Post-Game Talk: Worst Leafs performance I’ve seen in 25 years as a fan

Status
Not open for further replies.

FraumBallard

Dec 9, 2018
I think the first thing you need is to sit down with Tavares/Marner/Matthews/Nylander and find out what kind of players they want to be. Show them how the high competitive players go.

Then you need to assemble a small core that is the example of compete and details to their game. The standard they will be expected to play. If not, then you look at changing them. But last night, the arm around the shoulder approach should be over. Feel good is great but it’s not a country club, it’s still a business to win the Cup.
It's gotta start at the top.
This mess is ALL on Wonder Boy.
If Shanahan won't fire him.
Now.
Then he should be fired.

TML11

Feb 11, 2017
Ya im really disappointed in this team. I wouldnt care if they came into this season and just werent good enough to make the playoffs. I obviously wouldnt be happy, but i wouldnt be this emotionally drained. The fact that leafs have displayed multiple times this season that they have the talent when they show up to beat anyone in this league is what is so disheartening.

They literally just came off the best game in years, said it will be different moving forward and go on to play potentially the most embarrassing game in this teams 100 year history. They lost to an emergency backup who didnt even want to win!

Effort is all we ask for, if they lose trying than we cant fault the players. If they lose with that effort than we can only fault the players.
  • "This team isn't talented enough to win on talent alone."--- Herb Brooks RIP.

Reactions: meefer

Guided by Veseys

Nov 14, 2011
the conversation goes somethign liek this

Dad I don't know how to fix this

You need to show up tomorrow and show you are not hiding.

Thanks Dad...

Now that was a word for word transcript of the call... don't ask how I got it.. lets just say ... I know people ;)
Omg! You are Michael Nylander!!
Of course. It all makes sense now.

Reactions: TML11

Old and Tired

Mar 11, 2019
Tape on a duck’s ass...Nylander didn’t lose the game, but as part of the team that lost elected to get to work the next day. IF that’s the definition of self-absorbed, give me twenty more William Nylanders.[/QUOTE

You can have them, all 20.

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
Anyone bagging on this team right now does not deserve to cheer for them if they turn this around.
You know how many thousands of dollars I've spent watching this team at home and on the road? The number of games I've watched in my lifetime only to always be let down at the end? And I STILL watch them .... get off your high horse telling everyone who's fans and who's not fans, because you have an opinion of some kind.

Guess what, we all have opinions and this is a forum we get to air them out. You don't like it, go line up to sniff the the Leafs' players jocks and kiss their asses. You are a sucker if you think they deserve a pass for this game, especially after how many of these games they produce

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
the conversation goes somethign liek this

Dad I don't know how to fix this

You need to show up tomorrow and show you are not hiding.

Thanks Dad...

Now that was a word for word transcript of the call... don't ask how I got it.. lets just say ... I know people ;)
It’s great that Nylander showed up to practice. I’m not being sarcastic, that is great compared to the rest, however:

If you are not going to bring outwork your opponent (everyone) to the game, it doesn’t matter if you practice 17 times a week in a controlled environment.

The fundamental issues remain.

Reactions: ANDI P IS CUTE

dmead

Code Spelunker
Jan 12, 2018
London
To put it succinctly, the Leafs played without the will to compete, without pride.

I now remember why I stopped following the Leafs in the Ballardian days. Well at least those teams left all on the ice.

Last edited:
Reactions: seventieslord

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Seriously, it would probably be better for the team if we could trade Tavares to the Islanders for Komarov and Martin. We need their heart and effort a lot more than we need another lazy scorer.

But the Isles would never agree.

Third Degree Burns

Feb 12, 2019
Ahhh yes...it didnt dawn on pajama boy that maybe he should say "hey boys, we should probably practice today anyway". Do they even like hockey??

KIWILEAFFAN

Dec 28, 2011
New Zealand
Well done Leafs.

At least I could get thru my day without anyone mentioning it here. Unlike you poor buggers living in the meca. You miserable excuse for a hockey team still manage to embarrass a couple life long fans, 6000 @#$%in km away. You useless pricks.
The only time the NHL makes news here in NZ, is usually after the Stanley Cup final.

Yesterdays embarrassment was front and center on our prime time news just now.
I have already had 3 txts from mates (circiling the blood in the water) by asking what team I support in the NHL. Think I will ignore them for a day or 2.
God it sucks being a Leaf fan......even at the bottom of the world.

What time and who do we play tuesday? :help:

Last edited:

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
Seriously, it would probably be better for the team if we could trade Tavares to the Islanders for Komarov and Martin. We need their heart and effort a lot more than we need another lazy scorer.

Scoring still matters. Effort and heart alone do not guarantee anything.

Columbus plays with heart and effort. If that was all that mattered, they'd be heavy Cup favorites.

Or The Flyers. They have had a lot of teams that play with that type of effort, but no Cups since the mid-70s.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County

But the Isles would never agree.

tenor.gif

Dirty Dan

Saturday Night Lupul
May 5, 2010
in ur crease
I get it you don't want to light up a Zamboni Driver, its classless.
But just knows the leafs were not even close to scoring on him, LOL! sad to watch

Vancouver destroyed Boston 9-3, that is a time you want to light up a team. A team that embarrassed you in the playoffs and ruined your franchise. Vancouver didn't let up, they kept coming and killed them.

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
After that sh*t show vs Carolina, I took a day off to calm down and to avoid what I knew would be a horror story in the PGT. Didn't help. I'm sure others have said what I'm feeling, but I'm going to say it anyway. This team sucks. No identity, no heart, no spirit, no attention to detail, no desire. Talent, sure we've got that in spades, but spine...nope. Passion, don't see it. Pride, nada. Maybe those who dump on Dubas were right, that caving and signing the three wonder boys was wrong. Maybe. Because people tend to appreciate the things they've earned more than the things they've been given, right? That this is on Dubas. Or maybe, god forbid, personal accountability is something to be considered, just saying. That far too many of the players on this team show up when it suits them and how it suits them. Ya, Matthews can score like a god, brilliant, but at 6'3" and 220lbs+ I've seen one shift this year, ONE, where he's thrown his weight around like he was pissed. 'but I'm here to score goals'. Marner is a wizard with the puck, I get that, but...never mind, I can't even get to Willy.

There are 3 players on this team who you can generally count on to give an honest effort: Tavares, Muzzin and Hyman. That's it. 9 out of 10 games they bust their butts. The results may not be what we want, but they try.

That's not enough.

As a Leafs fan til the day I die I'll bleed blue for this team. I just wish more of the players would do the same.

Flyerthug

Apr 15, 2019
really? That’s what you think? They literally scored 2 goals on 2 shots. Then just stopped.

almost like they didn’t feel good about embarrassing a friend on national tv.....

How people don’t get it is beyond me. I mean the team has done itself no favours. But come on. It’s pretty clear what happened

there’s no winning...... embarrass your friend or get embarrassed. Like if they pump him for 8 goals.... then what?
is dillusional...lol

Dayjobdave

Apr 29, 2010
Well done Leafs.

At least I could get thru my day without anyone mentioning it here. Unlike you poor buggers living in the meca. You miserable excuse for a hockey team still manage to embarrass a couple life long fans, 6000 @#$%in km away. You useless pricks.
The only time the NHL makes news here in NZ, is usually after the Stanley Cup final.

Yesterdays embarrassment was front and center on our prime time news just now.
I have already had 3 txts from mates (circiling the blood in the water) by asking what team I support in the NHL. Think I will ignore them for a day or 2.
God it sucks being a Leaf fan......even at the bottom of the world.

What time and who do we play tuesday? :help:

Hey mate it can actually be worse when you’re closer like us poor Toronto fellas. ;-)

We all have so many buddies who are the “whoever the Leafs are playing” fans. They are everywhere - bars, coffee shops, on the radio, in referee uniforms, on HFBoards, and the Zamboni jokes will be yet another thing we have to bear until our day finally comes. And when it does, they’ll all say it’s not a real win for some reason, so we have to stick together as Leaf fans.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad