Worst D core to win a cup

ranold26

Tuukka likes the post...
May 28, 2003
Nashville was so bad offensively, that Pittsburgh's pathetic D got it done.
As a D oriented fan, one of the worst, if not worst, finals of all time.

hagelin1381

Mar 27, 2016
Orlando, FL
yeah, probably. I'm pretty sure Schultz was the only righty they dressed for the majority of the playoffs. They played well as a committee, a bend, dont break mentality

maxmn

Feb 16, 2013
This pathetic D just had two shutouts...and lifting their second consecutive cup. The vaunted D of Nashville is crying in their pile of dead fish.

deathtouchtrample

May 5, 2014
Saw on Twitter this is the first year none of the defensemen to dress for a cup winner in the final have never had a single norris vote between them.

Last edited:

useless

Feb 2, 2011
Nashville was so bad offensively, that Pittsburgh's pathetic D got it done.
As a D oriented fan, one of the worst, if not worst, finals of all time.

With this solid logic the caps and bluejackets have pathetic offence?

Aaaaaaaaaaaaa

May 16, 2009
I am going to say it was probably on paper the worst D core to ever win a Cup, but they played about ten levels above their pay grades, especially Hainsey. I never saw that coming, tbh.

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
Pathetic D with back to back Cups.

They're a solid core, much better with Letang in it but even without, there is no one that stands out but no one is that bad

Viletho

Jan 20, 2015
Hockey isn't played on paper. That's all. And defence is played by 5 guys.

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
Just goes to show you don't need a #1 dman to win. Meanwhile they had to compete against some of the league's top defence rosters in the NHL (Washington, Nashville).

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
IMO this is indicative of the scoring problem the game has. It's too hard to score goals in the league right now. That gives teams that get outplayed every opportunity to catch a lucky bounce.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
IMO this is indicative of the scoring problem the game has. It's too hard to score goals in the league right now. That gives teams that get outplayed every opportunity to catch a lucky bounce.

I think this is accurate.

Even more than luck, goalitending is too much of a factor in today's NHL.

Pittsburgh won because Murray was in a different universe from Rinne.

TheStatican

Mar 14, 2012
Saw on Twitter this is the first year none of the defensemen to dress in for a cup winner in the final have never had a single norris vote between them.

I can see Schultz getting a 5th places votes this year, just look at the list of D that got one last year> http://www.hockey-reference.com/awards/voting-2016.html#all-norris-stats

This pathetic D just had two shutouts...and lifting their second consecutive cup. The vaunted D of Nashville is crying in their pile of dead fish.

:laugh: :handclap: Can someone tell me again why was that even a thing?

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Every year.. people keep talking about how bad our defense is. Just keep talking about it.

Oh don't worry we will be...

When you guys miss the playoffs next season by one point only to win the draft lottery for Dahlin because you know, you sold your soul to the devil. There will be a billion threads about it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad