Worst team in the Playoffs

OilCanada92

May 1, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
Flames
Before the winning streak: 29-26-4 (0.525. Prorates to 86 points)
Ten game winning streak
After the winning streak: 6-7-0 (0.462. Prorates to 76 points)

Were the Flames in a major slump heading into the playoffs or did they just go back to being a little worse than they had been for the majority of the season?

I know that the easy comeback is, "if you take away 10 wins from any team. they're going to look worse." That may be true but few randomly hammered out 10 in a row during a hot streak that was night and day compared to the rest of the season.

I'm not saying the Flames don't deserve to be in the playoffs. They had the 10 game winning streak and they wouldn't have done that if they weren't talented. However, the winning streak shouldn't be ignored if we're looking at which team we'd rather face on the average night.

And before someone does it for me, the Oilers best stretch of the season was 12-2-0 to finish the season. They finished with 103 points and were on pace for 95 points before the hot finish. So they didn't need the hot streak to make the playoffs.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
Boston is that much better, yes. The Vegas odds also don't lie.

A healthy ottawa is a better team than boston, the question is if Ottawa is healthy.

If you think boston is better than ottawa, explain why you think that instead of relying on ,'Vegas odds'. Ottawa hung onto 2nd in the Atlantic for the whole year basically, despite horrific injuries to key players.

Boston has better corci numbers? Big deal.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Did you watch this year at all ? If anything they were by far the most unlucky team in the entire league. They still made 2nd seed in the Atlantic despite several significant injuries to key players. Ottawa is far from lucky. That team is built on depth and that's what helped them keep pushing despite losing some of their top guys. Next year they will top 100 points easily and do even better (standings wise) if they can stay "lucky" and stay healthy.

Now because of injuries to their roster i can see why someone would say they are arguably the worst team in the playoffs, but to say they got lucky to get in is a garbage statement.

In my honest opinion the weakest teams in the playoffs this year are Toronto and Boston. We just don't have the depth on D, or defensive consistency that's necessary to be successful in the playoffs. That being said, we need to remember that nobody expected us to be here this year (myself included) this team is still rebuilding and making the playoffs against the top seed is going to be a good experience for our guys going forward.

Wow kudos to you for making a very well informed post.

BigGulpsEh

Feb 20, 2017
Flames, leafs and sens

I didn't expect flames or leafs to even make the playoffs so good on them to get in.

Leafs D are overall pretty bad. They aren't built yet to go on a playoff run

NeverForget06

Here we go again !
Jan 7, 2013
Edmonton
Only 3 times this year vs 5 times at the start. OMG, the rookies had trouble defending a lead? They got better and better as the games went on. The fact is they were a top 3 team in time spent with a lead.

Funny how the narrative changed from the Leafs are garbage and won't make it to "Oh, the loser points are the only reason you got in.. Never mind you have more wins than teams below you"

Thanks for further illustrating my point that they are young and can't play defence. I never make the argument that they didn't deserve to get in... just didn't like the dialogue that was basically saying the Leafs proved they were good because they got that far in so many games... when they usually had the lead in the first place

trellaine201

Feb 10, 2010
Left coast
Leafs D is pretty suspect. They can ill afford any defensive mistakes against the Caps. But I am really happy the Leafs made it :) They failed to improve the d before the trade deadline for these play offs.

Beaninfritz

Aug 27, 2009
Leafs D is pretty suspect. They can ill afford any defensive mistakes against the Caps. But I am really happy the Leafs made it :) They failed to improve the d before the trade deadline for these play offs.

There wasn't really any point in doing so. Nobody was sure whether or not we'd be in contention for a playoff spot. It wasn't a good idea for the Leafs to make a bid for someone like Shattenkirk. We're still quite a ways away from being a legit contender. We wouldn't even be in the picture if we didn't pick up Andersen and Zaitsev, let alone catching lightning in a jar by drafting Matthews.

I don't see us winning, since Washington is basically better in every way (Forwards, defense, goaltending), but it will be a fun series to watch.

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
Toronto is easily the worst playoff team. They weren't even a .500 team during the regular season, only got in because of loser points, and did all of this while having no key significant injuries during the regular season.

Beaninfritz

Aug 27, 2009
Toronto is easily the worst playoff team. They weren't even a .500 team during the regular season, only got in because of loser points, and did all of this while having no key significant injuries during the regular season.

That is true, but don't forget to take into account Andersen missing all of the preseason due to injury. Five of his first 6 games were bad. Granted a lot of the team in front of him was bad as well, but they likely would have snagged a couple more wins had he been training during the preseason, instead of nursing an injury.

edit: people need to stop complaining about this whole "loser points" thing. You could also argue teams that won in overtime shouldn't deserve the extra point, since there is no 3-on-3, or shootouts in the playoffs.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
Has to the the Rangers, no?

Slow defense, "Depth" forwards with not a single elite player, Lundqvist with his playoff demons, Vigneault who is widely hated by the Rangers fanbase...

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
5v5 Score Adjusted Expected Goals Percentage

1.MIN 55.9%
2.BOS 55.4%
4.ANA 53.0%
5.MTL 52.9%
6.PIT 52.8%
7.WSH 52.4%
8.SJS 52.3%
9.NSH 51.9%
10.TOR 51.9%
11.STL 51.6%
14.CBJ 50.6%
15 EDM 50.2%
17.CHI 49.5%
18.NYR 49.4%
21.OTT 49.0%
22.CGY 48.4%

All Situations Save Percentage

1.CBJ 92.3%
2.WSH 92.2%
3.ANA 91.9%
4.MTL 91.9%
5.CHI 91.8%
7.MIN 91.6%
8.OTT 91.5%
9.PIT 91.4%
10.EDM 91.4%
11.TOR 91.3%
12.NYR 91.2%
13.SJS 91.2%
15.NSH 91.1%
20.STL 90.7%
21.CGY 90.7%
24.BOS 90.5%

I'd say Calgary is the worst, with Ottawa a bit ahead thanks to better goaltending.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad