OT: Hurricanes Lounge XLIII: As Fun As Waterboarding

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
Magic toxins? Or bad toxins
I think the bad ones...and it's actually from other environmental pollutant bioaccumulation...so if you could separate plastics out that'd be less of a potential issue

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Not even needed really, there are common mushrooms that can break down plastic and are actually edible afterwards (though some can have too much toxin in them)

Sure. They mention that the bacterium they used is in the soil. The clever thing is that this solves the problem of getting them together with the plastic, dramatically increasing the amount of it decomposed in the five months time they studied, going from half gone to over 90% gone. Plus, the spores in the plastic actually make the plastic stronger because of the way they bind to the polymers. Very clever.

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
Sure. They mention that the bacterium they used is in the soil. The clever thing is that this solves the problem of getting them together with the plastic, dramatically increasing the amount of it decomposed in the five months time they studied, going from half gone to over 90% gone. Plus, the spores in the plastic actually make the plastic stronger because of the way they bind to the polymers. Very clever.
Remember when we were told plastics would NEVER go away and they'd be around for centuries after we were gone? Glad science can find a way!!

Reactions: DaveG and MinJaBen

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Radar Love
My first experience to Golden Earring. I’m 17 and my brother in law recruited me to play shortstop for his slow pitch softball team for a tournament. Never played slow pitch softball before, but he’d seen me play shortstop in baseball and in a fast pitch softball league.

I didn’t know anyone on the team except him so I show up at the field and there’s another truck there. The guy tells me he’s the pitcher and says I can wait with him so I climb in his truck. For the next 20 minutes, he blares Twilight zone on repeat while getting high….at 8AM.

Guy was a great pitcher (unlimited arc) and we won the tournament. Still love that song.

Reactions: Bub and DaveG

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
My first experience to Golden Earring. I’m 17 and my brother in law recruited me to play shortstop for his slow pitch softball team for a tournament. Never played slow pitch softball before, but he’d seen me play shortstop in baseball and in a fast pitch softball league.

I didn’t know anyone on the team except him so I show up at the field and there’s another truck there. The guy tells me he’s the pitcher and says I can wait with him so I climb in his truck. For the next 20 minutes, he blares Twilight zone on repeat while getting high….at 8AM.

Guy was a great pitcher (unlimited arc) and we won the tournament. Still love that song.

Rare to find someone else who played fast pitch softball. It's a great game, I liked playing it better than baseball. Too bad it seems to have mostly died out for men, I'm sure mostly due to the lack of pitchers.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina

That song caused more speeding tickets that alcohol where I came from....hard not to put the pedal to the metal when it came on....

Borsig

PoKechetkov
Nov 3, 2007
Low country coast
Help me out, locals... I mentioned on Discord that I don't like sweet potatoes. Someone asked me, as a result, if I was declaring war on North Carolina.

Are they really popular there or something?
I mean they are okay.

I dont like them either really. I also dont like sauerkraut and my mother is German. Sauerkraut is polish though.

Its an odd ask. I eman it's not like you said BBQ shouldnt have vinegar in it or something.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Help me out, locals... I mentioned on Discord that I don't like sweet potatoes. Someone asked me, as a result, if I was declaring war on North Carolina.

I love them. That said, I would gather that the comment is not you are declaring war on North Carolinians, but the state itself. As North Carolinians, we probably are the same as everywhere else on our like or dislike of sweet potatoes, but North Carolina is the largest sweet potato producer in the US. I would guess that is where the comment is coming from.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017

Nah sweet potatoes are alright, but not worth battling over unless you're like country country.

Say one wrong word about NC BBQ and hands will be thrown. And choose your sauce (vinegar vs ketchup based) carefully.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
20e735d3-8f10-4fe5-8fc8-454d7b3fa2a2_text.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad