Worst numbers for people to wear?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Slap Shop

Shop Like a King
Dec 23, 2002
Visit site
I wore 99 once for a 3 game Tournament.

I had the worst 3 games of my life. It was like physcological. I knew I had 99 on the back and I could never live up to anything like him. I ended up scoreless in the 3 games and fell on my ass several times. I even hated it when the jersey was handed to me. I wont wear 99 in a league but had to for this tournament and that is the last time I've ever wore 99.

69, and 99. 69 is just so 7th Grade.

Petey21

Dec 19, 2003
Sweden
www.geocities.com
I don't have any problems with any numbers even if they're famous numbers (like 99). The only ones I don't like is if they are not 1 or 2 digits, such as 100 or 1000 or stuff like that (I've seen a few examples, for special games only but it still looked lame). I think I even saw a guy once wearing like 98.7 or something as it was sponsored by a local radio station.

Stammer Time*

Sons of Pirates
Dec 6, 2003
St.Pete, Florida
I don't really mind kids wearing any number besides 69, for adults I don't like players using 66,99 any forward wearing a 2-9 or any defensemen wearing a 80-99.

knittingonskates

Apr 8, 2005
Qld, Australia
I play in pretty irregular numbers, 89 but also 87 as the jersey was a gift of a friend of mine who's played for ages.... in it.

We have lots of weird number's on our inline teams.

Gandrigor

Jul 18, 2005
Rhode Island
Psycho Joe said:
I think John Davidson did.
JD Wore 00 for 2 years when the Rangers changed their uniforms for a couple of years in the 70's. He went back to his regular number 30 in 78-79 when the rangers returned to their old uniforms. When JD talks about it now it is obvious he regrets ever wearing that number. He took a lot of flak for it. Jokes about his save % etc.

Dropkick Alex

Jan 30, 2004
Amherst, New York
I have no problem with any number that anyone wears, it's just a number if a kid wants to wear 99 let him, if he wants to wear 66 let him, there's no disrespect to that player it's actually respect to that player. Think about it, your wearing that number because you respect that player for what he has done on the ice.

braincramp

Mar 10, 2004
I agree. We wear our favorite player's number to watch a game; how does that change when we're playing?

I see we have moved from:

My team is better than your team
My city is better than your city
My player is better than your player

to:

My number is better than your number.

KStewart113

Jun 21, 2005
Pensfan86 said:
Playing off of the what number do you wear thread, I am curious to know what you all thought the worst number was to wear..

being from pittsburgh and a disciple of mario lemieux (ok hes like my favorite player ever), I HATED it when kids wore 66...or even 68 (jagr) for that matter. we used to dog kids who wore those numbers ridiculously bad

how about you guys>

A number is just that, a NUMBER! The number doesn't make the player, the player makes the number. Lemieux made 66 famous, Gretzky made 99. Espo made 7. Nash will make 61 a very popular number, and Crosby could make 87 famous too.

I always wear number 44, and its not because Bertuzzi or Pronger are my fav players,(cuz they arnt) it is what was left when I found it remaining in my rookie hockey season. I think more interesting numbers are good to get around. Example who wheres 98 or 88 or 59 or even 57? All it takes is for 1 future star to don a jersey wearing number 57 and if he turns into a Joe Sakic well there ya go, everyone will consider that player a rolemodel and want to wear numbers. I don't know about all of you but I'll play with any number.

Back to the main question....for me 1 number I had a few bad seasons with was number 9...but that again doesnt mean much. I had a bad 2 seasons, but I was still wearing 1 of the best hockey numbers there is!!!

popperbolt*

6, 16, 25, 35 all look horrible

I would wear #90 as a goalie and #9 or #91 as a player, for personal reasons and not because anyone other player wore it

Pantokrator

Who's the clown?
Jan 27, 2004
Semmes, Alabama
I just don't like it when numbers between 50 and 79 have the first number higher than the second number. Like I hate 51, but I dont mind 55, 56, 57, etc...Or I hate 60, 61, 62, but dont mind 66, 67 (not 69). After 80, it's ok.

I know that is about the stupidest thing you'd ever read on this board, but, hey, I never said I was smart. :dunce:

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
I think it has alot to do with who wears the number for me. When Joe Thornton came in wearing number 6 I nearly puked good thing he changed to 19. I dont know why people have a problem with 61 I think it looks good on Afinogenov and Nash. The only numbers I hate seeing were 53 and 72.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Steelhead16 said:
I have the worst example of that ever. I played with a guy who wore #69 and instead of his name on the back he had I.LUVBUSH on the back instead. I hated even being on the bench with that guy.

We've all met this guy, trust me. He is the hockey equivalent of Jim Rome's "softball guy". The sad truth is that if you took 69 away from him, he would come back with ".08". Yep, you're just a barrel of laughs, buddy... :shakehead

interminded

Aug 10, 2005
Netherlands
KStewart113 said:
A number is just that, a NUMBER! The number doesn't make the player, the player makes the number.

Completely agree.
It just a number. If Gretzky would have worn number 13, he would have been equally succesfull. It doesn't matter.

By the way, you guys know the story of Eric Lindros getting some bashing on the 92 Olympics because of the fact that he wore number 88 ?
Because for Modern-day Nazi's (yes yes, they still seems to exist.. :( ) the number 88 stands for the letters HH, which is associated with the term Heil Hitler.

So there is it, people can really lose their heads about a number ... sad.

Hockeylover

Oct 5, 2005
I play at the gym with a Bruins jersey that has Bobby Orr at the back with his number 4. I apologize for that... :bow: I also used the Ken Dryden 29 on my CH and 1972 Summit jerseys. But I think it's ok.

I wear the Orr jersey because because I like to think that my hero Orr plays with me. I play better with that jersey.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad