Worst trades your team avoided

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Gaudreau + Flames 1st (6th Overall: Monahan) for Seguin

Never heard of this one.

I think the ROR offer sheet could have potentially put us out:

NOTHING (ROR lost on waivers) for 2.5 million + Klimchuk or Poirier + Kanzig?

Or am I looking at the wrong draft?
Also unsure if this is considered a "trade".

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Also, that was Pronger's price at the 09 deadline. Nobody on in the deal except for Varlamov was even in the NHL at that point, and I've heard significant question that all of Varly/Kuz/Carlson/Alzner would have to go.

Not making that deal was the worst move of GMGM's tenure, not the other way around.

This is about hindsight. If that's all of those 4, it's not even close. If it's 3, that might end up being #1C, #1D and starting goalie. Alzner now is great #3D that is constantly improving still. It's not a guaranteed Cup even if that trade is made.

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact: finally here!!!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
Never heard of this one.

I think the ROR offer sheet could have potentially put us out:

NOTHING (ROR lost on waivers) for 2.5 million + Klimchuk or Poirier + Kanzig?

Or am I looking at the wrong draft?
Also unsure if this is considered a "trade".

There were articles released later on that claimed ROR would not have been subject to waivers, but I'm not sure if they're accurate.

Last edited:

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
corey perry for mike comrie

good god

And a first round picks as well.

Lowe refused Comrie for Perry and 1st rounder because he wanted to extort 2 million from comrie to make the trade go through.

And you wonder why oilers fans have had to suffer for so many years of awfullness.

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
The opposite of bad for the Hawks but they almost acquired Frank Mahovlich for $1M in 1962, which would've given them the ridiculous Hull/Mahovlich LW combo

But Tommy Ivan got rejected at the door with the cheque

Hatfield

Jan 27, 2007
They might have. Or not.

If they would have walked to a Cup after that trade it would have been worth a consideration. But for a great chance at a Cup? No way i would i even consider that trade now. Carlson is a young top-10 (at worst, top-15) D, Varlamov is a top-10 starting goalie, Alzner is a great 2nd pairing D on a steal of an contract, Kuznetsov is 2nd among all C's in scoring, also on a bargain contract.

I think they'd have better chance to win the Cup with this team, this season, than in those years with Pronger.

I heard that the proposed trade was some combination of Varlamov, NEUVIRTH, Carlson and Alzner going the other way. They might have been able to keep Varly (until they'd eventually find a way to flip him for Latta). Either way, a player like Pronger was definitely what they needed at the time.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014

Adam Spylo

Feb 26, 2012
:habs

There never seems to be consensus on the pieces offered, but that Lecavalier trade that was blocked by the TBL owner saved us.

Some say Pacioretty + Price + Subban + 1st (I don't believe it)
I've heard Price + Plekanec + Gorges or Plekanec + Higgins + Gorges

Whatever it was... praise the lord it never went through!

I would have easily traded Plekanec + Higgins + Gorges for Lecavalier. That trade would also mean that the Habs didn't pull the trigger on the Gomez trade which hurt us more.

Mr Tadakichi

Never Reads OP Before Posting
Nov 23, 2014
Not trades, but Lowe/MacT almost signed some pretty stupid contracts (Heatley, Clarkson).

The Pronger trade was pretty bad in hindsight. Smid didn't pan out, but if the rumours of Perry being involved were true, then they made a huge mistake in taking Lupul instead.

edit: woops, this is trades that ALMOST happened.

LeafsLegendAkiBerg

The original great 8
Oct 12, 2006
To the Leafs:
Vincent Lecavier

To the Lightning:
Nik Antropov, Jonas Hoglund, Tomas Kaberle, Brad Boyes/1st Round Pick

Tampa fans must be happy this never happened. Hoglund was pretty useless, Antropov was injury prone, Boyes never amounted to much. Kaberle is the only good piece in the trade.

hallhopkinseberle

Jul 14, 2007
london
Not trades, but Lowe/MacT almost signed some pretty stupid contracts (Heatley, Clarkson).

The Pronger trade was pretty bad in hindsight. Smid didn't pan out, but if the rumours of Perry being involved were true, then they made a huge mistake in taking Lupul instead.

edit: woops, this is trades that ALMOST happened.

wait wat.

Heatley has never been a free agent

DraberlyakMcHallkins*

there was a rumour that MacT had talked about something around Hall for M Staal+1st+, i thank the gods every day that man was fired

Juicy Pop

BONK
Apr 26, 2014
Scranton, PA
To the Leafs:
Vincent Lecavier

To the Lightning:
Nik Antropov, Jonas Hoglund, Tomas Kaberle, Brad Boyes/1st Round Pick

Tampa fans must be happy this never happened. Hoglund was pretty useless, Antropov was injury prone, Boyes never amounted to much. Kaberle is the only good piece in the trade.

That 1st used for Steen if I recall correctly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad