Worst seasons of all time great TV shows?

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Season 1 of The Office
Season 4 of Lost
Season 3 of Stranger Things
Seasons 5 & 6 of Game of Thrones

off the top of my head

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
The whole dislike for S1 of The Office thing never really rung true for me, personally. I don't think it's anything special, but I don't think the series as a whole gets THAT much better than it (somewhat better, sure). And then it plummets well below that level later on in a way that seems a lot more deserving of being trashed, to me.

Reactions: SabresFan429

barriers

Feb 10, 2020
What show was it that did a clip show episode but none of the clips were actually clips of the show? Maybe it was Community?

Only clip show that I've ever liked.
Yep. Community did that one.

If I remember correctly the Clerks Animated series did a similar gag where the 2nd episode of the show was a clip show of the first episode and assorted new clips.

Tkachuk4MVP

32 Years of Fail
Apr 15, 2006
San Diego, CA
I believe the Merv Griffin episode was in season 9. That was funny.

Love the Merv Griffin Show. Same goes with The Dealership, though that gets a lot of hate from the purists.

The whole dislike for S1 of The Office thing never really rung true for me, personally. I don't think it's anything special, but I don't think the series as a whole gets THAT much better than it (somewhat better, sure). And then it plummets well below that level later on in a way that seems a lot more deserving of being trashed, to me.

Even if you don’t like season 1, it’s a clear step above anything post-Michael.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Love the Merv Griffin Show. Same goes with The Dealership, though that gets a lot of hate from the purists.

Even if you don’t like season 1, it’s a clear step above anything post-Michael.

Count me as one of those people who dislikes the Dealership. Puddy was funny in that one though. I hated George and Kramer’s storylines in that episode.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Season 2 has grown on me, but it’s still a level below 1, 3, and 4 IMO. Nicky isn’t a very compelling character, and don’t get me started on Ziggy.

I was out and about tonight and am a little drunk so I'll get back to this tomorrow and while I get where you're coming from, I want to note that Frank Sobotka (and whoever played him) is both the best character and performance of The Wire, along with Avon Barksdale/Wood Harris and the entire Stanfield crew, who were all played perfectly with magnificent intonations by each major member (Marlo, Chris, Snoop, Monk and Vinson). While I get their magnetism and charm, I always thought Idris Elba and Michael K. Williams let their acting chops sink into the trope (i.e., such good actors that their performances essentially personified themes instead of being a person. I think that's a problem in a show that lives and dies on its gritty realism). They were still superb but I prefer the aforementioned ones. I think Frank Sobota and Avon Barksdale toe that line so much better.

Last edited:

JohnC

Jan 26, 2013
New York
I’ve always felt the quality of The Office plummets once Jim and Pam get together. It’s still funny for a while, but it’s like the rest of the show gives you nothing else to look forward to once they start dating.

I’d still much rather watch season 1 over anything post-Michael.

Seasons 5 & 6 of Game of Thrones
I don’t consider GOT an all time great anymore ever since the disastrous ending, but I don’t see how there’s a legit case for either of these seasons being worse than seasons 7 or 8.

At the very least 5 is propelled above 7 & 8 by virtue of having a top 3 episode of the series (Hardhome) in it.

Tkachuk4MVP

32 Years of Fail
Apr 15, 2006
San Diego, CA
I was out and about tonight and am a little drunk so I'll get back to this tomorrow and while I get where you're coming from, I want to note that Frank Sobota (and whoever played him) is both the best character and performance of The Wire, along with Avon Barksdale/Wood Harris and the entire Stanfield crew, who were all played perfectly with magnificent intonations by each major member (Marlo, Chris, Snoop, Monk and Vinson). While I get their magnetism and charm, I always thought Idris Elba and Michael K. Williams let their acting chops sink into the trope (i.e., such good actors that their performances essentially personified themes instead of being a person. I think that's a problem in a show that lives and dies on its gritty realism). They were still superb but I prefer the aforementioned ones. I think Frank Sobota and Avon Barksdale toe that line so much better.

I agree with everything you said about Frank (Chris Bauer). He and D’Angelo are probably my two favorite characters on the show. I would push back with you a bit on Michael K and especially Idris but I get your point. Also a big Avon fan, one of the reasons why S3 is my favorite.

Reactions: Spring in Fialta

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
I agree with everything you said about Frank (Chris Bauer). He and D’Angelo are probably my two favorite characters on the show. I would push back with you a bit on Michael K and especially Idris but I get your point. Also a big Avon fan, one of the reasons why S3 is my favorite.

Oh yeah, I'm riffing and while a lot of characters are meant to fit a theme, I find the acting performances of the two I mentioned overdo the theme, especially Elba. In his later arc, his performance just shouts Not hard enough for this and not smart enough for that (Williams is an obvious crook with the heart of gold) and I don't even mean this in a derogatory way because the writing was always going to request that. I just find Sobotka (Last man holding unto a dying world) and A.Barksdale (The self-aware and brilliant gangster who'll never give up what he thinks is honor) hide/toe the line of their own themes with a less bombast, which is important for a show based on realism (i.e., the off-handed I'm just a gangster, I suppose line from Barksdale being one of the most beautiful moments of the series).

They're all great, pertinent themes and handled with enough care that there was no misfire. I just find that the latter two were done/played so, so well that they outshine the two more flashy/famous former ones.

Reactions: Tkachuk4MVP

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
I’ve always felt the quality of The Office plummets once Jim and Pam get together. It’s still funny for a while, but it’s like the rest of the show gives you nothing else to look forward to once they start dating.

I don’t consider GOT an all time great anymore ever since the disastrous ending, but I don’t see how there’s a legit case for either of these seasons being worse than seasons 7 or 8.

At the very least 5 is propelled above 7 & 8 by virtue of having a top 3 episode of the series (Hardhome) in it.
Ramsay Bolton and the Sparrows were the worrrrrrst.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Yeah, Wood Harris would be my pick for best performance on The Wire, personally.

Agreed. I'd much rather watch season 1 over anything post Jim-Pam hookup, too. For me, it's mostly just a three-season show, with some good moments here and there in the couple of seasons after that.

I'd consider putting Season 5 on a similar level to 7 and 8 as well, personally.

JohnC

Jan 26, 2013
New York
Ramsay Bolton and the Sparrows were the worrrrrrst.

I'd consider putting Season 5 on a similar level to 7 and 8 as well, personally.
I don't necessarily disagree with either of you. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying season 5 was good, ut I genuinely don't think I can list a single redeeming quality of seasons 7 & 8.

Those two seasons took GOT from my favorite TV show ever that I'd rewatch at least twice a year to a show I haven't even watched a clip of since the finale.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
I was out and about tonight and am a little drunk so I'll get back to this tomorrow and while I get where you're coming from, I want to note that Frank Sobotka (and whoever played him) is both the best character and performance of The Wire, along with Avon Barksdale/Wood Harris and the entire Stanfield crew, who were all played perfectly with magnificent intonations by each major member (Marlo, Chris, Snoop, Monk and Vinson). While I get their magnetism and charm, I always thought Idris Elba and Michael K. Williams let their acting chops sink into the trope (i.e., such good actors that their performances essentially personified themes instead of being a person. I think that's a problem in a show that lives and dies on its gritty realism). They were still superb but I prefer the aforementioned ones. I think Frank Sobota and Avon Barksdale toe that line so much better.

Agree on Sobotka, that part was so well acted it makes the season on it's own.

For me, the best performance on the show was Andre Royo as Bubbles. The pain and emotion of an addict is perfectly shown and the journey to sobriety.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad