U17: World Under-17 Hockey Challenge, Medicine Hat & Swift Current, 2-9 November

Discussion in 'International Tournaments' started by Hockeyfrilla, Oct 9, 2019.

1. VictorLustig

VictorLustig Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    This tournament is not very important from a win-lose standpoint. It's just a good opportunity for players to showcase themselves for future events, sending three teams is a luxury. I'd like to see two Swedish teams even though neither of them would have a chance to go all the way.

2. canuck2010

canuck2010 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    It is a luxury to have the three teams. It gives opportunity for younger players to develop and experience a number of different situations and roles. The idea is that they become better overall players.

Czechboy likes this.
  3. Czechboy

Czechboy Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    It's a tough call... I like the format because most the games are close. Obviously, the weaker Czechs got blown out a few times but if you replace 2 Canada's with the Swiss and German/Slovak teams and add a supernova Canada team... you will see some crazy scores. On the other hand, it'd be better for Swiss/German/Slovak hockey. To be honest, I'm happy the Czechs still get an invite! Draft exposure is important too for the smaller nations.

4. Gold Standard

Gold Standard Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    Hockey Canada barely even prioritizes winning tournaments on the professional senior mens level, so where do you think a tournament of 16 year olds ranks in Hockey Canada's must win list? pretty god damn low.

and while I have a lot to criticize Hockey Canada over, introducing 66 16 year olds to their first international hockey experience isn't one of them.

5. ASPIFC

ASPIFC Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    Least they should give second team for USA then. Our non NTDP team could do really well too.

6. Breakfast of Champs

Breakfast of Champs Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    Student

One thing I wish they at least did when then changed the format was make it 3 regional teams. Ontario can keep their team, Pacific and West combine and Quebec combines with Atlantic. That way we have 3 regional teams (W region O region and Q region essentially) and the players are at least somewhat more familiar with each other, rather than throw 3 random teams together.

7. SergeConstantin74

SergeConstantin74 Always right.

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    Exactly. Canada uses this tournament to look at players for future events (U18 and U20).

Of course USA looks really good. They have been playing together for 2 months.

I think the tournament is good as it is. It's not like USA has won every year. They had only won one medal in 4 years before 2019.

Golds since 2010...

USA 2010, 2014, 2017
    Russia 2012, 2014, 2018
    Canada 2011, 2015
    Sweden 2013, 2016

I thought goaltending was sometimes a problem for Canada this year. As an example, they took three out of QMJHL territory but two of them are actually playing Midget AAA against kids aged 14-16. They didn't take the one who's actually playing in the QMJHL and who might have been better against tougher competition.

Same thing goes for the U20 game against Russia. Hockey Canada took Gravel because they know him but there are multiple goaltenders who are doing better than him.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2019
    jalperi likes this.
  8. Gold Standard

Gold Standard Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    nah, regional teams do not interest me much. If I were the one making the decisions I would first select what I would consider the A team. i.e. Wright and Savoie on 1 team (as difficult as it is to project what 16 year olds will be in 3 years for the U20s) and then let the 2 coaching staffs of the other 2 teams divvy up what's left.

I'd rather give the best 22 every opportunity to play/practice with one another as early as possible on ever level as they march their way to the NHL draft and the World Juniors. then maybe we won't be wasting so much freaking time at the U20 December camp wondering if player X can develop some kind of chemistry with player Y.

9. czechgame

czechgame Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000

10. Czechboy

Czechboy Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    Just tuning in... 1-1... now Canada has a powerplay.lol I'm cursed!

11. Czechboy

Czechboy Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    Savoi is excellent.

I know I keep saying this but Czech's don't look completely overwhelmed as I'd expect. Obviously Canada is better (all 3) but are, at least, competitive.

12. Czechboy

Czechboy Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    2-1 Czechs... Wonder if Canada scores in final minute for the five millionth time in history. Even period. I'd say the officiating has been poor. Good flow... Nice game to watch

13. Czechboy

Czechboy Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    Cue the classic Canada comeback... they are all over us and going to powerplay.

14. Czechboy

Czechboy Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    Called it.. and it was Savoe who I've been praising.lol Czechs were blocking everything so of course it went in of a Czech. At least it wasn't the final minute.lol

snipes likes this.
  15. Czechboy

Czechboy Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    3 on 3 definitely favors Canada.. much deeper talent pool... curious how the Czechs deal with the adversity. Obviously, Canada dealt with their adversity really well!

16. Czechboy

Czechboy Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    WOW!!! We did it! I can't think of many teams that get smoked 10-1 and win medal 8 days later. Good for them to improve every game.

Savoe was the best player on the ice... unreal.

I'd say the win means a lot more to the Czechs than Canada so happy for them. Hopefully a few guys get drafted. Svozil does look like a potential first round Dman. I'd say the goalie did really well and established himself as well.

Had to look as the 2017 won a Bronze:

Rosters

Pytlik is currently slated to be a first rounder... rest, not so sure.

Garyboy and czechcanadian like this.
  17. Czechboy

Czechboy Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    Oh, and good luck to Russia... the States look to be a massive favorite and I'd be surprised if they lost.

18. czechgame

czechgame Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    Svozil was great, Tichacek played good game too...
    Rysavy, who scored the game winner, is the forward with biggest potential right now. Altrichter is skilled, but he needs to be stronger.

Garyboy, czechcanadian and Czechboy like this.
  19. Czechboy

Czechboy Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    I'm going to U18 this year in Detroit... Hoping I see a few of these guys. I'd say svozil has to be a lock

Wooren likes this.
  20. Wooren

Wooren #11

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    Rysavy has been the most pleasant surprise on this Czech team, however to say he has the biggest potential in that forward group is a stretch.

I hope the Bronze game will uploaded somewhere later, but I am not holding my breath.

21. Czechboy

Czechboy Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    Now that it's over... I'd say it was a very even game that could've gone either way. Savoe was amazing. Everyone else was on equal ground. Reffing was below average both ways.

From a Czech perspective... Sweden destroys us and we beat them in quarters. This Canada beat us by a good margin and we win medal game. Also, 6 games in 7 days and they fought hard.

22. Get North

Get North Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,199,832
    Pretty embarrassing to not even win a medal nevermind competing for gold which has always been the standard. Canada isn't always competitive in this tournament, but maybe it is time to check in the mirror. They should assemble this team 3 weeks earlier and practice real games to build chemistry. They can play games against CHL/Junior A games or each other for similar competition.

Hockey Canada needs to make a better effort to their fans who show up to the games every year (hosted in Canada) just to see Canada walk away without a medal 2 years in a row.

23. Kshahdoo

Kshahdoo Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    From a development point of veiw having 3 teams >>> having 1 team, and development is the most important thing at this age level.

Czechboy likes this.
  24. Czechboy

Czechboy Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    In fairness... the next age group is U18... Canada assemlbes the best of the best and goes to the Hlinka... usually, they absolutely destroy it.

25. Czechboy

Czechboy Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    Holy ****!.. Just tuned in.. Russia is up 3-0. As I've aged... I absolutely love the Russian swagger.. I know this sounds insane as a Canadian who is born in the Czech Republic but, honestly, Russians are constantly up to the challenge. This tournament is taylor made for the States to win.. now we're up 3-0 for Russia.

Also, the next major goalie factory is Russia. I've read this has to do with Finnish coaches coming to Russia... not sure if I can confirm this.

Garyboy likes this.