Worst trades your team avoided

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
Varly was the backup to Theodore for most of that year.

Yea but we saw how bad theodore was in the postseason twice. Had to be replaced by varlamov twice in two years. Without varlamov Washington was probably out in 4-5 games

bobbyt 91*

Wasn't there a deal close between the Flyers and Leafs involving Carter and Kaberle?

Juicy Pop

BONK
Apr 26, 2014
Scranton, PA
Yea but we saw how bad theodore was in the postseason twice. Had to be replaced by varlamov twice in two years. Without varlamov Washington was probably out in 4-5 games

Different teams, different styles but do remember that Philly went to 6 games against Chicago with a combo of Boucher and Leighton.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Semyon Varlamov + Karl Alzner + John Carlson

Semyon Varlamov + Karl Alzner/John Carlson + WSH 2010 1st (Evgeny Kuznetsov)

for

Chris Pronger

Some reports said they asked for all of those 4 pieces, and then some indicated that it was only 3 of those. Needless to say, that would have been a very steep price. That asking price became public at the time he was traded to the Philadelphia Flyers.

A steep price sure, but for Pronger in 09-10? Varlamov had played 6 games up to that point, Alzner 30, Carlson 0, and the Caps had no idea what pick they would have, or who they could take with that unknown pick, in the 2010 draft.

You never know how things would've worked out. Maybe the Caps lose to Montreal anyway. Maybe they lose to someone else. Pronger on that Caps team though? Tough to call that one a worst trade avoided. I can see not doing it, but you're still talking about a Pronger that was very good.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Alexandre Daigle
for
Peter Forsberg, Owen Nolan, Ron Hextall, Draft picks

As a Sens fan.. all I can say is feeew.. we really dodged a bullet on that one.

Nords reportedly offered those players but not in the same trade.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
Different teams, different styles but do remember that Philly went to 6 games against Chicago with a combo of Boucher and Leighton.

Well regardless of style, replacing Carlson with pronger on the postseason roster wouldnt have done anything.

They would have still had tom poti, joe corvo/dennis wideman, mike green, john erskine, jeff schultz and pronger. That defense got walked around and theodore poor play hurt them.

Imo there is no chance that caps win cup with that trade since the rest of the defense was awful and theodore was horrible

Juicy Pop

BONK
Apr 26, 2014
Scranton, PA
A steep price sure, but for Pronger in 09-10? Varlamov had played 6 games up to that point, Alzner 30, Carlson 0, and the Caps had no idea what pick they would have, or who they could take with that unknown pick, in the 2010 draft.

You never know how things would've worked out. Maybe the Caps lose to Montreal anyway. Maybe they lose to someone else. Pronger on that Caps team though? Tough to call that one a worst trade avoided. I can see not doing it, but you're still talking about a Pronger that was very good.

It's a bad Pronger trade though because it doesn't include Lupul. :sarcasm:

The Beezer

Jan 24, 2010
Jersey
I kind of want to say the Rangers Eric Lindros saga, cause if thats made they probably dont win the Stanley Cup in 94

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014

One defender would not have saved the caps and their pathetic defense created by george mcphee. Theodore would have had to play all 4 games and the caps would have been out fast. There is a reason why varlamov came in twice for him. He just stunk it up in the postseason

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
WSH would probably have a Cup if they got Pronger on the back-end during those years.

Caps likely win a Cup in the Boudreau years with that trade.

They might have. Or not.

If they would have walked to a Cup after that trade it would have been worth a consideration. But for a great chance at a Cup? No way i would i even consider that trade now. Carlson is a young top-10 (at worst, top-15) D, Varlamov is a top-10 starting goalie, Alzner is a great 2nd pairing D on a steal of an contract, Kuznetsov is 2nd among all C's in scoring, also on a bargain contract.

I think they'd have better chance to win the Cup with this team, this season, than in those years with Pronger.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Well regardless of style, replacing Carlson with pronger on the postseason roster wouldnt have done anything.

They would have still had tom poti, joe corvo/dennis wideman, mike green, john erskine, jeff schultz and pronger. That defense got walked around and theodore poor play hurt them.

Imo there is no chance that caps win cup with that trade since the rest of the defense was awful and theodore was horrible

Let's not go over the top now.

Pronger was 10 times the better player than rookie John Carlson back then. He would have made a huge difference. I just don't think that would have still been enough, especially as they would have been without Alzner and Varlamov then too. Not to mention that people seem to forget just how loaded that 'hawks team was back then.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
Let's not go over the top now.

Pronger was 10 times the better player than rookie John Carlson back then. He would have made a huge difference. I just don't think that would have still been enough, especially as they would have been without Alzner and Varlamov then too. Not to mention that people seem to remember just how loaded that 'hawks team was back then.

True but you really think pronger could have saved the caps those years? With erskine, schultz green, poti and wideman/corvo? I dont

What would happen when the caps didnt win (and imo they wouldnt)

Caps would be without a good goalie, two young future great defenders and possibly a first rounder (which then wasant a big deal)

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
Also, that was Pronger's price at the 09 deadline. Nobody on in the deal except for Varlamov was even in the NHL at that point, and I've heard significant question that all of Varly/Kuz/Carlson/Alzner would have to go.

Not making that deal was the worst move of GMGM's tenure, not the other way around.

Reactions: Frank Drebin

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
For Chicago fans: the Rangers and Hawks supposedly had a deal lined up Seabrook for Prucha after his rookie year. Not sure which team backed out or why it fell apart.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
Outright denying the impact Pronger would have had on the 09 and 2010 Capitals is the most sour of grapes.

What? Did you see that defense? People are acting like pronger would turn people into superstars. Hes one player (and probably one of the greatest ever) it wouldn't have solved the caps defense problems and jose theodore who couldn't stop anything.

What happens when jose theodore lets in those shots regardless of pronger? Who were they gonna call in to be the back up?

Feed Me A Stray Cat

Mar 27, 2005
Boston, MA
I'm a Devils fan, so I wish this trade had happened, but there were rumors about a Datsyuk for Gomez swap in late 2006/early 2007. Bet Detroit is glad that didn't happen.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Also, that was Pronger's price at the 09 deadline. Nobody on in the deal except for Varlamov was even in the NHL at that point, and I've heard significant question that all of Varly/Kuz/Carlson/Alzner would have to go.

Not making that deal was the worst move of GMGM's tenure, not the other way around.

Not even close. Not meeting Chara's asking price in FA in 2006 and instead signing Brian Pothier is, by far and without comparison, the worst move of GMGM's tenure. The Caps D moving forward could have been Chara-prime Mike Green, Alzner-Carlson, doesn't matter-doesn't matter. That would have (almost) certainly won them a Cup and it wouldn't have cost anything but cap space. We're not even talking about Pronger if McFail didn't cheap out, once again, on the blueline.

Or trading Forsberg for Erat and Latta. Either of those are lightyears worse than not gutting the future for Pronger.

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
What? Did you see that defense? People are acting like pronger would turn people into superstars. Hes one player (and probably one of the greatest ever) it wouldn't have solved the caps defense problems and jose theodore who couldn't stop anything.

What happens when jose theodore lets in those shots regardless of pronger? Who were they gonna call in to be the back up?
Why is Theodore letting in those shots regardless of Pronger? Why is he suddenly their sole option for goaltending? Why are you ignoring the impact Pronger had on the entire Philly defense & goaltending? On Matt Carle specifically? Why are you strictly talking about his defense when his transition abilities literally double the number of "competent breakout players" the Caps had? When he's one of the best power play defenseman of all ****ing time?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad