U17: World Under-17 Hockey Challenge, Medicine Hat & Swift Current, 2-9 November

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
An empty net with 7 minutes left.. that is rare. Good for the US! I admire the bold move.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Russia... 5-1... how awesome is that? I have nothing against any country in the Top 5 but congrats to the Russians...

Top 3 will be:

1. Russia
2. US
3. Czechs

It's 1974.lol

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Well, this Russian team, it seems, doesn't have any special prospects, and it's still destroyed US team on the small ice and with all its chemistry (as far as I understand, they all play on the same USNTDP team). Weird.

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
Off the top of my head, I believe that USNTDP U17/U18 teams are 1 and 5 all time versus Russian teams in gold medal games. The Russians just own these NTDP teams in those circumstances, which is a bit embarrassing for the program given the chemistry advantage they should have.

czechgame

Mar 16, 2019
Rysavy has been the most pleasant surprise on this Czech team, however to say he has the biggest potential in that forward group is a stretch.

I hope the Bronze game will uploaded somewhere later, but I am not holding my breath.

I’m not saying this because of his performance at this tournament.. He’s not a guy who always puts up lot of points, but he’s really good power forward to me. This forward group is not so strong and right now Rysavy is one of a few (Mensik..) with a potential to get drafted.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
I thought it would be a close game but was expecting the U.S to win this one, Russia smokes them instead, didn't see that coming.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Off the top of my head, I believe that USNTDP U17/U18 teams are 1 and 5 all time versus Russian teams in gold medal games. The Russians just own these NTDP teams in those circumstances, which is a bit embarrassing for the program given the chemistry advantage they should have.

Goaltending. Russia had 15 less shots in this game, didn’t even hit 20 shots and won by four goals. Russia seems to play this style of hockey very well. They concede possession, play good team defense, capitalize on good goaltending, and then score on a few odd man chances.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
Goaltending. Russia had 15 less shots in this game, didn’t even hit 20 shots and won by four goals. Russia seems to play this style of hockey very well. They concede possession, play good team defense, capitalize on good goaltending, and then score on a few odd man chances.

I've only seen the highlights, but give them credit! There were some pretty nifty goals there for a team that just relies on goaltending.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I've only seen the highlights, but give them credit! There were some pretty nifty goals there for a team that just relies on goaltending.

I am. They are always well coached and there is always buy in to the system. I think that they have more talent to play a better system, but they get results with ugly hockey, so who am I to say it’s not the right system for them to play?

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
I am. They are always well coached and there is always buy in to the system. I think that they have more talent to play a better system, but they get results with ugly hockey, so who am I to say it’s not the right system for them to play?

I think you have the teams confused. The USA is the team that uses a highly synchronized national team format. Russia has no system or national team. They have a thrown together team, just like Canada and others. Except for tournaments, these kids play with their VHL or MHL teams all season long. I am surprised that, with all the thousands of registered hockey players in the United States, there aren't better goaltenders for these tournaments, but that is a flaw in the system that the US hockey federation should look into. Given the fact that the Russians were given little chance to win this game, whether they played with style or not, I'm sure they'll take the win over
the USA

OldScool

Nov 27, 2007

See Askarov and his success. Russia plays great defense and style for goalies to be successful.

Last edited:

OldScool

Nov 27, 2007
I think you have the teams confused. The USA is the team that uses a highly synchronized national team format. Russia has no system or national team. They have a thrown together team, just like Canada and others. Except for tournaments, these kids play with their VHL or MHL teams all season long. I am surprised that, with all the thousands of registered hockey players in the United States, there aren't better goaltenders for these tournaments, but that is a flaw in the system that the US hockey federation should look into. Given the fact that the Russians were given little chance to win this game, whether they played with style or not, I'm sure they'll take the win over
the USA

Not sure what planet you are coming from but Russia is always loaded. One could make a case they are ahead of Canada and US now for hockey development. Russia absolutely has a system that they run - where they are defensively conservative and grind out teams. They win 2-1. USA has a run and gun wide opent style and try to beat teams 7-6. They have Dman joining the rush, taking chances...both are effective styles but are vastly different.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
Not sure what planet you are coming from but Russia is always loaded. One could make a case they are ahead of Canada and US now for hockey development. Russia absolutely has a system that they run - where they are defensively conservative and grind out teams. They win 2-1. USA has a run and gun wide opent style and try to beat teams 7-6. They have Dman joining the rush, taking chances...both are effective styles but are vastly different.

Earth is my planet of origin.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad