Marek Malik
Matt Walker
John Grahame
JT Brown
Brett Connolly
Jonathan Drouin
Kristian Kudroc

Don't think Gourde came close to unseating these guys in my book
Matt Walker, what an awful signing by Lawton.

Yzerman became a legend when he traded him away to Philly for Simon Gagne.

CaptBrannigan

Apr 5, 2006
Tampa
A lot of these posts just read as ‘players I didn’t like’, I don’t think any player mentioned yet (except Littman) is truly in the running. There were the early 2000s seasons where we didn’t have our own farm team that featured short call ups of “prospects” from all over that map that were all worse players then the ones mentioned so far (Gaeten Royer to name one).

Witkowski stands out too.

That doesn’t even consider the players on the 50 loss season streak teams.

Lots of spoiled fans, or fans who didn’t know just how bad some of those teams were or how bad the development system used to be.

Edit: fun thought experiment, to add some more names into the debate you have straight up goons like Gordie Dwyer and Ryan Tobler. For the most games played by a non-goalie without recording a point, you have Ian Herbers with 37.

Last edited:

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
A lot of these posts just read as ‘players I didn’t like’, I don’t think any player mentioned yet (except Littman) is truly in the running. There were the early 2000s seasons where we didn’t have our own farm team that featured short call ups of “prospects” from all over that map that were all worse players then the ones mentioned so far (Gaeten Royer to name one).

Lots of spoiled fans, or fans who didn’t know just how bad some of those teams were or how bad the development system used to be.
The worst players don't stick around for more than maybe a few games. By definition, they're going to be deep cuts. (ex. somebody that played 12 minutes in 1997)

Guys who are given too much responsibility/ice time are more memorable.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

Edit: fun thought experiment, to add some more names into the debate you have straight up goons like Gordie Dwyer and Ryan Tobler. For the most games played by a non-goalie without recording a point, you have Ian Herbers with 37.
Man, Sustr, Lindback, and late career Carle were objectively terrible.

Tampa22

Eternally grateful TBL enforcers!
Oct 11, 2010
Buenos Aires, Argentina

If you put enforcers in the list is only cause you hate the fights in the game. Royer play less than 5 games. Dwyer or Tobler doesn't play more than 5 minutes per game. It's absurd....

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
If you put enforcers in the list is only cause you hate the fights in the game. Royer play less than 5 games. Dwyer or Tobler doesn't play more than 5 minutes per game. It's absurd....
Why don't they play more than 5 minutes per game?

Tampa22

Eternally grateful TBL enforcers!
Oct 11, 2010
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Why don't they play more than 5 minutes per game?
Of course this doesn't apply in every game and with all the players but happened because they are enforcers (And 90% of the people who are against that kind of players want speedy winger skating fast and not patrolling the ice, example Guy Boucher). Another era of the sport and mentally. If you ask me I love them and want back but just a couple resist a game playing 10 minutes per game.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Alex Volkov likely does not deserve mention but I have very rarely witnessed a player where the game just "happens around him" as much as it did with him. It was like watching Jesse Puljujarvi all over again. Had he stayed longer I have no doubt we'd have seen legendary frustration with him. Like worse than Purcell

Reactions: Tampa22

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Alex Volkov likely does not deserve mention but I have very rarely witnessed a player where the game just "happens around him" as much as it did with him. It was like watching Jesse Puljujarvi all over again. Had he stayed longer I have no doubt we'd have seen legendary frustration with him. Like worse than Purcell
Fun fact. Alex Volkov had been on the ice in the NHL for less than 2 hours (regular season and playoffs combined) when he won the Stanley Cup.

111 minutes and 55 seconds to be precise.

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
There's a difference between disliked/seasonal scapegoat and worst. Guy's like Purcell fit the former, tough to find the absolute worst. I've never been more enraged with two defenseman since 2003 (when I started watching) than last two seasons of Carle and all of Sustrs career. I'd have to sit and think for forwards.

RussianGuyovich

Hella Ennui
Jan 2, 2007
As the resident lightning defenseman anti-defamation president I can stand here and say that sustr was completely untenable to me as a nhl defenseman/player. Just godawful.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
There's a difference between disliked/seasonal scapegoat and worst. Guy's like Purcell fit the former, tough to find the absolute worst. I've never been more enraged with two defenseman since 2003 (when I started watching) than last two seasons of Carle and all of Sustrs career. I'd have to sit and think for forwards.

Am I the only one on this forum that watched the abomination they tried to pass off in 99-00 as an NHL team?

I'm truly happy that for some of ya'll Matt Carle is the low bar, because it gets a hell of a lot lower. Ya'll don't know true suffering until names like Dieter Kochan, Ian Herbers, and Gordier Dwyer give you PTSD decades later.

Reactions: Maelmoor and Hoek

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Fun fact. Alex Volkov had been on the ice in the NHL for less than 2 hours (regular season and playoffs combined) when he won the Stanley Cup.

111 minutes and 55 seconds to be precise.
That has to be close to a record. He looked bored and uncomfortable at the parade too

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009

I mean you're right and then you contradict yourself by mentioning Witkowski......

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
Am I the only one on this forum that watched the abomination they tried to pass off in 99-00 as an NHL team?

I'm truly happy that for some of ya'll Matt Carle is the low bar, because it gets a hell of a lot lower. Ya'll don't know true suffering until names like Dieter Kochan, Ian Herbers, and Gordier Dwyer give you PTSD decades later.
The team didn't exist before I started watching.

Yeah, I said it.

Major4Boarding

Unfamiliar Moderator
Jan 30, 2009
South of Heaven
You are not alone, my friend. I know of at least six of us that frequent this board. And some of them go back to the Thunderdome days.

I’ll have to dig up the pictures or, at the very least, go to the storage unit and get the “Will Play For Beer” bags out and post some pics of those

Reactions: Hoek and Rschmitz

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
You are not alone, my friend. I know of at least six of us that frequent this board. And some of them go back to the Thunderdome days.

I’ll have to dig up the pictures or, at the very least, go to the storage unit and get the “Will Play For Beer” bags out and post some pics of those

Any one here attend the inaugural game with me? :nod:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad