Worst Lightning player ever?

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Agreed. Just saying sometimes it's weird to see the love affair with Gourde for those of us old enough to remember when he was probably a top-5 most ever sh*t upon player on this board. Like Carle, TJ, Lindback, Gourde, Purcell.

My top 5

Alex Tanguay
Marc Denis
Ryan Callahan
Marc-Andre Bergeron
Matt Carle

HM's
Brenden Morrow
Marek Malik
Matt Walker
John Grahame
JT Brown
Brett Connolly
Jonathan Drouin
Kristian Kudroc

Don't think Gourde came close to unseating these guys in my book

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
My top 5

Alex Tanguay
Marc Denis
Ryan Callahan
Marc-Andre Bergeron
Matt Carle

HM's
Brenden Morrow
Marek Malik
Matt Walker
John Grahame
JT Brown
Brett Connolly
Jonathan Drouin
Kristian Kudroc

Don't think Gourde came close to unseating these guys in my book
For you personally or for the board? For the board, I think Gourde's lowest point was about even with Callahan.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
For you personally or for the board? For the board, I think Gourde's lowest point was about even with Callahan.

This is how I remember the board reacting, this is anecdotal and I could just be having selective memory. I know the vitriol towards Callahan was blunted by the fact we had plenty of space for that contract at the time.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
This is how I remember the board reacting, this is anecdotal and I could just be having selective memory. I know the vitriol towards Callahan was blunted by the fact we had plenty of space for that contract at the time.
Oh then, like me, you forgot Sustr. ;p

But Gourde's lowest point was pretty low. He was the whipping boy one year.

Reactions: Rschmitz

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Oh then, like me, you forgot Sustr. ;p

But Gourde's lowest point was pretty low. He was the whipping boy one year.
2019-20 right? Gourde had just gotten his mega extension with a full NTC while we let Miller go in his favor who instantly began to tear up the league (27 goals, 72 points). Gourde had no consistent linemates but boy was he bad that year (10 goals, 30 points). Totally redeemed himself in the playoffs though.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
2019-20 right? Gourde had just gotten his mega extension with a full NTC while we let Miller go in his favor who instantly began to tear up the league (27 goals, 72 points). Gourde had no consistent linemates but boy was he bad that year (10 goals, 30 points). Totally redeemed himself in the playoffs though.
He also went scoreless for 36 games.

Reactions: LightningStrikes

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
There is no way Gourde received even close to the hate Purcell, Sustr or Carle got. I'd say Tj got it even worse than Gourde too.

Reactions: Stammertime91

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
Don’t forget Andrej Sustr and Lukas Krajicek.
With Krajicek that really gets into how you want to define “worst.” He was a sub par player on a bad team and eventually he was pushed out of the league, but it’s the Ovechkin thing that makes him despised. There are probably worse players than him, even just from that time period, but many less memorable.

bov

Nov 13, 2010
Mitch Fritz, David Koci. For longer tenured players, Carle.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Sustr has to be a candidate, especially during his slumps. Late period Carle seemed bad at every facet of the game, and was out of the NHL the year after he left.

Oh but wait...

Anders Lindback

The goalie that later made a career by signing to teams intending to tank.

RussianGuyovich

Hella Ennui
Jan 2, 2007
Sustr has to be a candidate, especially during his slumps. Late period Carle seemed bad at every facet of the game, and was out of the NHL the year after he left.

Oh but wait...

Anders Lindback

The goalie that later made a career by signing to teams intending to tank.
except...he cost us two seconds. (aberg, and sissons)

Tampa22

Eternally grateful TBL enforcers!
Oct 11, 2010
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Mitch Fritz, David Koci. For longer tenured players, Carle.
But Fritz and Koci are not hockey players to see skating fast or score goals, I never put an enforcer in the worst list cause they get few bucks to play a couple of minutes and do another kind of job. If you put the category of fights, well they can be on the top about bad fighters with our Lightning, yes.
I agree with Carle of course, forget him!

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
It has to be Dieter Kochan, through no fault of his own. Dudley yanked him out of the UHL and he was thrown to the wolves immediately. That's only marginally better than putting me in there.

Reactions: Major4Boarding

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
I wasn't here on HF for it but Andrej Meszaros probably deserves some sort of honorable mention. My cat loafs around less than he did. Dude is the definition of "paid and fade"

Reactions: Tampa22

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
He became a solid defenceman in the end for us but when it comes to whipping boys, Rutta got it pretty bad for a while when he first got here.

Reactions: Rschmitz

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad