Worst sport to listen to on the radio: What's a sport anyways?

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
Tennis, unless its Maria Sharipova.

I remember one of the complaints about the glowing fox puck was that real hockey fans could follow the puck on the radio.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
I've honestly never heard golf or curling on the radio.

But of the majors, even though I listen quite regularly by necessity - I think hockey is the worst. The game is too fast and too much is missed.

Baseball is the best to put on in the background while you're sitting around a campfire or fishing.

Mathieu

Aug 28, 2010
I've never listened to any sports other than hockey on the radio, but out of the options in the poll I would think car racing would be the worst.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Same here, and I still don't get how Poker is a sport on SportsNet!!!!!!!! :rant:

**** like golf and curling are pretty questionable when it comes to being considered a sport. Poker is just ludicrous.

Might as well call starcraft and league of legends sports.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
curling, golf and car racing

I'm sure I'm not the only one who thinks this but those aren't sports. The people playing those games aren't athletes. They're playing games, not sports. Sports have to have some level of athletic involvement imo.

Racing is its own category. If it's not involving running, it's likely not a sport. Automotive racing is its own category all together. It involves plenty of skill and cognitive ability so I have a lot of respect for it, but it's not sport.

No disrespect to those people playing golf or curling. I really enjoy those games myself, especially watching high level curling, but it's not fair to call them athletes. If you do that, you might have to start calling pro poker players and DOTA2 champs athletes.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
No disrespect to those people playing golf or curling. I really enjoy those games myself, especially watching high level curling, but it's not fair to call them athletes. If you do that, you might have to start calling pro poker players and DOTA2 champs athletes.

Clearly have never curled at a high level before.

You go tell Brad Jacobs that you don't think high-level curlers are athletes, and see what he says.

PoutineSp00nZ

Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
I'm sure I'm not the only one who thinks this but those aren't sports. The people playing those games aren't athletes. They're playing games, not sports. Sports have to have some level of athletic involvement imo.

Racing is its own category. If it's not involving running, it's likely not a sport. Automotive racing is its own category all together. It involves plenty of skill and cognitive ability so I have a lot of respect for it, but it's not sport.

I remember emailing the afternoon show one day when they were talking about golf the whole time and said something similar. lee versage was quite unimpressed, but the topic took over the whole show. He started calling me out saying that it was easy to hide behind the anonymity of the internet and make such outlandish claims when i wouldn't even use my full name. So I emailed them back with my full name, which they read on the air, but people kept emailing and calling about it the entire afternoon.

I thought it was funny. Serious golfers get mad when u make such a claim.

PoutineSp00nZ

Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Clearly have never curled at a high level before.

You go tell Brad Jacobs that you don't think high-level curlers are athletes, and see what he says.

I've never thrown darts at a high level either, but I know its still not a sport :P

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
I remember emailing the afternoon show one day when they were talking about golf the whole time and said something similar. lee versage was quite unimpressed, but the topic took over the whole show. He started calling me out saying that it was easy to hide behind the anonymity of the internet and make such outlandish claims when i wouldn't even use my full name. So I emailed them back with my full name, which they read on the air, but people kept emailing and calling about it the entire afternoon.

I thought it was funny. Serious golfers get mad when u make such a claim.

Haha. Was this a few years ago because I'm pretty sure I remember the show? I don't see what is wrong in the statement. There are athletes that play golf but playing golf doesn't make you an athlete.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad