Worst sport to listen to on the radio: What's a sport anyways?

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
This
And to answer what is a sport...when I think of a sport I think of physical activity (basketball-ball hockey etc) but also I think a sport is where the opponents can actively stop you/your team from winning...for example I don't consider golf a 'sport' because it's all on you if you do good or bad....where as in for example basketball your opposition can actively try and stop you from scoring/winning the game by stealing the ball, blocking you etc

Decathalon is not a sport?

cage

Apr 25, 2004
Basketball is my favourite sport but it's just awful on the radio. You need to see what is happening in that sport to really get excited about it. Listening to someone describe a dunk or cross over just doesn't work

I love listening to hockey on the radio. I used to do that a lot back in the early 2000's when I worked late shifts. I have some nice memories of just sitting out in my car during break/lunch at night or driving home at night listening to sens games. I think it comes across well on the radio and I can really follow along

I'm not a big baseball fan but I imagine that would be the best to listen to on the radio. Baseball analysts know how to blabber on and on and there are lots of different stats to talk about

M4TR1X

Dec 1, 2008
Ottawa, Ontario
Speaking of definitions of sports...
People argue that poker, bowling, and darts are sport because of the fact that they're broadcasted on sports channels.
I don't understand why any of them are on the likes of Sportsnet, TSN, or ESPN, and I definitely can't bare to watch any of them. This also goes with fishing.

I also don't consider any type of motor racing a sport.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
People argue that poker, bowling, and darts are sport because of the fact that they're broadcasted on sports channels.
I don't understand why any of them are on the likes of Sportsnet, TSN, or ESPN, and I definitely can't bare to watch any of them. This also goes with fishing.

Guessing this has a lot to do with the cost to broadcast...i can't imagine many folks tune into this stuff but i believe it costs virtually nothing to play due to the activity itself and lack of interest, you can likely find all three taking up real estate on all major sports channels daily.

Can't stand the poker though, it's the worst and wore out it's welcome like 10 years ago at least.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009

Took me nearly two hours to bring in a 140lb swordfish. Had to take a 15 minute break, hand over the rod, because I was exhausted.

I don't think you have driven anything worthy to know how hard motor racing is at certain levels.

6 Karlsson 5

Aug 9, 2012
Took me nearly two hours to bring in a 140lb swordfish. Had to take a 15 minute break, hand over the rod, because I was exhausted.

I don't think you have driven anything worthy to know how hard motor racing is at certain levels.

Those left turns can be tricky

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Those left turns can be tricky

Have you ever heard of Formula One?

Has anyone seen "Rush"?

No doubt NASCAR is not as physical as F1, but you have to have strength to drive these cars the distances they cover.

6 Karlsson 5

Aug 9, 2012
Have you ever heard of Formula One?

Has anyone seen "Rush"?

No doubt NASCAR is not as physical as F1, but you have to have strength to drive these cars the distances they cover.

I was joking...but tbh I don't consider it a sport, it's not a physical activity

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
I was joking...but tbh I don't consider it a sport, it's not a physical activity

“You hear it so much and we all have heard it for years – I mean people don’t even appreciate how physical a go-kart is – the forces that are put on our bodies are similar to that of fighter pilots,†said IndyCar driver James Hinchcliffe, who has a series-high three wins this year.

“It’s not like hockey where you do a two-minute shift and then sit for five minutes or like football where you are flat out for 10 seconds and then rest for minute. It literally is twice the length of a soccer match, but your heart rate is going higher and you’re using a lot more muscle in your body – they are just obviously using their legs and their lungs – we are using an incredible amount of upper body, an incredible amount of core, neck, it really takes every muscle group in the body to successfully drive a race car.â€

“We found their oxygen consumption was that of someone who swims competitively in the 1,500 metres or runs in a marathon,†said Olvey, who was also medical director for the now-defunct Championship Auto Racing Teams (later Champ Car) for two decades.

“There is no question that drivers are well-trained and very fit athletes. You can’t be competitive in IndyCar or Formula One or any of the open-wheel series and not be in peak physical condition.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/glob...y-you-dont-know-fit/article13138763/?page=all

Inkling

Same Old Hockey
Nov 27, 2006
Ottawa
Baseball is the only sport that IMHO really works well on radio because it's so structured. Hockey, basketball etc. are ok but you really need to see what's going on to fully appreciate it.

Also, people are being too binary with regards to athletics in sports like curling. It's not like they are even in the same category as decathletes or marathon runners, but it takes stamina and strength to do the sweeping and to throw the rocks with the ease that they do. There is a large spectrum of athletic abilities, not everyone needs to be an Olympic decathlete, but you do need some physical abilities to do the other sports that might be more hand-eye oriented.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
While I absolutely think that top-level racers are athletes, I question auto-sports as "traditional" sports because I think there is enough of an emphasis placed on the cars that the technology of the cars becomes more important at times than the driver's skill.

I don't watch F1 these days, but I remember back when I was in high school, driving a car for one of the top 2/3 teams (MacLaren, and... Williams? Then Ferrari after?) was basically like cheating, since they were so far ahead of other teams as far as technology is concerned.

When you get to that level, it ceases to be a "sport" in the traditional sense of the word, and more a technological arms race. That would be my only qualm with calling motorsports as "sports". If everyone drove the exact same car, I'd be a lot more forgiving, I think.

Massive props to the elite drivers, though. It's absolute hell on your body. They are insane, and have far bigger balls than I to do what they do for a living.

Last edited:

MiscBrah

Mar 16, 2012
Not sure if it's been mentioned, but I LOVED listening to the world cup on the radio. It was actually better than watching it for me personally.

Golf is brutal on the radio, same with basketball. Hockey is ok, but I like watching it so much more.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad