Worst thing you can do to your stick

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
United Britain of Great Kingdom
I remember lining a u18 game where someone accidently speared his teammate in the groin. The guy was on the ice in agony and everyone thought he had just been hit in the testicles and we all know how painful that is :laugh: so all his team were like "come on get up you *****, you only got hit in the balls" then when they took him back to the dressing room and took off his equipment apparently there was an 8 inch gash going up the inside of his leg towards the groin area. So it's safe to say they weren't laughing and calling him a ***** anymore :laugh:

TieClark

Jun 14, 2011
The kids who put all the weight they can into their sticks to see how much it can flex... don't do that.

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
United Britain of Great Kingdom
The kids who put all the weight they can into their sticks to see how much it can flex... don't do that.

People who do this to someone else's goalie stick :facepalm:

My friend said one of his sticks magically went missing once (his team can leave their stuff at the rink in a locked changing room) and he said obviously before he arrived someone was mucking about with his stick and was all like "ooh lets see how much flex it has" and then broke it, so obviously threw it in the garbage skip out the back so the goalie wouldn't find out

SauceHockey

Retired
Jun 6, 2011
p
I also never understood why changing your curve on a composite is a bad thing? Does it make the blade weaker?

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
Only expensive ones. I play with a $8 composite stick on the concrete. Every now and then I see someone with a top of the line stick out there, and it makes me cringe. I've seen people playing with TotalOnes, RS, and se16s.

I don't know, I have an old Easton Synergy that cost like $180 for street hockey because the bottom of the blade is cracked all the way down. It takes out all the power in passes and shots but still works fine for street hockey.

TickleMeYandle

Not so fast,
Dec 19, 2011
Here's a stick question:

My husband made me a nice shooting practice pad and set up a goal in the backyard for me. He got the silicone spray to make the whiteboard stuff nice and slippery.

I used it for a while today and the tape was greasy afterwards. He mentioned that the silicone might not be good for the blade, but wasn't sure if it would be harmful.

Of course I can just change the tape and everything comes right off - but will the lube hurt the blade? Is there something else I should get instead of the silicone spray?

PerpetualTankYear

Doan 3:16
Mar 27, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Here's a stick question:

My husband made me a nice shooting practice pad and set up a goal in the backyard for me. He got the silicone spray to make the whiteboard stuff nice and slippery.

I used it for a while today and the tape was greasy afterwards. He mentioned that the silicone might not be good for the blade, but wasn't sure if it would be harmful.

Of course I can just change the tape and everything comes right off - but will the lube hurt the blade? Is there something else I should get instead of the silicone spray?

I use WD-40 on mine, and haven't noticed any grease.

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010
Here's a stick question:

I sprayed a very thin layer on and wiped it down afterwards. Didn't have any problem you mentioned.

bozak911

Ignoring Idiots
May 18, 2010
Minnesota
I've seen a guy in pickup toss his stick over the glass while on the way to the bench for a change. Serious WTF thought bubble over my head.

Then, five minutes later, he was crawling on his knees (no pad on the cement on that side of the bench) to retrieve the stick...

/facepalm

esuhock22

Jan 24, 2011
How about adding tape to the shaft of the stick? All it adds is dead weight.

This. But in the interest of full disclosure, I used to candy-cane my sticks as a kid for grip, but now that you can buy sticks with grip, there's really no point in doing that. and yes, it adds weight to it.

Added weight? I highly doubt if you held identical sticks up and one had the candy-cane tape job you'd be able to tell. As for grip, I've seen people have a butt end and wrap tape around it so the sticky part of the tape is facing outwards. Then they rub it on their stick where they want the grip. For me it was way too sticky, but then again I don't like grip sticks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad