U17: World Under-17 Hockey Challenge, Medicine Hat & Swift Current, 2-9 November

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
This tournament is not very important from a win-lose standpoint. It's just a good opportunity for players to showcase themselves for future events, sending three teams is a luxury. I'd like to see two Swedish teams even though neither of them would have a chance to go all the way.

canuck2010

Dec 21, 2010
It is a luxury to have the three teams. It gives opportunity for younger players to develop and experience a number of different situations and roles. The idea is that they become better overall players.

Reactions: Czechboy

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
I think it is better for this whole tournament if Canada can have only one team like rest of us. Add Switzerland and Slovakia/Germany.
It's a tough call... I like the format because most the games are close. Obviously, the weaker Czechs got blown out a few times but if you replace 2 Canada's with the Swiss and German/Slovak teams and add a supernova Canada team... you will see some crazy scores. On the other hand, it'd be better for Swiss/German/Slovak hockey. To be honest, I'm happy the Czechs still get an invite! Draft exposure is important too for the smaller nations.

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
Hockey Canada barely even prioritizes winning tournaments on the professional senior mens level, so where do you think a tournament of 16 year olds ranks in Hockey Canada's must win list? pretty god damn low.

and while I have a lot to criticize Hockey Canada over, introducing 66 16 year olds to their first international hockey experience isn't one of them.

ASPIFC

Jun 20, 2019
Least they should give second team for USA then. Our non NTDP team could do really well too.

Breakfast of Champs

Apr 15, 2007
Hockey Canada barely even prioritizes winning tournaments on the professional senior mens level, so where do you think a tournament of 16 year olds ranks in Hockey Canada's must win list? pretty god damn low.

and while I have a lot to criticize Hockey Canada over, introducing 66 16 year olds to their first international hockey experience isn't one of them.

One thing I wish they at least did when then changed the format was make it 3 regional teams. Ontario can keep their team, Pacific and West combine and Quebec combines with Atlantic. That way we have 3 regional teams (W region O region and Q region essentially) and the players are at least somewhat more familiar with each other, rather than throw 3 random teams together.

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
This tournament is not very important from a win-lose standpoint. It's just a good opportunity for players to showcase themselves for future events, sending three teams is a luxury. I'd like to see two Swedish teams even though neither of them would have a chance to go all the way.

Exactly. Canada uses this tournament to look at players for future events (U18 and U20).

Of course USA looks really good. They have been playing together for 2 months.

I think the tournament is good as it is. It's not like USA has won every year. They had only won one medal in 4 years before 2019.

Golds since 2010...

USA 2010, 2014, 2017
Russia 2012, 2014, 2018
Canada 2011, 2015
Sweden 2013, 2016

I thought goaltending was sometimes a problem for Canada this year. As an example, they took three out of QMJHL territory but two of them are actually playing Midget AAA against kids aged 14-16. They didn't take the one who's actually playing in the QMJHL and who might have been better against tougher competition.

Same thing goes for the U20 game against Russia. Hockey Canada took Gravel because they know him but there are multiple goaltenders who are doing better than him.

Last edited:
Reactions: jalperi

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
One thing I wish they at least did when then changed the format was make it 3 regional teams. Ontario can keep their team, Pacific and West combine and Quebec combines with Atlantic. That way we have 3 regional teams (W region O region and Q region essentially) and the players are at least somewhat more familiar with each other, rather than throw 3 random teams together.

nah, regional teams do not interest me much. If I were the one making the decisions I would first select what I would consider the A team. i.e. Wright and Savoie on 1 team (as difficult as it is to project what 16 year olds will be in 3 years for the U20s) and then let the 2 coaching staffs of the other 2 teams divvy up what's left.

I'd rather give the best 22 every opportunity to play/practice with one another as early as possible on ever level as they march their way to the NHL draft and the World Juniors. then maybe we won't be wasting so much freaking time at the U20 December camp wondering if player X can develop some kind of chemistry with player Y.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Just tuning in... 1-1... now Canada has a powerplay.lol I'm cursed!

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Savoi is excellent.

I know I keep saying this but Czech's don't look completely overwhelmed as I'd expect. Obviously Canada is better (all 3) but are, at least, competitive.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
2-1 Czechs... Wonder if Canada scores in final minute for the five millionth time in history. Even period. I'd say the officiating has been poor. Good flow... Nice game to watch

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Cue the classic Canada comeback... they are all over us and going to powerplay.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Called it.. and it was Savoe who I've been praising.lol Czechs were blocking everything so of course it went in of a Czech. At least it wasn't the final minute.lol

Reactions: snipes

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
3 on 3 definitely favors Canada.. much deeper talent pool... curious how the Czechs deal with the adversity. Obviously, Canada dealt with their adversity really well!

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
WOW!!! We did it! I can't think of many teams that get smoked 10-1 and win medal 8 days later. Good for them to improve every game.

Savoe was the best player on the ice... unreal.

I'd say the win means a lot more to the Czechs than Canada so happy for them. Hopefully a few guys get drafted. Svozil does look like a potential first round Dman. I'd say the goalie did really well and established himself as well.

Had to look as the 2017 won a Bronze:

Rosters

Pytlik is currently slated to be a first rounder... rest, not so sure.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Oh, and good luck to Russia... the States look to be a massive favorite and I'd be surprised if they lost.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Svozil was great, Tichacek played good game too...
Rysavy, who scored the game winner, is the forward with biggest potential right now. Altrichter is skilled, but he needs to be stronger.

I'm going to U18 this year in Detroit... Hoping I see a few of these guys. I'd say svozil has to be a lock

Reactions: Wooren

Wooren

no longer perennial 4th place losers
May 17, 2015
Prague
Svozil was great, Tichacek played good game too...
Rysavy, who scored the game winner, is the forward with biggest potential right now. Altrichter is skilled, but he needs to be stronger.

Rysavy has been the most pleasant surprise on this Czech team, however to say he has the biggest potential in that forward group is a stretch.

I hope the Bronze game will uploaded somewhere later, but I am not holding my breath.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Rysavy has been the most pleasant surprise on this Czech team, however to say he has the biggest potential in that forward group is a stretch.

I hope the Bronze game will uploaded somewhere later, but I am not holding my breath.
Now that it's over... I'd say it was a very even game that could've gone either way. Savoe was amazing. Everyone else was on equal ground. Reffing was below average both ways.

From a Czech perspective... Sweden destroys us and we beat them in quarters. This Canada beat us by a good margin and we win medal game. Also, 6 games in 7 days and they fought hard.

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
Pretty embarrassing to not even win a medal nevermind competing for gold which has always been the standard. Canada isn't always competitive in this tournament, but maybe it is time to check in the mirror. They should assemble this team 3 weeks earlier and practice real games to build chemistry. They can play games against CHL/Junior A games or each other for similar competition.

Hockey Canada needs to make a better effort to their fans who show up to the games every year (hosted in Canada) just to see Canada walk away without a medal 2 years in a row.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Pretty embarrassing to not even win a medal nevermind competing for gold which has always been the standard. Canada isn't always competitive in this tournament, but maybe it is time to check in the mirror. They should assemble this team 3 weeks earlier and practice real games to build chemistry. They can play games against CHL/Junior A games or each other for similar competition.

Hockey Canada needs to make a better effort to their fans who show up to the games every year (hosted in Canada) just to see Canada walk away without a medal 2 years in a row.

From a development point of veiw having 3 teams >>> having 1 team, and development is the most important thing at this age level.

Reactions: Czechboy

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018

In fairness... the next age group is U18... Canada assemlbes the best of the best and goes to the Hlinka... usually, they absolutely destroy it.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Holy Shit!.. Just tuned in.. Russia is up 3-0. As I've aged... I absolutely love the Russian swagger.. I know this sounds insane as a Canadian who is born in the Czech Republic but, honestly, Russians are constantly up to the challenge. This tournament is taylor made for the States to win.. now we're up 3-0 for Russia.

Also, the next major goalie factory is Russia. I've read this has to do with Finnish coaches coming to Russia... not sure if I can confirm this.

Reactions: Garyboy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad