Worst team in the Playoffs

Crocket

Jul 14, 2013
It's the Leafs, same amount of wins as the Jets, just more loser points. It's the Leafs and it's not even close.

True, the Leafs benefited from the loser points more than anyone.

Leafs and Blues are probably the worst. Calgary might be a dark horse.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Everyone complaining about the loser point, don't worry. You won't get to beat the Leafs in 3 on 3 OT or the shootout in the playoffs. The reason they have so many loser points is because they lost under those circumstances. Otherwise, people would be complaining about how many ties the Leafs had... so beat them. The loser points benefited the teams around the Leafs because they got 15 extra points for something that didn't exist for the majority of the NHL.

The only unfortunate thing about this is the Leafs play the President's Trophy winners. So if the Leafs get swept, everyone is going to talk about how bad they were. Not like they're playing the best team in the NHL or anything.

It's the Leafs, same amount of wins as the Jets, just more loser points. It's the Leafs and it's not even close.

Yeah, not like the Jets had a 75% winning percentage in the shootout. That would have really helped them in the playoffs. The Shootout Cup Champs.

Dirty Dan

Saturday Night Lupul
May 5, 2010
in ur crease
Every year the NHL has existed it has always been 1 pt for being even after 60mins.

Why not criticize the Ducks for 13 points, the Pens for 11, the Sens for 10?

Not to mention if the leafs didn't have so many loser points, they would be above the sens. 1-8 in the shootout

red wings are 9-0 in the shootout and are still garbage

harrisb

Oct 6, 2009
I'm proud of those so-called loser points. Shows how hard the Leafs are to play against.

I guess it's due to the leaf fans lack of watching playoff hockey that they don't realize it is a different game. All game is like the 3rd period with teams constantly pushing. How did the leafs do in 3rd periods? A ton of those loser points were cause teams decided to stop taking them for granted, play hockey and tie the games.

NeverForget06

Here we go again !
Jan 7, 2013
Edmonton
I looked into the Leafs shootout games this year... to see if I could find a different narrative

Game 1: October 22 vs CHI 5-4 SO Loss --- blow 2 goal 3rd period lead

Game 2: November 23 vs NJ 5-4 SO Loss --- blow 3-1 lead and 1 goal third period lead

Game 3: Dec 3 vs Van 3-2 SO loss --- didn't blow a lead

Game 4: Dec 13 vs SJ 3-2 SO loss --- blow 2 goal third period lead with less than 10 mins left

Game 5: Dec 15 vs ANA 3-2 SO loss -- didn't blow a lead

Game 6: Dec 28 vs FLA 3-2 SO WIN ---- but blew a 2 goal third period lead to get there

Game 7: Jan 21 vs OTT 3-2 SO loss --- blow 1 goal lead with less than 2 minutes remaining

Game 8: Feb 23 vs NYR 2-1 SO loss --- blow 1 goal lead in 3rd

Game 9: March 2 vs LA 3-2 SO loss --- blow 2 goal third period lead

I think this shows a different narrative than just "the leafs got unlucky." There is a reason so many of those games went to extra time. They are a good young team with a bright future... that can't play with a lead.

Edit: I would also say it shows when the leafs D is pressured they tend to buckle....

Last edited:

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
I'm confident in the Flames goaltending and defense going into the first round. I'd feel a lot better if they had acquired a forward for the top 6.

If Ferland can get his tenacity back to the way he was against Vancouver, and Brouwer can wake up, Calgary could stand a chance. If they both go silent, things will be over quickly.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
I guess it's due to the leaf fans lack of watching playoff hockey that they don't realize it is a different game. All game is like the 3rd period with teams constantly pushing. How did the leafs do in 3rd periods? A ton of those loser points were cause teams decided to stop taking them for granted, play hockey and tie the games.

Yeah, but those teams had to win the games in 3 on 3 or the SO. They can't do that in the playoffs.

Here's the Leafs record against the Eastern Conference:
30W - 17L - 7OTL

Who are all these teams that decided to take them seriously and tie the game?

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Ottawa is the worst team by far. They got lucky to get in, next year they won't come close to making it.

Did you watch this year at all ? If anything they were by far the most unlucky team in the entire league. They still made 2nd seed in the Atlantic despite several significant injuries to key players. Ottawa is far from lucky. That team is built on depth and that's what helped them keep pushing despite losing some of their top guys. Next year they will top 100 points easily and do even better (standings wise) if they can stay "lucky" and stay healthy.

Now because of injuries to their roster i can see why someone would say they are arguably the worst team in the playoffs, but to say they got lucky to get in is a garbage statement.

In my honest opinion the weakest teams in the playoffs this year are Toronto and Boston. We just don't have the depth on D, or defensive consistency that's necessary to be successful in the playoffs. That being said, we need to remember that nobody expected us to be here this year (myself included) this team is still rebuilding and making the playoffs against the top seed is going to be a good experience for our guys going forward.

harrisb

Oct 6, 2009
Did you watch this year at all ? If anything they were by far the most unlucky team in the entire league. They still made 2nd seed in the Atlantic despite several significant injuries to key players. Ottawa is far from lucky. That team is built on depth and that's what helped them keep pushing despite losing some of their top guys. Next year they will top 100 points easily and do even better (standings wise) if they can stay "lucky" and stay healthy.

Now because of injuries to their roster i can see why someone would say they are arguably the worst team in the playoffs, but to say they got lucky to get in is a garbage statement.

In my honest opinion the weakest teams in the playoffs this year are Toronto and Boston. We just don't have the depth on D, or defensive consistency that's necessary to be successful in the playoffs. That being said, we need to remember that nobody expected us to be here this year (myself included) this team is still rebuilding and making the playoffs against the top seed is going to be a good experience for our guys going forward.

You sir are the minority of leaf fans and appear to actually watch the games.

harrisb

Oct 6, 2009
I looked into the Leafs shootout games this year... to see if I could find a different narrative

Game 2: November 23 vs NJ 5-4 SO Loss --- blow 3-1 lead and 1 goal third period lead

Game 4: Dec 13 vs SJ 3-2 SO loss --- blow 2 goal third period lead with less than 10 mins left

Game 6: Dec 28 vs FLA 3-2 SO WIN ---- but blew a 2 goal third period lead to get there

Game 7: Jan 21 vs OTT 3-2 SO loss --- blow 1 goal lead with less than 2 minutes remaining

I think this shows a different narrative than just "the leafs got unlucky." There is a reason so many of those games went to extra time. They are a good young team with a bright future... that can't play with a lead.

Edit: I would also say it shows when the leafs D is pressured they tend to buckle....

Great analysis, shows truly who the pretender team is...I also wonder how many backup goaltenders the Leafs faced? Teams don't take shifts or periods off in the playoffs, at least not good teams, the leafs are going to find this out the hard way.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Great analysis, shows truly who the pretender team is...I also wonder how many backup goaltenders the Leafs faced? Teams don't take shifts or periods off in the playoffs, at least not good teams, the leafs are going to find this out the hard way.

Only 3 times this year vs 5 times at the start. OMG, the rookies had trouble defending a lead? They got better and better as the games went on. The fact is they were a top 3 team in time spent with a lead.

Funny how the narrative changed from the Leafs are garbage and won't make it to "Oh, the loser points are the only reason you got in.. Never mind you have more wins than teams below you"

BrandenPoelzer

Apr 10, 2017
Definitely not the Leafs, I'd say Ottawa.
Babcock deserves tons of credit for the turnaround of the leafs, as does Lou Lamouriello, Kyle Dubas, and mark hunter. But lets not forget the reason of the real turnaround besides the injection of youth to this team due to elite scouting. The real reason they are a playoff team this year is because they finally found their starting goalie. Andersen doesnt have elite numbers, but he had one of the busiest seasons amongst goaltenders in the NHL and showed he's ready to handle the job all season long. He can handle the workload and has single handedly stolen numerous amounts of games due to making saves he should have no business making. Andersen will be an elite goalie sooner rather than later, and he is the real reason for the turnaround of the Toronto Maple Leafs. He could steal a few games against the capitals. http://thehockeywriters.com/toronto-...up-right-time/

HolyCrap

Oct 2, 2015

Most leafs fans at least ones I know watch every playoff game they can. Regardless whether their team was In the playoffs. Just correcting you as we do understand playoff hockey is different.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad