Worst goalie during the playoff streak?

RedWingsNow*

joseph will always be unfairly dumped on sadly

It still boggles the mind that the Wings would spend all that money on him and then sign Hasek and send Cujo and all that salary to the AHL --- And then everyone got hurt and Cujo had to play in the playoffs anyway -- and he was awesome.

He was true pro

Cursed Lemon

Registered Bruiser
Nov 10, 2011
Dey-Twah, MI
Ozzie is not one of the best playoff goalies ever.

Not sure if you were around to actually watch the 90s, John, but Ozzie's rep was a good regular season goalie who wasn't very good in the playoffs.

And it was a well earned rep.

That reputation was completely opposite in the 2000s.

Brick Top

LANA!!!!!
Mar 2, 2012
Grand Rapids
That was the joke.

Got the joke, hence the :laugh:... give me a little more credit than that!

I assumed from your post that you were talking about NHL 93/NHL 94/NHL 95 era games... read online that EA is including an NHL 94 mode in the new NHL 14 coming out this fall, and I may have to pick that up.

Don't think they can include the retired players due to licensing issues, though- kinda sucks as I'd love to tear it up as Roenick for the Hawks (pretty much the "Tecmo Bowl Bo Jackson" of hockey games).

Johnz96*

Ozzie is not one of the best playoff goalies ever.

Not sure if you were around to actually watch the 90s, John, but Ozzie's rep was a good regular season goalie who wasn't very good in the playoffs.

And it was a well earned rep.

No it wasn't his playoff stats in the 90s were even better than his regular season stats and he won a Cup.
I was around in the 90s and I never heard of that rep at all.

Crymson

Fire Holland
May 23, 2010
I am not old enough to have experienced Cheveldae, so I skipped over him. Of the rest, Legace is the only one of those who was undeniably responsible for his team losing in the playoffs.

I honestly think it's Jimmy Howard if you take cheveldae off the poll

I honestly think that your sentiment has no logical basis whatsoever.

Cujo was hurt is first year here and had a pretty bad series when the Ducks swept us, despite good numbers.
But IMO, Cujo was unbelievably good his second time around, which is pretty incredible when you consider the BS the Red Wings put him through.
Cujo had like a 1.40 goals against and a .940 save percentage or something, but the Wings offense was terrible. They had a dozen players 33 or older, and looked slow and disinterested. And Robert Lang? He was no Sergei Fedorov.

Dave Lewis was the driving force behind those two losses. Mike Babcock in the coach's chair would likely have meant three straight Cups. Recommending Lewis as head coach was one of Bowman's more boneheaded moves.

As a point of information, Lang was, despite playing on a very unimpressive Capitals team, leading the league in points when he was acquired.

Last edited:

Sadekuuro

Aug 23, 2005
Cascadia
I have plenty of other memories of Essensa playing well elsewhere (better than I can ever remember Chevy playing, that's for sure), but he was legitimately awful in that San Jose series.

2.08 .917
1.39 .939

Definitely deserves to have 6 votes.

Because goaltending stats always tell the whole story.

RedWingsNow is correct. Cujo blew it in that Anaheim series, even though his numbers look fine. When you're the highest paid goalie in the NHL, playing in a low-scoring series, and the guy on the other end of the rink (making 1/10 your salary) is stealing the show, you simply cannot give up goals like the one that won Game 2.

He was, however, excellent in 2004.

Crymson

Fire Holland
May 23, 2010
Because goaltending stats always tell the whole story.

RedWingsNow is correct. Cujo blew it in that Anaheim series, even though his numbers look fine. When you're the highest paid goalie in the NHL, playing in a low-scoring series, and the guy on the other end of the rink (making 1/10 your salary) is stealing the show, you simply cannot give up goals like the one that won Game 2.

He was, however, excellent in 2004.

When your team scores a total of six goals in four games, you're almost guaranteed a loss anyway. Had the Wings scored one, or even *gasp* two goals more per game, they'd have won that series.

crashman

Got the joke, hence the :laugh:... give me a little more credit than that!

I assumed from your post that you were talking about NHL 93/NHL 94/NHL 95 era games... read online that EA is including an NHL 94 mode in the new NHL 14 coming out this fall, and I may have to pick that up.

Don't think they can include the retired players due to licensing issues, though- kinda sucks as I'd love to tear it up as Roenick for the Hawks (pretty much the "Tecmo Bowl Bo Jackson" of hockey games).

Sorry. ;)

I think I had NHLPA 93 for Genesis and it was one of my favorite games growing up. It's a little pathetic, but that and the Mighty Ducks movie are 2 of the reasons I got interested in hockey as a kid.

I actually thought Cheveldae's name was "Chevrolet". I was a dumb kid.

You don't even wanna know how I pronounced Keith Primeau's name.

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
Some people really voted for Ozzy? 2008 and 2009 alone should keep him off this list. If if you don't like him how could you won't him of Legace?

I'm too young to remember Cheveldae so it's easily Legace for me.

guinness

Not Ingrid for now
Mar 11, 2002
Missoula, Montana
www.missoulian.com
My vote is Chevy, although I guess I've blanked out how bad Manny was.

Surprised Ranford isn't an option, IIRC he was in net in 1999 against Colorado. (I mean if Essensa is getting listed, they both blew through town).

RedWingsNow*

No it wasn't his playoff stats in the 90s were even better than his regular season stats and he won a Cup.
I was around in the 90s and I never heard of that rep at all.

Stats don't matter.
What matters is 40 shots to 22 shots and a 2-1 loss.
And that's a big reason why Ozzie was kicked to the curb by Bowman and Holland and the Wings couldn't even trade him.

RedWingsNow*

When your team scores a total of six goals in four games, you're almost guaranteed a loss anyway. Had the Wings scored one, or even *gasp* two goals more per game, they'd have won that series.

The only way the Wings were winning that series was 2-1 or 1-0.
Wings took a bunch of perimeter shots and so did the Ducks.

The Ducks scored on theirs.

It was a frustrating series -- and really the end of Wings 1.0

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I've always wondered how we'd view Vernon if not for his one dazzling playoff performance.

Crymson

Fire Holland
May 23, 2010
My vote is Chevy, although I guess I've blanked out how bad Manny was.

Surprised Ranford isn't an option, IIRC he was in net in 1999 against Colorado. (I mean if Essensa is getting listed, they both blew through town).

He let in one goal over two games before beginning to play poorly. Anyway, he was never meant to be the #1 goalie.

RedWingsNow*

I've always wondered how we'd view Vernon if not for his one dazzling playoff performance.

I view Vernon as a combative son of a ***** who had no business being as good as he was.
And he got us to the finals against Jersey and won us a Cup.
He went to SJ and had a great series against Colorado but lost.

He seemed to love playing against Patrick Roy.

Vernon beat Roy in 1989 and 1997 en route to both cups.

He was unpopular in Detroit for two reasons, I think. 1) Detroiters liked Osgood 2) Vernon was a cocky *****.

I think Vernon must be among the most successful playoff goalies of all time

Austin Wings Fan

Mar 9, 2010
The only way the Wings were winning that series was 2-1 or 1-0.
Wings took a bunch of perimeter shots and so did the Ducks.

The Ducks scored on theirs.

It was a frustrating series -- and really the end of Wings 1.0

IMO, Joseph cost the Wings 1 game in the 2003 WCQF--Game 2. The Wings were up 2-1 in the third period with about 7 minutes to go, when Joseph got beat by a Jason Krog wrist shot along the half boards to tie the game. Steve Thomas took a slap shot along the ice above the dots for the game winner with like, 1 minute left. Both shots should have been stopped. Cujo needed to make those saves to preserve a 2-1 win and even the series, and failed. He is to blame for Game 2. Otherwise, I don't remember having any complaints about him in that series.

As you have recalled, he was SPECTACULAR in the 2004 playoffs. The guy had every right to be pissed with the Hasek situation, and then right when Dom got injured and the net was back to being his, he gets injured. Legace played so well down the stretch he got the start in the playoffs.

Much like Ozzie in 2008, Cujo saved our bacon when he was inserted in Game 4 vs. the Preds. I think he shut them out in Game 5 and 6.

He was AMAZING vs Calgary, especially the last three games of that series. Its not his fault the Wings lost two consecutive 1-0 contests in Games 5 and 6. Cujo should not have any votes in this contest.

Austin Wings Fan

Mar 9, 2010
Re: Legace

The guy deserves every bit of scorn he receives for imploding in the playoff series vs. Edmonton, but it seems we are all blinded to the fact that he was a very competent goalie in the regular season, at the very worst an elite backup.

2000-2001: 24-5-5, .920 SV% 2.05 GAA
2001-2002: 10-6-2, .911 SV% 2.42 GAA
2002-2003: 14-5-4 .925 SV% 2.18 GAA
2003-2004: 23-10-5 .920 SV% 2.12 GAA
2005-2006: 37-8 .915 SV % 2.19 GAA

The Wings were obviously a great team, so these numbers were inflated. But I remember thinking he was better than Osgood in 2000-2001, a top notch backup behind Hasek and Joseph in 2002 and 2003, and he was clearly invaluable in 2003-2004 when both Hasek and Joseph were hurt. IMO, awfully tough to say that he was the "worst" goalie we had during our playoff streak with these numbers unless you put all of your stock in that 1 playoff series.

2006 vs. EDM:

2-4 865 SV% 2.65 GAA

Yes, I remember. It was brutal. From the back breaking wrap-arounds to the fact that seemingly every single Chris Pronger point shop was tipped by him. He said he wanted to hang himself, or something to that effect. Oh yeah, and this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfKMhZR-4vM

Pathetic. Still, I think Ranford was worse if all you need is 1 bad series.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad