Proposal: Would any team take the Lucic contract for multiple picks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

scotchtapejr

Dec 28, 2018
Lets say Oilers were able to get

2nd for Chiasson
2nd for Kassian
3rd for Talbot
3rd for Petrovic
4th for Brodziak
4th for Gravel

Would you/any team take 6 draft picks to take on Lucics contract with no retention?

More? Less?

At what point does stacking a draft in a teams favor and increasing the odds of drafting stars worth taking on a bad contract of that magnitude?

Please be kind/gentle to me. This is my first thread here. Your responses couls crush me.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
No. Those players likely won't return that. Kassian and Petrovic mainly.

Even if all those players did, you're looking at late picks in all those rounds. Not worth it for anyone.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017

2nd for Chiasson
2nd for Kassian
3rd for Talbot
3rd for Petrovic
4th for Brodziak
4th for Gravel

Would you/any team take 6 draft picks to take on Lucics contract with no retention?

More? Less?

At what point does stacking a draft in a teams favor and increasing the odds of drafting stars worth taking on a bad contract of that magnitude?

Please be kind/gentle to me. This is my first thread here. Your responses couls crush me.
Only if the Oilers retain 50%

scotchtapejr

Dec 28, 2018
No. Those players likely won't return that. Kassian and Petrovic mainly.

Even if all those players did, you're looking at late picks in all those rounds. Not worth it for anyone.

Im pretty sure the Oilers could get a 2nd for Kassian with some retention, especially from a smaller team worried about Winnipeg, Boston, or even VGK/Reeves.

Same with Petrovic.

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
Nobody’s taking on Lucic’s contract without either an incentive that will hurt to give up or a cap dump that’s almost as bad coming back your way.

Reactions: bruins4thecup65

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site

2nd for Chiasson
2nd for Kassian
3rd for Talbot
3rd for Petrovic
4th for Brodziak
4th for Gravel

More? Less?

If you could give up that and a first you might get a competent gm to do it. Or just call Benning.

Reactions: bruins4thecup65

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax

2nd for Chiasson
2nd for Kassian
3rd for Talbot
3rd for Petrovic
4th for Brodziak
4th for Gravel

More? Less?

Sorry but most of those returns are a dream .

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014

2nd for Chiasson
2nd for Kassian
3rd for Talbot
3rd for Petrovic
4th for Brodziak
4th for Gravel

More? Less?

In what universe Kassian gets a 2nd round pick... or any of those players get what is suggested? Anyways, all those picks added together amount to around a mid 1st round pick, and I doubt any team takes Lucic for a mid first round pick .

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Did you think Brian Boyle was going to fetch a second? Because i didnt.

Brian Boyle is a center. Its not the first time a good 4th line C that can play up has gotten a 2nd at the deadline. Its also not the first time a rental Brian Boyle has returned a 2nd.

I'm honestly shocked that you wouldn't predict it. But I note that none of those guys on your list are a two-way center that scores.

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
Your player valuations in OP are off imo:

Chiasson: late 2nd or a 3rd
Talbot: 3rd
Kassian : 4th/5th
Petrovic: 4th/5th
Brodziak: won't be moved probably
Gravel: 3rd/4th

No, no one would take Lucic for a bunch of 3rd/4th/5th rounders.

Personally, I'd be willing to give someone Pulju + 2nd + another pick (3rd or 4th) to take on Lucic and except a small 1 or 2 year dump in return. For example, Lucic + Puljujarvi + 2nd + 3rd for Panik.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Nobody is going to take that contract for those kinds of picks no matter the quantity. Now if you retain 50% then you'll probably get some takers since 3 mil for those picks at least seems more realistic for the situation but the odds of even that happening are still next to zero. I think Edmonton will have to hold on to him and hope that a compliance buyout is part of the next CBA.

scotchtapejr

Dec 28, 2018
In what universe Kassian gets a 2nd round pick... or any of those players get what is suggested? Anyways, all those picks added together amount to around a mid 1st round pick, and I doubt any team takes Lucic for a mid first round pick .

2 2nds and a 3rd would probably get you a mid round first. Between 18-24 is pretty likely imo. Especially in a weak 2019 draft class. Teams would appreciate more bullets.

I believe any team dreading facing Ryan Reeves in the first round would be willing to pay a premium for Kassian, with retention of course.

I believe any team facing Winnipeg would/should consider it.

Ive seen how he can affect a series in the playoffs.

I believe he can get a 3rd as is, a 2nd with 50% retention.

I believe Petrovic gets a 3rd from someone like Pittsburgh, also with 50% retention.

Thinking about it now, if I were Ottawa or Arizona. Id take the trade and then retain 50% in another trade for more picks. Even a third.

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
Paging John Chayka...
Shhhh, he might actually catch wind of this. :laugh:

In all seriousness, I don't think we could afford to take him on and even attempt to be competitive. Maybe if there was 50% retention and we got to send a "dump" of our own back with a shorter contract we could find a way to make it work but there is really no incentive for the Coyotes to do that. We would need to be chasing one of your bigger names where Lucic @50% was the add to make the deal happen and you guys got actual value back in return, not just cap savings.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
offer NYR Lucic, with Bear, Maksimov, Kesslring, and 2d'20
and take back Smith with retention and 2/3 D and F prospects or young players(not top 4 D or top 4 F prospects)

dammm that Lucic deal is endless (4 more x$6M)
but by offering NYR a bit of Cap balance, and prospects that meet need, you might find common ground

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad