Worst Lightning player ever?

BoltSTH

Sep 4, 2008
Tampa
'Worst' is so subjective. Do you treat a try out player who at least is trying the same a a lottery pick player who does not care and sucks?

My list:

Vladimir Mihalik . Skated like a drunken hippo with tunnel vision

Most Disappointing:
Alexander Svitov Nikita Alexeev Andy Rogers

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
'Worst' is so subjective. Do you treat a try out player who at least is trying the same a a lottery pick player who does not care and sucks?

My list:

Vladimir Mihalik . Skated like a drunken hippo with tunnel vision

Most Disappointing:
Alexander Svitov Nikita Alexeev Andy Rogers

svitov for me crazy thing is that is same time we had weekes lol both just miserable fails and yes was worst goalies then weekseys but honestly he sucked bad for us

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
PC Labrie might be the worst skater I've ever seen in a lightning sweater. There were some bad players in the late 90's early 2000's but my memory has been tainted by alcohol since then so don't remember the names as well.

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
PC Labrie might be the worst skater I've ever seen in a lightning sweater. There were some bad players in the late 90's early 2000's but my memory has been tainted by alcohol since then so don't remember the names as well.

that's a good one.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
I will always and forever have nightmares of Andrej Meszaros. He's probably not THE worst player in Lightning history but good Gawd, King the man was absolutely terrible. Seemed like every time he blocked a shot it went into our net.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
I'm assuming by worst player you mean which player was allowed to display the most suckage for the longest period of time. The era between 1998-2002 probably includes like 25 of the top 30 of those, because the team had so little in the way of depth and threw long shot prospects or high pedigree poorly developed prospects onto the ice hoping for the best, due to a lack of organizational structure.

The duo of Kristian Kudroc + Mathieu Biron were allowed to suck for way too long simply due to their draft stock and lack of anything resembling a minor league system. Sheldon Keefe also earned a regular spot due to his CHL offensive #'s but that part of his game was neutered against NHL forwards and he became an inaffective undersized agitator who couldn't play defense. Don't ask me how Gordie Dwyer was allowed to step on NHL ice aside from him being willing to fight.

David Wilkie gets my vote though. He was a human highlight reel of dumpster fire and standout amongst our solid lineup of dumpster fires on the inaugural roster, and by some strange unmerciful miracle made it through a second season on the team. His play may have single handedly forced the hand of the NHL to change the expansion rules.

Maelmoor

Apr 20, 2004
Stockholm, Sweden
The era between 1998-2002 probably includes like 25 of the top 30 of those, because the team had so little in the way of depth and threw long shot prospects or high pedigree poorly developed prospects onto the ice hoping for the best, due to a lack of organizational structure.

Agreed, those years were beyond bad..

99-00 we let in 310 goals, the defense was beyond bad with Kubina and Svoboda as our top d-man, with players such as Mara, Herbers, Zyuzin, Muir etc behind them..

We used six goalies that season, Dan Cloutier played 52 games and actually had the best GAA of 3.49 and a SV% of 88.5%

Zac Bierk, Kevin Hodson, Rich Parent, Dieter Kochan and Darren Puppa (who barely could stand up due to back pains/injuries) were the rest :help:

Still having nightmares from those years

RDTBay4

Apr 28, 2014
Clearwater, FL
d6592d5b2332c54bf6e747f20a9f1482--tampa-bay-lightning-lightning-bolt.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: OffBy1

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
You can like a player and still think it was the right move to get rid of them, it's moreso his caphit relative to performance more than anything, same thing with TJ?

Gourde had a massively underperforming season in 2020 right after the Columbus sweep while carrying a large caphit. He definitely bounced back but this team wasn't going to ice multiple 5M 3rd liners for very long.
Agreed. Just saying sometimes it's weird to see the love affair with Gourde for those of us old enough to remember when he was probably a top-5 most ever sh*t upon player on this board. Like Carle, TJ, Lindback, Gourde, Purcell.

Reactions: RussianGuyovich

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
Agreed. Just saying sometimes it's weird to see the love affair with Gourde for those of us old enough to remember when he was probably a top-5 most ever sh*t upon player on this board. Like Carle, TJ, Lindback, Gourde, Purcell.
How dare you not add Sustr in that list. Gourde would be sixth easily.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
How dare you not add Sustr in that list. Gourde would be sixth easily.
I think he was 5th over Purcell. I think at his lowest point, Teddy had more support than Yanni.

Sustr, yeah. He might be #1, even over Carle and Lindback. Everybody else is just a contender for his championship.

Reactions: DistantThunderRep

DrMartinVanNostrand

Kramerica Industries
Oct 6, 2017
Tampa, FL

I've said this before, but until those back-to-back Cups, my foremost memory of Gourde (fair or not) was him fluffing a gifted goal opportunity against the Capitals in that Game 7 when it was still a 0-0 game. We'd been shutout for over six periods worth of hockey at that point, we needed literally anything to try and get a little confidence back in our sticks, Holtby gave us that, and Gourde couldn't bury it. I think every single one of us knew at that moment we weren't winning that game.

It really makes me glad Gourde got redemption for that when, in the same exact game three years later, he scored the only goal of the game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad