News Article: Would Fedorov be good for Yzerman's personnel?

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
Bring him “home?” He already is home. You know - Russia.

As for whether or not he’d be good for Yzerman’s personnel, does anyone have enough info about his executive career to make an educated judgment there? Being a great hockey player isn’t enough to be a great hockey exec.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California

As for whether or not he’d be good for Yzerman’s personnel, does anyone have enough info about his executive career to make an educated judgment there? Being a great hockey player isn’t enough to be a great hockey exec.
In the article is states he was a GM for a storied franchise that became bad for a long time and he turned them around.

Reactions: Konnan511 and LazyT

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
I'm all for it, the treatment of players past and present has more of an effect than many realize. Hang his number in the rafters where it belongs, give him a job scouting and developing our prospects in Europe if he wants to stay on his own side of the pond. We have the financial resources to do it, why not?

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Just read it. If not here, somewhere else. I'd love to see Feds in an executive position.
Although, he always struck me as a bit too trusting (which is how he got scammed for millions).
But his knowledge of Russian hockey, and, more importantly, people in Russian hockey, could be invaluable.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com

He's been GM of CSKA, which made the KHL finals 3 out of 4 years.

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
I take it you didn't read the article:
But from Fedorov’s perspective, at least, that’s all in the past. And when you ask him if he could see himself back here again – his mother and brother still live in Michigan – the hesitation you hear is mostly him not wanting to sound presumptuous.

“I don’t want to start any rumors or anything, or put any kind of pressure,” Fedorov said. “But humanly, if we put aside everything else, why not? I would love to. …

“I can only say – and not (even) from professional point of view – I would just like to help. If I can help our organization to get better in any way … I’d be glad to do it. In any capacity.”

Ricelund

Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
i was fortunate to meet Sergei in 1998,i worked at CSA.i doubt Ilitches will be forgiving
Weren't there rumors the Wings wanted to bring him back at the 2008 trade deadline?

The jersey retirement might be off for as long as Devellano is around but I don't think things are as bad between the Wings and Fedorov as people seem to think.

Edit: From a Khan post in 2012:
Q. Just a quick question: Who shot down the trade that would have brought (Sergei) Fedorov back to the Wings in 2008? -- Matthew.

A. I don't know. I know the Red Wings were interested. Maybe Washington offered Columbus a better deal. Maybe Fedorov didn't want to come back.

Last edited:
Reactions: Vyacheslav

Squirrel in the Hole

Be the best squirrel in the hole
Feb 18, 2004
Sydney
In the article is states he was a GM for a storied franchise that became bad for a long time and he turned them around.

You could say the same (debateably) about Brendan Shanahan, but where would he fit?

There can only be one man at the top, and that's Stevie. We have a whole host of ex-players in the organization (Draper, Cleary, Fischer, Verbeek), what role would there be for Fedorov?

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
You could say the same (debateably) about Brendan Shanahan, but where would he fit?

There can only be one man at the top, and that's Stevie. We have a whole host of ex-players in the organization (Draper, Cleary, Fischer, Verbeek), what role would there be for Fedorov?
I'm sure something could be figured out. Fedorov stated he would like to help the organization in any way possible. Maybe a scout? who knows, that would be for Yzerman and Fedorov to discuss.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
I am a huge fan of Fedorov but I have always been skeptical of his management-level expertise. My gut always said he would be a good coach or a good GM but not a great one. I always felt Yzerman would be great, he is just that kinda guy. I am not the most knowledgeable about his team in KHL but it is a big market team, he is GM of like the Yankees of the KHL so he has an open checkbook and a destination where players want to be. If he could do something like scouting I would be okay but management I would be hesitant? I personally think he is an incredible individual talent but not a great leader. I don't imagine him giving up a GM job to be a scout.

SCD

Apr 8, 2018
The only person qualified to answer this is Yzerman.

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
Just read it. If not here, somewhere else. I'd love to see Feds in an executive position.
Although, he always struck me as a bit too trusting (which is how he got scammed for millions).
But his knowledge of Russian hockey, and, more importantly, people in Russian hockey, could be invaluable.
I agree that his knowledge of the game (especially in Russia) would be valuable for the Red Wings.

If I remember correctly - he was one of several players who got scammed by the same guy...I believe this 'pos' used the $$$ to throw parties (in Vegas which of course included cocaine, and strippers/prostitutes) for celebs such as Roger Clemens...

ThankGord

Jul 11, 2018
GR, MI
If he has the skills and knowledge to fill a position of need, why not? If it's a publicity stunt coupled with nepotism, nah.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I wouldn't be surprised. They are good friends from what I understand, which is interesting since they had minor squabbles at times as teammates. Fedorov has kept his home in Bloomfield Hills still to this day and spends a decent chunk of his off-season there from what I have heard.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
He's been GM of CSKA, which made the KHL finals 3 out of 4 years.

I dont know if thats really all that impressive. The KHL is a joke of a league with a bunch of owners and the president scratching each others backs with corruption. Did Fedorov turn them around with smart hockey moves? Its possible but who the hell actually knows with how that league is ran

Retire his jersey first then we'll talk.

If his jersey is retired he's likely the least accomplished up there and left with a bad impression. A lot of other teams likely would but the wings are the hardest rafters to get into. Seems like back stabbing Mr I. to wait for him to die to just retire it afterwards with everything he did for the wings and Detroit

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
Weren't there rumors the Wings wanted to bring him back at the 2008 trade deadline?

The jersey retirement might be off for as long as Devellano is around but I don't think things are as bad between the Wings and Fedorov as people seem to think.

Edit: From a Khan post in 2012:

IIRC, The Blue Jackets wanted a steeper return from the Wings because they were in the same division or something along those lines. Makes sense because it's hard to believe 2008 Ken Holland wouldn't match or slightly outbid what the Caps paid to get Fedorov (a 18/19YO College D prospect taken #46OA in the most recent (2007) draft at the time).

The closest the Wings had to that was Brendan Smith who was taken 19 spots earlier at #27OA in the same draft. Let's say there's a crystal ball that you can ask to see anything that happened at any time. So you ask it what happened to the Fedorov to Detroit rumors in February 2008. Then it shows you Ken Holland on his cell phone rejecting a straight up Brendan Smith for Sergei Fedorov trade. I'm not sure how I'd feel....

Ricelund

Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
IIRC, The Blue Jackets wanted a steeper return from the Wings because they were in the same division or something along those lines. Makes sense because it's hard to believe 2008 Ken Holland wouldn't match or slightly outbid what the Caps paid to get Fedorov (a 18/19YO College D prospect taken #46OA in the most recent (2007) draft at the time).

The closest the Wings had to that was Brendan Smith who was taken 19 spots earlier at #27OA in the same draft. Let's say there's a crystal ball that you can ask to see anything that happened at any time. So you ask it what happened to the Fedorov to Detroit rumors in February 2008. Then it shows you Ken Holland on his cell phone rejecting a straight up Brendan Smith for Sergei Fedorov trade. I'm not sure how I'd feel....
This Malik post from March of '08 says CBJ wanted a top prospect and a first:
Larin waits until the second-to-last paragraph to mention the real deal-killer, the fact that the Blue Jackets wanted Filppula or another top prospect, and the Wings' first-round pick, to trade Fedorov within their own division. That's a price exponentially higher than the Wings were willing to pay for the 38-year-old, hard-miles-on-the-odometer version of Sergei Fedorov.
Also, you're right that Washington got Fedorov straight up for Ted Ruth, who went #46 overall in 2007. He never played in the NHL.

It's too bad, a reunion would've been cool, especially since they went on to win the Cup. I wonder if Helm would've been called up had Fedorov been in the lineup.

Last edited:

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
I dont know if thats really all that impressive. The KHL is a joke of a league with a bunch of owners and the president scratching each others backs with corruption. Did Fedorov turn them around with smart hockey moves? Its possible but who the hell actually knows with how that league is ran

If his jersey is retired he's likely the least accomplished up there and left with a bad impression. A lot of other teams likely would but the wings are the hardest rafters to get into. Seems like back stabbing Mr I. to wait for him to die to just retire it afterwards with everything he did for the wings and Detroit

Man...backstabbing Mr I?
A little dramatic for my taste.

And Fedorov is better than a few guys up there.

Reactions: AHall88

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
I have to disagree, Fedorov's top-end god mode prime was with the wings and he has the cup rings to show it most of the time leading the team in playoff points. The other players up there might have career longevity and retirement as a wing above Feds but talent-wise he is in that crowd. I also personally feel like management dodges a lot of the responsibility on why he went to another team.

Sorry this thread is not about retirement lol. I still think nah on the Fedorov in management role unless something seems like a good fit. No nepotism please.

Reactions: HisNoodliness

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
Fedorov has played in a plethora of alumni games since he has retired for the Wings, I don't see why he wouldn't be welcomed here. He has an eye for talent and has really good management skills. Bring him in and let him help us, at the very least he'd be a great ambassador to help bring in Russians here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad