Worst Avs defenseman over the last 5 seasons?

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
I'm assuming we're going to ignore the 3- and 4-game guys like Shawn Belle in this poll, and just go with guys who played at least a few dozen games.

As far as the players on the list go, Guenin/Zanon were pretty bad. So was O'Brien.

But Stefan Elliott played 63 games with Colorado, and he was pretty lousy also.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
He was good both defensively and offensively before he started to get injured big time IMO.

I know many disagree with me, but I thought Ryan was heavily over-rated on here before the injuries because people forgave him his defensive ****-ups due to the huge hits he laid every once in a while and not being a disaster on the puck. He was a good option for the third pairing, but he was never a good dman.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
2j47wxg.gif

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
I feel like this list should include everyone who has played defense for the Avs over the last five years

(is that horrible to say?)

maybe exclude EJ, Hejda, and Shattenkirk

Flanagan

Registered Loser
Jul 10, 2011
St. John's
Is this for the worst regularly playing defenseman?

Because I haven't seen much mention of Cameron Gaunce, Jonas Holos, Kyle Cumiskey, or Karl Stollery.

Cory Sarich wasn't great either, but far from the worst.

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
Is this for the worst regularly playing defenseman?

Because I haven't seen much mention of Cameron Gaunce, Jonas Holos, Kyle Cumiskey, or Karl Stollery.

Cory Sarich wasn't great either, but far from the worst.

He did a fine bottom pairing job IMO. A so called defensive defenseman that was actually fine defensively. Rare on our team.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
Tom Preissing
Scott Hannan (not bad but remember when he was our "big" UFA acquisition)
Jordan Leopold
Brett "ShotBlock" Clark

Nzap

lunaR Pad
Jul 19, 2011
Parma
Yeah Preissing was terrible, but he played in like 2 games, so is it really fair to name him?
You could name lots of those names like Wes O'Neill, Derek Peltier and Shawn Belle as well.

Holy hell, Ray Macias even played for us. When did that happen?
Wes O'Neill I remember vividly, cause the Altitude fellas were really talking him up in the broadcast as I began watching seriously these live games in 09-10 season. After that brief stint O'Neill was never to be heard of again and retired a few years later from hockey.

Zanon for me though. Man that guy couldn't play hockey at all.
The only thing he could do was to stand in the way. Both in the way of pucks and Avalanche success.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad