Worst goalie during the playoff streak?

crashman

I think Manny runs away with this one. That dude completely crumbled under pressure.

RedWingsNow*

Legace.
For awhile, it was Osgood. Probably my least favorite Red Wing,
But he cleaned up his act and played well his second time here.

RedWingsNow*

Cujo was hurt is first year here and had a pretty bad series when the Ducks swept us, despite good numbers.
But IMO, Cujo was unbelievably good his second time around, which is pretty incredible when you consider the BS the Red Wings put him through.
Cujo had like a 1.40 goals against and a .940 save percentage or something, but the Wings offense was terrible. They had a dozen players 33 or older, and looked slow and disinterested. And Robert Lang? He was no Sergei Fedorov.

The credibility of the Red Wings as a "classy organization" was stretched by the way they handled Cujo.

yave1964

22 and counting
Mar 22, 2013
Lexington ohio
IMHO Essensa was the worst of the worst that I ever saw wearing the winged wheel in 40 plus years watching nearly every Wings game. IMHO the decision to deal for this choke artist sat us back a couple of years. I know he is not on the list but he deserves to be on any worst goalie list. He made Larry Lozinski and Ron Low look like Vezina candidates.

Lugaid

Hajlajtreelmål!
May 28, 2008
Stockholm
Has to be Legace for me. Cujo was very poor as well, but Legace just wasn't as good as the players in front of him.

RedWingsForPresident

Nov 20, 2012
Indiana
How many shots against did he get in the games...20...25? And from which angles and distance................................ :laugh:

In 18 games started he went 14-4, .930 SVV and 1.55 GAA. He had an average of 22.5 shots a game. 20-25 shots is the norm I'd say in a given game.

We weren't winning the Cup with Hasek in net that playoffs, that's for sure

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
This isn't even remotely close in my mind. It's Legace in a runaway. Cheveldae was bad, but nothing like Legace, not in terms of performance nor crumbling under pressure. Legace was essentially kicked off the team by his own teammates.

crashman

I only remember Cheveldae from the NHL videogames. So yeah, worst goalie ever, I could always score on him with a wraparound. Every. Single. Time.

Still sticking with Manny.

Johnz96*

Essensa.
He single-handidly lost that 94 playoff series to the Sharks. It was like boys against men out there except the men had a boy in net and the boys had a man in net.
It has to be the worst playoff performance by a NHL goalie I have ever seen.
Osgood is one of the best playoff goalies ever. He had to be a lot better in 08 (without Vladdy) than Vernon (with Vladdy) was the year after Vernon won the Conn Smythe (the Wings just steamrolled everyone that year)

Last edited by a moderator:

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
Essensa.
He single-handidly lost that 94 playoff series to the Sharks. It was like boys against men out there except the men had a boy in net and the boys had a man in net.
Osgood is one of the best playoff goalies ever. He had to be a lot better in 08 (without Vladdy) than Vernon (with Vladdy) was the year after Vernon won the Conn Smythe (the Wings just steamrolled everyone that year)

I don't remember '94 really, was Essensa benched eventually paving the way for Osgood? Because I know Osgood was in net for the series clinching goal.

Johnz96*

I don't remember '94 really, was Essensa benched eventually paving the way for Osgood? Because I know Osgood was in net for the series clinching goal.

Essensa was their big acquisition that year, he was supposed to finally give us a goalie that we could compete in the playoffs with and Osgood was a rookie.
He was benched after the first game of the series after a terrible game. Osgood came in won the next 2 and then he screwed up playing the puck in the 4th for the Shark's GWG and Essensa got the start in the 6th and stunk up the joint. The GWG goal in that came was a weak slap shot glove side from the point by a rookie Czech defenseman (name escapes me now), that would have been an easy save for any peewee goalie.

RedWingsNow*

Essensa.

Ozzie is not one of the best playoff goalies ever.

Not sure if you were around to actually watch the 90s, John, but Ozzie's rep was a good regular season goalie who wasn't very good in the playoffs.

And it was a well earned rep.

RedWingsNow*

Essensa was their big acquisition that year, he was supposed to finally give us a goalie that we could compete in the playoffs with and Osgood was a rookie.
He was benched after the first game of the series after a terrible game. Osgood came in won the next 2 and then he screwed up playing the puck in the 4th for the Shark's GWG and Essensa got the start in the 6th and stunk up the joint. The GWG goal in that came was a weak slap shot glove side from the point by a rookie Czech defenseman (name escapes me now), that would have been an easy save for any peewee goalie.

Dude... are you going from memory? Or a very inaccurate history book?

Brick Top

LANA!!!!!
Mar 2, 2012
Grand Rapids
I only remember Cheveldae from the NHL videogames. So yeah, worst goalie ever, I could always score on him with a wraparound. Every. Single. Time.

Still sticking with Manny.

:laugh: Come on, you can't really hold video game performances against a goalie, especially from the EA Sports NHL games from the early/mid '90's... the wraparound worked on every goalie every time in a few of those games, and then you had the S-move in the offensive zone to get the goalie moving and shoot against the grain. Again, goal every time.

Not saying that Chevaldae was ever the second coming of Tretiak or anything, but even Trets would have been lit up in those games. And while we're at it, I would have loved to make Mikhailov's head bleed for superfan #13 in the CCCP jersey :naughty:

Voted for Legace. Always liked his mask, not such a big fan of seeing him pick up anything more than spot duty as the backup.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad