Worst seasons of all time great TV shows?

JohnC

Jan 26, 2013
New York
I'm in season 4 of a Sopranos rewatch right now and it got me trying to figure out what the worst season of the show is and it inspired me to make this thread.

I'll lead off with season 5 of The Wire. The whole serial killer storyline was absurd and knocks it down from greatest show of all time to probably 2nd greatest.

What's everyone got?

Tkachuk4MVP

32 Years of Fail
Apr 15, 2006
San Diego, CA
Season 1 of Seinfeld. People will say 8 and 9 are the worst but nothing tops the first season. Only one decent episode (The Stakeout) in the bunch.

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
Season 1 of Seinfeld. People will say 8 and 9 are the worst but nothing tops the first season. Only one decent episode (The Stakeout) in the bunch.

I love season 9 of Seinfeld. Not sure why it gets crapped on.

And 6-8 (aka the George with the Yankees seasons) are probably my favorite of the show. The worst season is definitely 1 or 2.

I agree with the OP about The Wire even though the last 2 episodes are so good, sometimes I think it's season 2.

For the Sopranos it's probably the 2nd half of season 6 (it's split into 2 parts so it's almost like 2 different seasons).

JohnC

Jan 26, 2013
New York
I actually think second season of The Wire is the best. I know I'm on an island on that one.
I half agree with you. I teeter between 3 and 2 being the best with 1 in the conversation depending on my mood.

4 is a season I think gets way too much praise. I appreciate what their angle was, showing how kids were affected by living in a city like Baltimore, but it just wasn’t for me.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I've been doing a rewatch of the Simpsons to see exactly which season everything came off the rails.

I'm into season 5 and can see certain instances now where homer is just becoming overly dumb, and things are starting to go over the top every now and then, but it's still excellent overall.

I seems to remember that I really liked the Simpsons until around season 9 or so but will see how I feel during the rewatch. Once I find the episodes to be zombified, I'll stop the watch.

Reactions: Primary Assist

frisco

Some people claim that there's a woman to blame...
Sep 14, 2017
Northern Hemisphere
I don't know if Melrose Place is considered great but the first two-thirds of Season One was just boring. There would be like "Allison needs a new car"--that's an episode. "Jake goes back and gets his GED"--an episode all about that. "Billy's parents visit"--a show dedicated to that premise.

When Heather Locklear came on, the series turned the corner so to speak into what it is known for generally.

My Best-Carey

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Agree on the last season of the Wire but the finale salvaged a lot in my book.

Season 1 of TNG is almost unwatchable.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
My first thought was Season 5 of the Wire, as mentioned by many.

Another one: Season 13 of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia.

Glenn Howerton (Dennis) was filming another show and was absent in 4/10 episodes, and those episodes are painful because it forced other characters to take up the mantle of the "straight man", which doesn't work well. This season also has a clip show episode, which isn't great (though at least they tried to be creative with it).

There are a couple great episodes, but overall the season stands out like a sore thumb in Sunny's extremely strong 15 season (and counting) catalogue.

Reactions: Randy Butternubs

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
My first thought was Season 5 of the Wire, as mentioned by many.

Another one: Season 13 of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia.

Glenn Howerton (Dennis) was filming another show and was absent in 4/10 episodes, and those episodes are painful because it forced other characters to take up the mantle of the "straight man", which doesn't work well. This season also has a clip show episode, which isn't great (though at least they tried to be creative with it).

There are a couple great episodes, but overall the season stands out like a sore thumb in Sunny's extremely strong 15 season (and counting) catalogue.
What show was it that did a clip show episode but none of the clips were actually clips of the show? Maybe it was Community?

Only clip show that I've ever liked.

Tkachuk4MVP

32 Years of Fail
Apr 15, 2006
San Diego, CA
I love season 9 of Seinfeld. Not sure why it gets crapped on.

And 6-8 (aka the George with the Yankees seasons) are probably my favorite of the show. The worst season is definitely 1 or 2.

I agree with the OP about The Wire even though the last 2 episodes are so good, sometimes I think it's season 2.

For the Sopranos it's probably the 2nd half of season 6 (it's split into 2 parts so it's almost like 2 different seasons).
I like season 9 too. Wackier and less grounded in reality but still lots of laughs. And in the end, that’s all I really want from a sitcom.

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
Season 1 of TNG is almost unwatchable.
I was going to post this. Season 1 was really weak. It combined the cornier aspects of The Original Series with heavy-handed preachiness. None of the stronger elements of the series (character development, credible/interesting villains, interesting philosophical and scientific discussions) were there, at least not with any consistency. I know it's blasphemous to say this, but it was good for the development of the show that creator Gene Rodenberry stepped back.

Season 2 wasn't much better, but at least it had two all-time great episodes ("Q Who" and "The Measure of a Man"). Season 1 had several episodes that were significant to the development of the series (the pilot, "Skin of Evil", and maybe "The Neutral Zone"), but in terms of quality, I wouldn't say that there was a single great episode. (The jump in quality from Seasons 1 to 3 was extraordinary).

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
I was going to post this. Season 1 was really weak. It combined the cornier aspects of The Original Series with heavy-handed preachiness. None of the stronger elements of the series (character development, credible/interesting villains, interesting philosophical and scientific discussions) were there, at least not with any consistency. I know it's blasphemous to say this, but it was good for the development of the show that creator Gene Rodenberry stepped back.

Season 2 wasn't much better, but at least it had two all-time great episodes ("Q Who" and "The Measure of a Man"). Season 1 had several episodes that were significant to the development of the series (the pilot, "Skin of Evil", and maybe "The Neutral Zone"), but in terms of quality, I wouldn't say that there was a single great episode. (The jump in quality from Seasons 1 to 3 was extraordinary).
Only episode I "like" from season 1 is probably Datalore, but I think that's because I just like the dichotomy between the characters, not the strength of the episode itself.

Skin of Evil is a legit terrible episode - it's just "important" because it kills off Yar.

Season 2 has some bangers though (with Measure of a Man being a candidate for GOAT TNG episode). I also like A Matter of Honor, but ultimately it's an inconsistent season but with high peaks.

Season 3 is where it's good day-to-day.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
I half agree with you. I teeter between 3 and 2 being the best with 1 in the conversation depending on my mood.

4 is a season I think gets way too much praise. I appreciate what their angle was, showing how kids were affected by living in a city like Baltimore, but it just wasn’t for me.

I agree. Season 4 is fine but the first three are all better seasons.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad