Would another Rocket make OV the GOAT goalscorer?

edog37

Jan 21, 2007
Pittsburgh
-Lemieux had 4 seasons ranked in the Top 20 All Time in Goal scoring including an 85 Goal season. And was plagued with Cancer and a spinal disc in his back. Ovi would never beat Mario in his prime. Never.

Agreed. Lemieux had an arsenal of weapons to score goals. Devastating slapshot, steel wrist shot & of course his ability to stick handle in a phone booth. However his deadliest weapon was his unpredictability. Ovechkin is very predictable. Lemieux was not. Lemieux scored off a face off...on a dare & a wager.

Fallschirmyager

Jun 25, 2009
Agreed. Lemieux had an arsenal of weapons to score goals. Devastating slapshot, steel wrist shot & of course his ability to stick handle in a phone booth. However his deadliest weapon was his unpredictability. Ovechkin is very predictable. Lemieux was not. Lemieux scored off a face off...on a dare & a wager.

This isn't the slight you think it is because nobody is really stopping him anyway. It's not just DC announcers who call it "his office".

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
I disagree. Players used to smoke during intermission. They would drink like fish at night and do god knows what, back before sports leagues really tested for anything.

Yes Ovy likes to party but I'm sure he has a nutritionist and dietician. His mom (biggest influence on him) would make sure of it.

original.jpg
oviedvd1110k.jpg

Pics don't lie. You can't tell me that Ovechkin is in better shape than guys like Bobby Hull or Gordie Howe.

He's just a great talent. He's not better than guys from the 80's because of his conditioning. It is due to his talent.

Sentinel

May 26, 2009
New Jersey
www.vvinenglish.com
He's already one of them. In my opinion, he's topped Pavel Bure. I consider him better than Bure because in his rookie year he had nobody to work with and put up amazing numbers. I think right now he's second ever because I know he'll pass Brett Hull and Jagr/Howe played for a long time. Although, I could see Ovi playing till he's 42 or older.

But Bure was just... amazing. He was my favourite player before I chose Sakic.
He topped Bure but for a different reason: he is much, MUCH healthier and, therefore, much more consistent. Bure is the only player in the talks for the "greatest of all time" who rivals Ovy in having subpar teammates. "Nobody to work with" pretty much defines Bure's prime.

Funny how Bure is generally viewed on the same level as Jari Kurri, even though the chasm in linemates is literally THE BIGGEST EVER.

Jordan Belfort

Jan 13, 2016
Anaheim CA
Other than Mario, all those players you have listed are behind Crosby and maybe Ovechkin in terms of career accomplishments and individual seasons.

What are you basing your opinion that the league is easier now on? There is nothing statistically to back that up.
Lol those guys are behind Ovi and Crosby? That’s a joke. Did you even watch back in the great days?

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
Pics don't lie. You can't tell me that Ovechkin is in better shape than guys like Bobby Hull or Gordie Howe.

He's just a great talent. He's not better than guys from the 80's because of his conditioning. It is due to his talent.

To be honest, back in Howe's or Hull's day they were both ridiculously ahead of average player in physique. I'm not taking anything away from their domination but it was "easier" to separate yourself physically back in the 50's and 60's than it is today. OV is naturally gifted athlete who back in his peak was a freak of nature in terms of explosiveness for a guy his size. But he was never THE strongest and/or fastest guy in the league. Among one, for sure. But his separation in strength and speed to average player is way smaller than it was with Howe or Hull.

Reactions: Acallabeth

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
To be honest, back in Howe's or Hull's day they were both ridiculously ahead of average player in physique. I'm not taking anything away from their domination but it was "easier" to separate yourself physically back in the 50's and 60's than it is today. OV is naturally gifted athlete who back in his peak was a freak of nature in terms of explosiveness for a guy his size. But he was never THE strongest and/or fastest guy in the league. Among one, for sure. But his separation in strength and speed to average player is way smaller than it was with Howe or Hull.

They also had a lot more ice time. According to the book "The Devil and Bobby Hull", the Golden Jet once had an eight minute shift against the Habs in the Stanley Cup finals!

Imagine if Hull or Howe were told to go all out for 45 seconds instead of pace themselves for three to five minutes. They would tear up the league even more. That is why the game "seemed" slow back then, there were three lines and the stars never left the ice.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
They also had a lot more ice time. According to the book "The Devil and Bobby Hull", the Golden Jet once had an eight minute shift against the Habs in the Stanley Cup finals!

Imagine if Hull or Howe were told to go all out for 45 seconds instead of pace themselves for three to five minutes. They would tear up the league even more. That is why the game "seemed" slow back then, there were three lines and the stars never left the ice.

That's a good point. 8 minute shift?! :laugh: Insane.

There are so many different variables to consider when doing a comparison from today to 50-60 years back.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad