Worst Oiler goalie ever

stratedge

My relationship with the Oilers is abusive.
Jul 25, 2007
Calgary, AB
None of the goalies mentioned ever blew up at his own bench in the middle of a game like Fasth did.

Yeah, but in that case, it was totally justified. Doesn't make him a bad goalie. You have to be pretty careful nominating a goalie during the decade of darkness because those were some pretty garbage teams defensively.

Reactions: TB12

OfCorsiDid

54 goals? Must've been the money!
Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON
Labarbara is up there. I mean for me I still go to the 3 headed failure monster that was Markinen, Conklin and Morrison. That teams finishes top-10 to 15 in the league with even average goaltending, which this trio did not provide.

Oh Morrison, almost forgot him.

Remember when McTavish had the brilliant day to start Markkanen and then play Morrison in the shootout...

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
The game that stands out in my memory was a game against NJ (who they rarely lost to), but they went down 4-2 because Skorodenski was letting in every shot. He was replaced by Fuhr, and luckily because of Gretzky they came back and won the game.

And that was part of the reason Fuhr played 70+ games that season...
My fondest memories of Skorodenski were as a Blackhawk playing the Oilers. That team made a lot of goalies look bad but the night I remember was an 11 or 12-1 game and he was in for most of them. It looked like he was jumping out of the way of the puck. I’d never seen anything like it. Closest might have been that year Scrivens was jumping at the puck but Skorodenski was actually jumping out of the way. Made up my mind then that he had to be the worst ever. I was horrified when the Oilers picked him up but at least he wasn’t jumping out of the way of pucks anymore.

Reactions: dsi

dsi

Sep 13, 2005
Ottawa

Remember when McTavish had the brilliant day to start Markkanen and then play Morrison in the shootout...

It was Conklin who was replaced by “shootout expert” Morrison and then threw a fit. Oilers lost the shootout as well LOL

HockeyGuy1964

Oct 7, 2013
It was Conklin who was replaced by “shootout expert” Morrison and then threw a fit. Oilers lost the shootout as well LOL

Are you trying to say you wouldn't throw a fit because I know I would have & every other self-respecting goalie would have too.

dsi

Sep 13, 2005
Ottawa
My fondest memories of Skorodenski were as a Blackhawk playing the Oilers. That team made a lot of goalies look bad but the night I remember was an 11 or 12-1 game and he was in for most of them. It looked like he was jumping out of the way of the puck. I’d never seen anything like it. Closest might have been that year Scrivens was jumping at the puck but Skorodenski was actually jumping out of the way. Made up my mind then that he had to be the worst ever. I was horrified when the Oilers picked him up but at least he wasn’t jumping out of the way of pucks anymore.

I used to have a hockey card of Skorodenski for winning the Jennings trophy or save percentage leader or something like that while with the Hawks. Didn’t compute.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta

Like others have said, that was Conklin, and he doesn't and didn't deserve the benefit of the doubt. That wasn't a bad plan, because the goalies weren't reliable at all

dsi

Sep 13, 2005
Ottawa
Like others have said, that was Conklin, and he doesn't and didn't deserve the benefit of the doubt. That wasn't a bad plan, because the goalies weren't reliable at all

Conklin came across as feeling entitled, but he had done nothing to that point to deserve any respect. It was like rolling the dice with those three in net.

Reactions: Jimmi McJenkins

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Conklin came across as feeling entitled, but he had done nothing to that point to deserve any respect. It was like rolling the dice with those three in net.
That team was good enough to make it to game seven of the Stanley Cup final and they almost missed the playoffs (would have if Vancouver hadn’t of collapsed in the last month of the season) because it took Lowe until the deadline to find a goalie.

The Head Crusher

Re-retired
Jan 3, 2008
Edmonton
Essensa and that Russian goalie Shytorikin or whatever his name was weren’t great.

Didn’t we have that other Russian goalie as well that was afraid of bears and made fun of Edmonton being to cold. He was crap as well (Bryzgalov)

Mikhail Shtalenkov. Even though he only won 12 of the 33 games he played that season, 3 of them were shutouts. I found a Shtalenkov jersey on ebay around 2010. Nearly got it, but got out bid the last second.

JordanGalhanth

Apr 21, 2012
Looking at some of the shots being taken in this thread, and I gotta ask:

Why you heff to be mad?

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
That would be this game:

Bannerman was Chicago's main guy and was getting lots of credit for their series wins over Detroit and Minnesota, and then he met the '85 Oilers in game one. They lit him up, so coach Pulford decided to rest him in the third period and start Warren "Score-Against-Me" Skorodenski. In total, Warren played 33 minutes in the '85 playoffs, posting a .786 and a 10.91 GAA.

(In fairness to Skorodenski, he actually seems to have been quite good in the 27 games he played in the regular season...)

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Scrivens after he lost all confidence was real bad. Never seen a goalie litterally and without hyperbole turn over the puck to the opposition nearly every single time he touched it. I don’t know if Goalie Turnover stars are kept, but I’d be wager to say if they were Scrivens would have set a record for Goalie turnovers.

oilers'72

Jul 3, 2006
Red Deer, Alta
Conklin has to be at top of the list. One poster at the time ("gqlatin", if anyone recalls that name) referred to his attempts to sprawl out to make a save as the "Flying Samoan Fish Flop". He should've been sent to the minors but, either the EIG group couldn't afford to pay his salary in the AHL or no team wanted him.

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
Scrivens after he lost all confidence was real bad. Never seen a goalie litterally and without hyperbole turn over the puck to the opposition nearly every single time he touched it. I don’t know if Goalie Turnover stars are kept, but I’d be wager to say if they were Scrivens would have set a record for Goalie turnovers.

So strange too - I was there live for the his record breaking save game and it felt like he was unbeatable no matter how much pressure they had. All about confidence.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Yeah, but in that case, it was totally justified. Doesn't make him a bad goalie. You have to be pretty careful nominating a goalie during the decade of darkness because those were some pretty garbage teams defensively.

"Worst" can mean a lot of things. Talent isn't necessarily the only factor. And it's telling he never got another NHL contract after that season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad