Worst sport to listen to on the radio: What's a sport anyways?

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
My point is that you're talking out of your arse. Just because YOU don't THINK that many high-level curlers are athletes, doesn't make it true.

Here is a high level curler. Look at that physical specimen.

282x447harris.jpg

Nobody is denying that its a very challenging game that requires a tremendous amount of practice and skill. But so does starcraft when it comes down to it. It's a game, there's no shame in that.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
My point is that you're talking out of your arse. Just because YOU don't THINK that many high-level curlers are athletes, doesn't make it true.

Hold up. I didn't say high level curlers aren't athletes. You're putting words in my mouth. I said curling isn't a sport. That doesn't mean people who curl cannot be athletes.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
**** like golf and curling are pretty questionable when it comes to being considered a sport. Poker is just ludicrous.

Might as well call starcraft and league of legends sports.

Well they do call them e-sports....

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Here is a high level curler. Look at that physical specimen.

282x447harris.jpg

Nobody is denying that its a very challenging game that requires a tremendous amount of practice and skill. But so does starcraft when it comes down to it. It's a game, there's no shame in that.

1) Mike Harris is no longer a "high level curler", imo.
2) the game is changing, athletes are taking over from the old "Ed Werenich"-type curler. The game itself is definitely "getting into shape".
3) Well, yeah, skips generally don't have to be in as good a shape as leads/2nds-/vices, I'll give you that. Still, Mike Harris would probably never have been a pro if he was required to sweep like a lead or 2nd.

PoutineSp00nZ

Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Well they do call them e-sports....

Its kinda the same thing as wrestling calling itself 'sports entertainment'. THey can imply that they're a type of sport without outright saying it. Nice little workaround.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Last edited:

PoutineSp00nZ

Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
2) the game is changing, athletes are taking over from the old "Ed Werenich"-type curler. The game itself is definitely "getting into shape".
3) Well, yeah, skips generally don't have to be in as good a shape as leads/2nds-/vices, I'll give you that. Still, Mike Harris would probably never have been a pro if he was required to sweep like a lead or 2nd.

Im not trying to say that curlers can't be in great shape or anything, nor that its easy to do. If it seemed like i as belittling it I apologize. I've curled before and not very well, but enough to understand that it takes a ridiculous amount of skill to excel at it. Same with stuff like golf and darts. To me a sport needs to be incredibly physically demanding, and those kinds of activities just dont seem that way to me.

Just my opinion.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
If golfers aren't athletes then baseball players aren't either. Golf takes strength and form.

Curling though... Thats just a strategy game. Takes no more athleticism then gaming.

I dislike both sports equally.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa

I think the trend in curlers, golfers, poker players and dart throws getting fit is more in line with socioeconomic trends. Being overweight used to be a display of wealth until fairly recently. Fitness has become fairly trendy and is more of a display for high socioeconomic status now than it was 20 years ago. Particularly with curling and golf, that trend has translated to the games that generally require high socioeconomic status for entry.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Curling though... Thats just a strategy game. Takes no more athleticism then gaming.

Well, I can completely disregard your opinion about curling both now, and in the future, obviously.

Thanks for letting me know you know absolutely nothing about the sport. It makes it easier to ignore your opinions on it.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
If golfers aren't athletes then baseball players aren't either. Golf takes strength and form.

I dislike both sports equally.

I don't see many golfers in foot races or diving to make plays in the field. That's really not comparable.

Athletics by definition require stamina. Can't really think of a better example of stamina than pitching 9 innings besides crazy stuff like marathons, cross fit games and triathlons.

Last edited:

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
Well, I can completely disregard your opinion about curling both now, and in the future, obviously.

Thanks for letting me know you know absolutely nothing about the sport. It makes it easier to ignore your opinions on it.

I just dont see whats so athletic about curling. Still a great sport.

"a person trained or gifted in exercises or contests involving physical agility, stamina, or strength; a participant in a sport, exercise, or game requiring physical skill."

Ill gladly admit im wrong if you explain to me how its athletic.

Last edited:

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
There are sports, games, and competitions.

Golf is a competition that requires no athleticism. Doesn't mean you can't be an athlete, just not a requirement.

Hockey is a competition that requires athleticism in a structured game.

Wrestling (WWE) is not a sport but requires athleticism.

Curling is a competition like darts, and pool that require no athleticism but doesn't mean you can't be an athlete and do it too.

Competition and athleticism should be first on the list to be considered a sport.

I hate judged sports like Figure skating but I think it is more of a sport than either curling or golf.

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
The best front ends in the world are definitely very athletic. Bringing curling into the Olympics changed everything about it.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
The best front ends in the world are definitely very athletic. Bringing curling into the Olympics changed everything about it.

How so?

athlete(noun)

a person trained or gifted in exercises or contests involving physical agility, stamina, or strength; a participant in a sport, exercise, or game requiring physical skill.

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
How so?

athlete(noun)

a person trained or gifted in exercises or contests involving physical agility, stamina, or strength; a participant in a sport, exercise, or game requiring physical skill.

Do you even know what a front end is? Because if you did it clearly fits that definition

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Do you even know what a front end is? Because if you did it clearly fits that definition

I would imagine it is the guy who slides on the ice seeing as the only other option are guys who sweep the ice.

I understand curling. A colleague of mine plays with her whole family and they love it.

What is athletic about sliding on the ice and releasing the rock?

Crouching, carrying the rock, keeping your balance?

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
Reading through this thread i suppose there are many very questionable activites that could be categorized as a sport (To each their own). Personally when i think of sport i think of the more traditional where essentially constant movement of all body parts is involved like hockey, soccer, football and basketball.

I am an avid golfer and play darts several times a week and do not really classifiy them as sports. I would likely place curling in this list as i find it more skilled than athletic.

Personally i would workout before or after these three activities as i do not find them very physical at all.

For me the worst sport to listen to on the radio currently is golf and especially if tiger is in the field because then you have to listen to his garbage round as the entire day as opposed to the actual 100+ or so good golfers who are also competeing.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Racing is its own category. If it's not involving running, it's likely not a sport. Automotive racing is its own category all together. It involves plenty of skill and cognitive ability so I have a lot of respect for it, but it's not sport.

Absolutely car racing it is a sport. At F1 levels, the amount of strength it takes to endure the g forces on your body, to stop the car, to turn the car, is monumental. These guys are the fittest athletes and their heart rate is around 170bpm for he entire duration of the race.

There have been drivers from lower categories who tried to test an F1 car and had to stop because they were exhausted, their necks were not strong enough. Next time you look at Danica Patrick, take a look at the size of her neck, her back.

Any open wheel series is a physical challenge and Nascar is less demanding on the body, but still requires strength and endurance to complete a 960km race.

darglor

Feb 17, 2012
To be fair, golf is also boring to watch on television. Or watch in person. Or play.
You were factual until the last semi-sentence.

**** like golf and curling are pretty questionable when it comes to being considered a sport. Poker is just ludicrous.

Might as well call starcraft and league of legends sports.
They tend to go by e-sports. As with poker, their heart rates have been shown to go over 130, so I guess that counts for something.

Have you ever played a high level game of BW? I've had games go over an hour where you're at an almost non-stop clickfest of 200+ actions per minute (which is slow by professional standards). My arm was dead afterwards.

Then again, the counterpoint is that something like Hearthstone also gets the "e-sport" monicker thrown around, and that really doesn't require any kind of dexterity/speed/split-second decision making at all.

M4TR1X

Dec 1, 2008
Ottawa, Ontario
I've honestly never heard golf or curling on the radio.

But of the majors, even though I listen quite regularly by necessity - I think hockey is the worst. The game is too fast and too much is missed.

Baseball is the best to put on in the background while you're sitting around a campfire or fishing.

I like this. For the sport you want to follow, the best is baseball. Very little action and it's easy for whoever's commentating to give you all the details of the game. Now I'm not the biggest baseball fan so I would still put hockey on over baseball but for a sport itself baseball is probably the best.
Given the list, I would have to say hockey for the same reason. You're missing out on so much. When working and all I've got is radio for them game, it aggravates me. Example would be Gryba hit on Eller in the 2013 Ottawa/Montreal playoff series. The commentator I was listening to would consistently say the hit was dirty and I was thinking to myself, what are you doing Gryba? Of course that changed when I finally viewed the hit myself on TSN and Youtube.

6 Karlsson 5

Aug 9, 2012
All of them.

This
And to answer what is a sport...when I think of a sport I think of physical activity (basketball-ball hockey etc) but also I think a sport is where the opponents can actively stop you/your team from winning...for example I don't consider golf a 'sport' because it's all on you if you do good or bad....where as in for example basketball your opposition can actively try and stop you from scoring/winning the game by stealing the ball, blocking you etc

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad