Worst Hab players of all time or in your lifetime?

Forum93

Feb 16, 2015
I've looked back and didn't find a thread about this.

Which Hab have you hated the most and why? Or maybe, if "hate" is too strong a word, who has disappointed you the most or someone you just couldn't stand?

There could be more than one and it could be a player or players from another era or several eras. It could be someone who played in your lifetime or someone you looked into from another era.

xPqGMAM.jpg

The "worst" for you can be someone who has some qualities but perhaps didn't put in effort consistently. Or, someone who you couldn't relate to for some reason or who drove you nuts cause he seemed to get preferential treatment from the coach or the GM.

Or it could be someone who produced in meaningless games, or who was an early season producer and then disappeared for months. Or who you kind of liked as a Hab but you really hated when he wore another team's colors. Or who flat-out disappeared in the playoffs or who was a shameless diver and faker and it embarrassed you as a fan of the team.

Or still, could even be someone who was consistently orbiting the planet like Rene Bourque:

HRqCVPl.gif

A site attempted a list of the worst Habs, a couple of years ago: Top 15 Worst Montreal Canadiens Players Ever

It could also be someone you hated from the get-go, that the Habs landed in a trade and who you had a strong feeling that it wouldn't work out: Montreal Canadiens: Five Worst Trades of the Last Decade

Or, it could also be a draft bust: Montreal Canadiens Worst 5 Draft Busts During the 2000’s
Maybe someone who was picked ahead of several other much better players who had meaningful careers but the Michael Busto they went for, has always drawn your ire since he continues to be a reminder for who they passed over or perhaps, it was a high pick that just disappeared.

Yet again, it could be a player you used to like but who became long in the tooth, unproductive or lazy in the latter part of his career when he was getting ice time on account of past services rendered, reputation or coach's preference. Maybe his worst years drove you to hate the guy despite his better earlier career. Or maybe, he never produced as a Hab and he was both underperforming and grossly overpaid.

FCep22v.jpg

So who's the Hab player you've really despised and why? Or perhaps several players.

Please let's leave out any race and/or language-related comments or any reasons that violate or may be interpreted as infringing this site's rules.

And let's keep it to players only, not GMs, nor coaches nor anyone else who was or is known for his work while wearing a suit.

You've picked 3 good, I mean bad ones right there.

Reactions: Runner77

Forum93

Feb 16, 2015
Louis Leblanc, waste of a first round pick. Skated like he belonged in peewee.
Guillaume Latendresse, complete junk. 6'2" and 230 pound ballerina afraid of his own shadow.
PJ Stock, pure garbage, could be the worst player I've ever seen. Poster boy for zero talent hockey players. Just a big mouth who didn't want to be here anyway.
Mario Tremblay, first round pick with 7th round talent. I don't know if he was worse as a player or a coach. Would start trouble and run away.
Benoit Brunet, I don't know why but he reminded me of Kazoo on the Flinstones. Probably because his head and helmet were so huge compared to his body. His best season was 32 points but he sits on french TV and criticizes players and gives advice on how they should play. A complete joke and I'm embarrassed that he wore a Habs jersey.

I'm sure there are more but these are the ones that came to mind right away.

I liked Tremblay as a player, he was a good s**t disturber rat type player , but as a coach yikes!

Schwang

May 6, 2002
Kingston, Ont
Visit site
Louis Leblanc, waste of a first round pick. Skated like he belonged in peewee.
Guillaume Latendresse, complete junk. 6'2" and 230 pound ballerina afraid of his own shadow.
PJ Stock, pure garbage, could be the worst player I've ever seen. Poster boy for zero talent hockey players. Just a big mouth who didn't want to be here anyway.
Mario Tremblay, first round pick with 7th round talent. I don't know if he was worse as a player or a coach. Would start trouble and run away.
Benoit Brunet, I don't know why but he reminded me of Kazoo on the Flinstones. Probably because his head and helmet were so huge compared to his body. His best season was 32 points but he sits on french TV and criticizes players and gives advice on how they should play. A complete joke and I'm embarrassed that he wore a Habs jersey.

I'm sure there are more but these are the ones that came to mind right away.
Gotta disagree with Brunet on that list. He was an amazing checking forward and penalty killer. Made of porcelain, but he doesn’t belong on that list.

Forum93

Feb 16, 2015
There were/are so many players but here are a few-

Gomez- one of the biggest mistakes in franchise history
Brisebois- nicknamed Breezeby for a good reason
Petry- one of the softest D-men since Breezeby
DD- thanks to Michel
Vanek- never really wanted to play for Les Canadiens, his heart was in Minnesota.

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
Considering the cost, length of contract, and at the rate he's going ... might be Price.
It's not his contract, it's his personality, or bizarre non-personality. A mix of shyness and arrogance, non talking but body language, attitude without accomplishment, etc. I've heard on 91,9 that nobody is allowed to talk to him except Stephane Waite. He thinks his value is so high that he became the most overpaid athlete, in any sport. And what about the team spirit. Its becoming common that we have to blame the players in front of him all the time. The D in front of him (2 guys) are paid 30% of his salary . How about a good thing for the team unity !! He allow a soft goal, that was the defence fault.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Rucinsky had some 20 goal seasons with the Habs.

He led the team in scoring once and on three other occasions eclipsed fifty points.

He was never anywhere close to the neighbourhood of being the worst player on his team.

For a little context, Rucinsky played with the following guys:

Juha Lind, Francis Belanger, Eric Bertrand, Johan Witehall, Matthieu Descoteaux, Jean-Francois Jomphe, Miloslav Guren, Eric Houde, Alain Nasreddine, Dave Morissette, Trent McCleary, Pierre Sevigny, Eric Landry, Reid Simpson, Martti Jarventie, Craig Darby, Benoit Gratton and, of course, Mick Vukota.

Reactions: Tyson

Seb

All we are is Dustin Byfuglien
Jul 15, 2006
I feel some people are mistaking "Worst habs player" with "Player I hate the most"

There's legitimately no reason to put Price, Ribeiro, Plekanec, Gomez, Dagenais and Desharnais in such list.

The ultimate answer to the question has to be some obscure goon back then. But in the age where goons are now gone I have to say, as recent as it is, that Dwight King was absolutely the worst player I've seen play for the Habs. Complete disaster.

Genesis76

True Leader
May 3, 2013
I feel some people are mistaking "Worst habs player" with "Player I hate the most"

There's legitimately no reason to put Price, Ribeiro, Plekanec, Gomez, Dagenais and Desharnais in such list.

The ultimate answer to the question has to be some obscure goon back then. But in the age where goons are now gone I have to say, as recent as it is, that Dwight King was absolutely the worst player I've seen play for the Habs. Complete disaster.

Well in all honesty, i dont think i have seen another goalie with habs that let in 4-5-6 goals a night.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Sorry guys, but seriously, this thread shows immaturity. Every guy who made the NHL made the NHL...there have been some bad players over the years, but they still made the show.

Reactions: Svart

Jul 6, 2016
Dwight King...and by far. And a goon named Baron. Georges Laraque was pretty useless too.

CheldishGamibno

Turtles & Refrigerators
Aug 19, 2006
Mute City

DD- thanks to Michel
Vanek- never really wanted to play for Les Canadiens, his heart was in Minnesota.
This is so far from the worst players in the Habs history.
Juha Lind, Patrick Traverse, Karl Dykhuis, Gordie Dwyer and Dwight King were better than the players you cited?

Jul 6, 2016

DD- thanks to Michel

we will give you a second chance to find worst ones. Should not be hard IF you know hockey.....

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
Any player that played less than 1 season shouldn't even be included. Not enough time to hate.

Two players come to mind: Doug Wickenheiser for one. Not really because of anything he did, but for what he didn't do. Every time I saw him, I got mad because he could have been Denis Savard instead and we probably would have one or two more cup banners to add.

The second is Patrice Brisebois, the epitome of bad attitude and self-aggrandizement. The guy has a "Face à fesser dedans." I get pissed off just looking at him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad