Worst goalie equipment offender?

ChuckLefley

Jan 5, 2016
Goalie equipment is fine imo, but if they want to shrink it then the players should go back to using wood sticks.
If the NHL really wants to increase scoring I think they should enforce the icing rule for teams on the penalty kill.
rinne_pekka640.jpg

Even with Pekka Rinne, there is plenty of net to shoot at.

Except you aren't seeing the goal from where the puck is. It's called the shooters illusion. Here is an example of how the view from a camera not on the ice or the shooters height is totally different than the one from the puck. You'll notice how little area there actually is to shoot at.
view-of-puck.jpg

JoeCool16

Sep 9, 2011
Vancouver
Was going to use Hutch as an example of a goalie that wears reasonably-sized gear.

I saw a pair of his pads for sale, they were 34+2". Pretty small for a 6'4" goalie.

The 34 is measuring the pad from the ground to the knee, though. The +2 is the extra coming off the top. He wouldn't be able to wear 36 or 38 if he's wearing 34, his knee wouldn't drop in the right spot in the pad. If he's wearing a 34 and is really tall, that just means he has shorter legs.

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
Every goalie is like a friggin table-hockey goalie now. Just slide left-to-right.
It's so freakin' boring.

You just don't get it man, allow me explain to you what you should find exciting. It's the .1 second difference that elite goalies have in their push off post to post to maintain perfect positioning in order to make another chest save. So dramatic and exciting. Now you know and will enjoy the game much more.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Honestly, if scoring got out of control, I'd love to 'wait and see' for the next 20 years while offensive stars shine just like goalies have had their way for the past 2 decades while the NHL slowly, OH SO SLOWLY, tried rinky-dink ways to create an equal balance between defense and offense.

Give me 9 goals per game until 2036 and then we'll discuss going to wooden sticks, or 5lb skates.

Or a slight pad size increase :laugh:

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
Well a bulletproof vest will stop a very small object from penetrating your flesh and shredding your insides. I don't think anyone's worried about a hockey puck doing that. If you wore a bulletproof vest and tried to stop a slapshot, you'd break ribs.

As someone who has worn a flak with plates in for 15 months in various combat zones I can assure you if you had teflon plates in the flak jacket you would not break your ribs from a slapshot. At most you would get a bruise for 2-3 days.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
My point about comparing the bullet proof vest and goalie equipment should be clear.
There are materials available that allow for maximum protection without the bulk.

A high-school friend of mine works for a major goalie equipment manufacturer and he's told me for years that they could easily make goalie equipment that is just as safe, but half the size.
But they would never do that because the minute a goalie manufacturer comes out with slim gear is the same day that goalie manufacturer goes out of business because there isn't a goalie on this planet that would want to have a higher GAA or lower SV%.

The pads I posted are friggin' ridiculous.
Furthermore, BOO FREAKIN HOO if you get a boo-boo stopping a hard shot.
What do you think guys like Ken Dryden felt like when Bobby Hull was winding up?
Somehow, impossibly, not one goalie died when stopping his shots.
Just like Fuhr didn't collapse in a pool of blood from stopping all those Al MacInnis shots.

Enough with the propaganda goalies. The gear today is designed to block the net, just as much as it's to protect or prevent pain. Probably more so.

Several retired NHL goalies have come out and said as much, including the godfather of sofa cushions, Garth Snow.

And lets remember it was Cory Hirsch who pointed out the adjustments that could be made to slim gear down, not Pavel Bure.

Enough of the whining already.
And for the record, I'm not against goalies. I actually like goalies. I'd love to return to an era when a goalie was actually exciting where you saw acrobatic saves, not one boring belly save after another.
Sometimes I wonder if goalies like Ben Bishop START the game on their knee's.
Every goalie is like a friggin table-hockey goalie now. Just slide left-to-right.
It's so freakin' boring.

I was going to argue with you till you mentioned your high school friend. He doesn't sound like a guy you want to second guess.

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
Yeah, Price too. It's interesting that some of the lesser offenders are some of the best goalies.

826101-carey-price-pas-joue-depuis.jpg

Seems to be the case. I like that Price and Rask aren't over inflated. Makes them actually more enjoyable to watch.

I think they did something about it a few years ago (correct me if I'm wrong) but goalie sweaters were incredibly long. A friend has a game worn Byron Defoe sweater and hangs down to just above your knees, taking away even more of the five hole.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Shrink the pants, shrink the chestys a bit, and I think the mods to the goalie gear should be done. The chests and arms are the only thing that are bigger than the gear from the 80's

THall4

Feb 25, 2014
Edmonton, AB
My point about comparing the bullet proof vest and goalie equipment should be clear.
There are materials available that allow for maximum protection without the bulk.

A high-school friend of mine works for a major goalie equipment manufacturer and he's told me for years that they could easily make goalie equipment that is just as safe, but half the size.
But they would never do that because the minute a goalie manufacturer comes out with slim gear is the same day that goalie manufacturer goes out of business because there isn't a goalie on this planet that would want to have a higher GAA or lower SV%.

The pads I posted are friggin' ridiculous.
Furthermore, BOO FREAKIN HOO if you get a boo-boo stopping a hard shot.
What do you think guys like Ken Dryden felt like when Bobby Hull was winding up?
Somehow, impossibly, not one goalie died when stopping his shots.
Just like Fuhr didn't collapse in a pool of blood from stopping all those Al MacInnis shots.

Enough with the propaganda goalies. The gear today is designed to block the net, just as much as it's to protect or prevent pain. Probably more so.

Several retired NHL goalies have come out and said as much, including the godfather of sofa cushions, Garth Snow.

And lets remember it was Cory Hirsch who pointed out the adjustments that could be made to slim gear down, not Pavel Bure.

Enough of the whining already.
And for the record, I'm not against goalies. I actually like goalies. I'd love to return to an era when a goalie was actually exciting where you saw acrobatic saves, not one boring belly save after another.
Sometimes I wonder if goalies like Ben Bishop START the game on their knee's.
It's so freakin' boring.

/ thread.

Patrick Roy wore a size XXXL jersey all his career too..not to mentio nthe size of his glove.

Dwayne Roloson wore huge equipment as well. He was give or take 175-180 lbs soaking wet

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Have you ever played goal before? As bulky as these chest protectors look it still hurts sometimes getting hit by 85+ mph shots. I agree that some goalies are trying to cheat but padding is necesaary. I get stingers to the ribs, forearms and around the top of the arm/ shoulders all the time.

Plus bullet proof vests are to stop the bullet from killing you but it doesn't mean it won't still break a rib or hurt

My son plays catcher on a 12u travel team, he's consistanly taking 70 mph baseballs off his chest. We have block down drills in practice that helps him work on this, a jugs machine, at 65 mph bouncing the ball in off the indoor turf from about 40 feet out.

He wears this.

yadier-molina-gear-glove-bat-batting-gloves-cleats.png

I know, pucks weigh more and come at goalies harder but he's 11 and doesn't whine about it. He consistently shows off battle bruises but says, that's why only a few are tough enough to play catcher. BTW, he's 11.

Major league baseball players take 100 mph fast balls off the chest all the time, they wear the same gear as my son. Are baseball catchers just tougher?

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
/ thread.

Patrick Roy wore a size XXXL jersey all his career too..not to mentio nthe size of his glove.

Dwayne Roloson wore huge equipment as well. He was give or take 175-180 lbs soaking wet

yet in 92-93 there were 7.3 or so goals per game

roy.jpg

Is the equipment *that* much bigger today, or is it something else that is affecting the scoring?

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
My son plays catcher on a 12u travel team, he's consistanly taking 70 mph baseballs off his chest. We have block down drills in practice that helps him work on this, a jugs machine, at 65 mph bouncing the ball in off the indoor turf from about 40 feet out.

He wears this.

http://www.whatproswear.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/yadier-molina-gear-glove-bat-batting-gloves-cleats.png[IMG]

I know, pucks weigh more and come at goalies harder but he's 11 and doesn't whine about it. He consistently shows off battle bruises but says, that's why only a few are tough enough to play catcher. BTW, he's 11.

Major league baseball players take 100 mph fast balls off the chest all the time, they wear the same gear as my son. Are baseball catchers just tougher?[/QUOTE]

Yep, they're just tougher. Especially your son.:rolleyes: Even in todays gear goalies get stingers/bruises.

Or, they maybe get 3-4 stray balls off the chest per outing as compared to 50+ at multiple angles and distances (sometimes screened) for a goalie? Forget about the increased speed and reduced surface area of a puck.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Yep, they're just tougher. Especially your son.:rolleyes: Even in todays gear goalies get stingers/bruises.

Or, they maybe get 3-4 stray balls off the chest per outing as compared to 50+ at multiple angles and distances (sometimes screened) for a goalie? Forget about the increased speed and reduced surface area of a puck.
So Goalies take 50 shots off the chest? Is that what you're telling me. If so, why the hell do they need 800 feet of leg pads and direct TV dish catchers?

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
So Goalies take 50 shots off the chest? Is that what you're telling me. If so, why the hell do they need 800 feet of leg pads and direct TV dish catchers?

In a practice? Easily.

Between warm up and a game? Again, easily.

Why does your son use a bigger glove than the pitcher or centerfielder? He can't catch the balls with a normal sized glove?

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
In a practice? Easily.

Between warm up and a game? Again, easily.

Why does your son use a bigger glove than the pitcher or centerfielder? He can't catch the balls with a normal sized glove?
Again, in practice catchers take everything off the chest in block down drills.

I understand, hockey pucks are harder but the difference in the pads is not even remotely the same. It's like a tank versus a normal truck...

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton

I understand, hockey pucks are harder but the difference in the pads is not even remotely the same. It's like a tank versus a normal truck...

They're not remotely the same because their purpose isn't remotely the same.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
To protect the chest? Funny because they're both called chest protectors.

If I said one was for primary protection, while the other was for secondary protection, would that help?

Is a helmet a helmet? A mask a mask?

Lets not compare baseball chest protectors to hockey c/a protectors anymore. Its silly and a waste of time.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Why have I been the only one to mention Mike Smith?

Hopefully because he's so irrelevant, that people have forgot he's in the league and that his existence is easy to forget.

He's one of the worst offenders.

ChuckLefley

Jan 5, 2016
yet in 92-93 there were 7.3 or so goals per game

roy.jpg

Is the equipment *that* much bigger today, or is it something else that is affecting the scoring?

First of all his equipment got much bigger
508536-id-508536-patrick-roy-background.jpg

Second of all goalie equipment is much bigger today than back then. It's been proven by pics all over this thread. Slowly they started pushing the limits. Roy would wear a giant jersey, so somebody else would get his shoulders extended to fit in a giant jersey. Someone made his pads a bit longer to cover more of the five hole, then someone went bigger, now we have pads that nearly go up to the waist. Roy was a butterfly goalie and look at how small his pads are in your picture. Someone added a cheater to his glove, then someone made it bigger. The cuff got bigger, the circumference, the blocker, etc. it's obvious it all got bigger.

Are there other influences? Absolutely. We now have teams with five assistant coaches including video coaches. We have pads that make it relatively painless to block shots. Defense first systems. A style of play that involves dropping down at the thought of a shot and covering the lower half of the net. All of that contributes, but you would see gpg go up if you put goalies in pads the size of that picture you posted or from any pic from that year or earlier.

wgknestrick

Aug 14, 2012

I hate the excuse that goalies take all the time, but pucks absolutely hit with much less surface area (ie higher contact pressure) than a baseball. Baseballs hit with a "full moon" contact area, while pucks almost always show a "crescent moon" contact shape.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad