 1992.

I'm pro-Sergei, just sayin'.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
It's a good story, except there were ~5 minutes left in regulation. His only OT winner was in 1992.

I'm pro-Sergei, just sayin'.

Dang sorry for that I could have swore it was OT, I jumped out off my couch like it was.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Sergei isnt neck and neck with Lindsay. Go post that in the history of hockey forum and youll get laughed out of there. Youre only comparing their scoring finishes with the wings because Lindsay played with a top 3 player of all time. Their scoring finishes are nowhere near each other. Leading the wings in scoring vs Yzerman and Shanahan is actually not even very comparable at all to playing against Howe.

I get people love Fedorov in here and he was electric, great player who helped the wings to 3 cups. I'm a huge fan of his too but lets not just re write wings history to make his case for jersey retirement sound better. If you think hes neck and neck with Lindsay you dont know your history of the game or youre trying to stretch the truth to make the case for your favourite player sound better. From an all time ranking stand point, Fedorov is likely inside the top 100 but not by a huge amount 80-90 probably while Lindsay would have a case for somewhere from almost 20-40. They really werent close

I am not disagreeing with you on that point, I just think there needs to be some consideration that Fedorov did make hockey history in the Russian wave. He was one of the very first waves of Russians to come over when you had to actually defect from Russia to come here. He was the first Russian Red Wing which eventually led to the Russian 5 we all got to enjoy. That is not a small part of wings history or NHL history for that matter.

Peek Fedorov was not only more dominant than Zetterberg and Daytsuk, neither Daytsuk or Zetterberg have that kind of story on their resume. That is not taking anything away from D and Z but if you need "hockey history" like Lindsey to be in the rafters what is going on record for D and Z? Fedorov deserves the recognition for his contribution to the team, it shouldn't be minimized by some standard that he already meets when you look at things objectively. If Daytsuk and Zetterberg are retired and Fedorov is not then it would only be because of an organizational grudge. If the red wings organization decides against it because of the Karmanos offer sheet and the contract breakdown there is not much fans can do about that. But the argument that he does not deserve it falls flat IMO.

I am in favor of retiring D and Z even if Feds is not. All 3 deserve to be recognized for what they did in the 90's - 00's

TheClap

Jul 20, 2014

Yzerman is 7th ALL time in NHL scoring. Paul Coffey is 13th. Shanahan is 26th. That's some tough in-team competition. Factor in that Yzerman's points per game is actually better than Gordie Howe's... yes, it is absolutely comparable and just as impressive.

By who's all time ranking standpoint? Yours? Very subjective. Any all-time ranking is going to be incredibly subjective.
According to Ken Campbell, Lindsay is 41 and Feds is 58. Abel and Delvecchio don't even crack his list.
Ken Campbell ranks the Top 100 NHL players of all time - TheHockeyNews
NHL.com has their own top 100, which Abel, Delvecchio, Lindsay, and Fedorov all crack, but they don't order their rankings: 100 Greatest NHL Players

Anyway you try to slice it, Fedorov's career accomplishment are very comparable to Abel, Lindsay, Delvecchio.

It took the Red Wings over 25 years to retire the jerseys of those three.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
I am not disagreeing with you on that point, I just think there needs to be some consideration that Fedorov did make hockey history in the Russian wave. He was one of the very first waves of Russians to come over when you had to actually defect from Russia to come here. He was the first Russian Red Wing which eventually led to the Russian 5 we all got to enjoy. That is not a small part of wings history or NHL history for that matter.

Peek Fedorov was not only more dominant than Zetterberg and Daytsuk, neither Daytsuk or Zetterberg have that kind of story on their resume. That is not taking anything away from D and Z but if you need "hockey history" like Lindsey to be in the rafters what is going on record for D and Z? Fedorov deserves the recognition for his contribution to the team, it shouldn't be minimized by some standard that he already meets when you look at things objectively. If Daytsuk and Zetterberg are retired and Fedorov is not then it would only be because of an organizational grudge. If the red wings organization decides against it because of the Karmanos offer sheet and the contract breakdown there is not much fans can do about that. But the argument that he does not deserve it falls flat IMO.

I am in favor of retiring D and Z even if Feds is not. All 3 deserve to be recognized for what they did in the 90's - 00's

I'm not sure what is going on record for D and Z to be honest and given the current standard for jersey retirement I dont tihnk they deserve to be up there either. If it took Red Kelly as long as he did with what he did with the wings to get up there than those guys should take a really long time.

The argument that he doesnt deserve it doesnt fall flat. The argument that hes the next most deserving is legit though. As of right now, like I've said a bunch of times already... given the current standard for retirement Fedorov falls just short of the other guys. If people want to lower the standard for him and Datsyuk and Zetterberg by all means, but thats another debate. I actually dont really care either way on if they do or not, especially on Fedorov (his resume is better than D and Z) but to say he deserves it compared to the others up there just isnt true.

Yzerman is 7th ALL time in NHL scoring. Paul Coffey is 13th. Shanahan is 26th. That's some tough in-team competition. Factor in that Yzerman's points per game is actually better than Gordie Howe's... yes, it is absolutely comparable and just as impressive.

By who's all time ranking standpoint? Yours? Very subjective. Any all-time ranking is going to be incredibly subjective.
According to Ken Campbell, Lindsay is 41 and Feds is 58. Abel and Delvecchio don't even crack his list.
Ken Campbell ranks the Top 100 NHL players of all time - TheHockeyNews
NHL.com has their own top 100, which Abel, Delvecchio, Lindsay, and Fedorov all crack, but they don't order their rankings: 100 Greatest NHL Players

Anyway you try to slice it, Fedorov's career accomplishment are very comparable to Abel, Lindsay, Delvecchio.

It took the Red Wings over 25 years to retire the jerseys of those three.

No it isnt just as impressive, because Fedorov wouldnt have beat Coffey or Yzerman in their offensive primes. Fedorov wasnt going up against prime Yzerman, Coffey etc. And points per game has nothing to do with team finishes or league scoring finishes. Yzerman and Coffey racked up their points per game in the 80s and werent those same offensive guys when Fedorov was up against them. Points per game also has nothing to do with the fact that Howe is at worst, the 3rd best offensive forward of all time and Lindsey was directly against him. The league was at its lowest scoring ever at that time so using point per game isnt a fair comparison.

As for by whose ranking... any ranking you find is going to have Lindsey noticeably ahead. The only one that you could find had them 20 apart. Its ridiculous that actual red wing fans would even try to argue this point. Lindsey was insanely good, better than Yzerman even from an all time stand point. Seriously, read into it a bit, spend some time on the history board or something. 6 top 3 scoring finishes in the league and people are going to try to compare Fedorov to him, its LOL worthy

TheClap

Jul 20, 2014
I'm not sure what is going on record for D and Z to be honest and given the current standard for jersey retirement I dont tihnk they deserve to be up there either. If it took Red Kelly as long as he did with what he did with the wings to get up there than those guys should take a really long time.

The argument that he doesnt deserve it doesnt fall flat. The argument that hes the next most deserving is legit though. As of right now, like I've said a bunch of times already... given the current standard for retirement Fedorov falls just short of the other guys. If people want to lower the standard for him and Datsyuk and Zetterberg by all means, but thats another debate. I actually dont really care either way on if they do or not, especially on Fedorov (his resume is better than D and Z) but to say he deserves it compared to the others up there just isnt true.

No it isnt just as impressive, because Fedorov wouldnt have beat Coffey or Yzerman in their offensive primes. Fedorov wasnt going up against prime Yzerman, Coffey etc. And points per game has nothing to do with team finishes or league scoring finishes. Yzerman and Coffey racked up their points per game in the 80s and werent those same offensive guys when Fedorov was up against them. Points per game also has nothing to do with the fact that Howe is at worst, the 3rd best offensive forward of all time and Lindsey was directly against him. The league was at its lowest scoring ever at that time so using point per game isnt a fair comparison.

As for by whose ranking... any ranking you find is going to have Lindsey noticeably ahead. The only one that you could find had them 20 apart. Its ridiculous that actual red wing fans would even try to argue this point. Lindsey was insanely good, better than Yzerman even from an all time stand point. Seriously, read into it a bit, spend some time on the history board or something. 6 top 3 scoring finishes in the league and people are going to try to compare Fedorov to him, its LOL worthy

You are so disingenuous with your assessment of Fedorov's achievements.

Lindsay 6 Top 3 scoring finishes in A LEAGUE WITH 6 TEAMS. 5X less than size of Sergei's NHL. Basically the size of the entire Central Division for much of his career.

Yzerman was hardly past his prime from 91-98, when he was frequently still leading the Wings in scoring and winning a Conn Smythe. He scored 100+ points in each of Sergei's first 3 years. Paul Coffey was 7th in the NHL and lead the Wings in scoring and when he won the Norris in 1995 . And once again, we're talking about a league with 5X the amount of teams and players than in Lindsay's era.

But look, I happen to already believe Lindsay is the better player...

Tell me about Sid Abel and Alex Delvecchio. How are they so much more accomplished? Delvecchio has longetivity and 3 Byngs on Fedorov... which is a bit less impressive than a Hart, 2 Selkes, and a Pearson. Abel matches up almost identically.

lomekian

Oct 28, 2013
London
A few thoughts;
1) Anyone who makes absolutist statements comparing players from different eras instantly loses a little credibility. Lindsey was probably better for longer compared to his peers than Fedorov. Federov appears to have had more talent and physical potential. When dealing with great great players, it is incredibly hard to make direct comparisons between different eras with different rules, different styles, different team-mates etc. Both were fantastic and fantastically influential players in different excellent teams. Would Lindsey be able to cope with the pace of the modern NHL? Would he be effective in a league with contemporary rules? Or against the clutch and grab behemoths of the late 90s early 2000s? Would Feds have coped with the physicality of the 50s? Would he been half as effective without the elite athlete professionalism available to him that wouldn't have been in say 1960? Equally would Federov be thought of more highly had he played a decade on the same line as Shanahan and Yzerman with Lids and Coffey/Vladdie/Murphy behind that would have allowed to put up another 30 points a season? Claiming certainty in any of these points is a waste of time.
2) The off ice stuff WILL always be a consideration. Feds initiating the wings Russian revolution and overseas influx is a massive plus. His offer sheet nonsense with Carolina a big minus. For me the former is more important than the latter, but it may (like some others in the rafters) take a while for the water to pass under the bridge.
3) Getting the number retired for the wings is not like many other teams. The Wings retired numbers are either pioneers of brilliance or top 3 or 4 players of their generation. For most teams Feds would be retired. Hey may yet get there as a wing, but how many numbers is it appropriate to retire? Who decides? I think until he gives his blessing to someone else #91 is unofficially retired, like Vladdie's.
4) Feds is undoubtedly the 'next one in', unless there's a burning desire to go historical. If they want to retire any jersey in the next 15 years minimum, it should be his.

5) back on topic...I'd love to see SY discuss possibilities with SF. Front office staff? Russian team link? Scout? Feds has great knowledge, is very personable, has been very successful in Russia (with the odds admittedly tilted a bit in his favour), and has instant Kudos. One of the best Russian players of all time and his NHL resume garners instant respect. Who knows if anything could be worked out, but it would remiss of the organisation not to at least look at the options.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->