Worst Sens Coach?

Worst Coach

• Total voters

Satoru Gojo

Jan 15, 2012
With all the discussion about coaching going on, I was just wondering who people felt is the worst Senators's coach. One quick note, I left out Bowness and Allison only because they would probably dominate unfairly :help:Also doubt Murray and Martin will pick up any votes.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Ranking from worst to best:
1) Hartsburg
2) Cameron
3) Paddock
4) Clouston
5) Boucher
6) Maclean
7) Martin
8) Murray

If I had to place Allison and Bowness, I'd have Allison as the new #1 ahead of Hartsburg, and Bowness honestly probably goes between Boucher and Maclean, which is kinda sad.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
1) Hartsburg
2) Cameron
3) Paddock
4) Clouston
5) Boucher
6) Maclean
7) Martin
8) Murray

If I had to place Allison and Bowness, I'd have Allison as the new #1 ahead of Hartsburg, and Bowness honestly probably goes between Boucher and Maclean, which is kinda sad.
For me Cameron was the worst but I feel like that’s just because it was so recent.

Hartsburg took a really good team and was just like “k guys get the puck in deep” but I mean Cameron didn’t even have a plan to begin with it looked like he just put the guys on the ice and checked out after that.

Paddock I sympathiZe with a little bit. There was a lot of politics going on above him if I remember correctly and we started that year looking like we were going to finish 82-0 so at least we had that.

robsenz

Apr 15, 2007
We've had zero stability since Jacques Martin and our one-ish year with Murray.

Also remember the Paddock was also one of the Allstar coaches, only to get fired shortly after lol, back when this team had expectations. If we had the record we had when he got fired we would all be happy right now.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
I'm going to be in the minority but I was not a fan of MacLean's. I mean how do you pick guys like Greening on the shoot out and leave Da Costa on the bench? Dude could not recognize talent if it hit him in the mustache. Still having nightmares of the GSN line...

IMO the Hamburglar run had as much to do with the change of coach as with the unfortunate but well-timed injuries to some under-performers (at the time) such as Lehner. Our coaching regressed to 90's style with MacLean and we've been stuck in that decade ever since.

Hartsburgh was pretty bad too...

Outside of Murray and Martin we haven't been spoiled...

Que

What?
Feb 12, 2017
Mind Prison
No option for whoever our next coach is?

Because with the roster that person inherits will be the least experienced and most rag tag group of misfits any league has seen - ever.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
1) Hartsburg
2) Cameron
3) Paddock
4) Clouston
5) Boucher
6) Maclean
7) Martin
8) Murray

Agree with this list, except flip Boucher and Maclean.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Craig Hartsburg gets my vote. He feels like the one hire where pretty much everyone didn't believe in the hire. It was the only hire I was legitimately mad about at the time.

Cameron is honourable mention since his relationship with Melnyk looked like it was just nepostism.

Crosside

Aug 1, 2018
We never have a very good coach and a solid number one. Time to change thing. Vigneault and Bobrovsky please

Mark Stones Spleen

Jan 17, 2008
T.O.
No option for whoever our next coach is?

Because with the roster that person inherits will be the least experienced and most rag tag group of misfits any league has seen - ever.
We need this guy...

DGKISaOV_200x200.jpg

LuckyPierre

Jul 1, 2010
A few thoughts - Guy Boucher coached the Senators as far as any coach not named Bryan Murray. Further than Jacques Martin. And I hold no grudges this year. The young talent is playing, and he's been given no depth whatsoever. For that, he is nowhere near the worst. Closer to the top of the list, in fact. The one issue I have is that he had Karlsson blocking as many shots as he did. That was not wise.

Hartsburg and Clouston rank low as they had talent to work with and disappointed.

Paddock overplayed a top heavy roster and ran them into the ground. Granted, depth had been eroded by 2008, but he was over dependent on the Pizza line to his detriment.

Paul MacLean had his issues, but he did win a playoff series. He also scratched Chris Phillips the game after he broke Alfie's franchise GP mark. The Hamburgler run literally started the very next game. Phillips was a total anchor that year, and having the stones to make a tough roster call like that saved the season.

My list:

Bryan Murray
Jacques Martin
Guy Boucher
Paul Maclean
Cory Clouston
John Paddock
Dave Cameron
Craig Hartsburg

Reactions: JD1

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
I feel like we're just not appreciating the team the way we should.

We have this one-dimensional fixation on puck possession, high-quality scoring chances, and winning.

But without knowing all the financials, like coaches' salaries, we're missing out on the managerial genius. We're not worthy.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
This was actually a tough poll to answer. So many quality candidates for this illustrious title.

Reactions: DJB

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad