Red Sox/MLB WORLD SERIES - Sox lose Game 3 in the 18th inning - Game 4 at 8:09 PM

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Garden

Oct 6, 2018
The home plate umpire was awful as well. His strike zone made no sense. Series question - does his height affect his strike zone? Cody Bellinger is 6'4" and Ted Barrett is a head taller.

Reactions: McGarnagle

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
The loss is on me - I had the final out in my glove

upload_2018-10-27_3-56-42.png

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
Well he had a hit, walk and scored a run off some really heads up base running

Mookie got an intentional walk and went 0 for 7 lmao

That’s just insane man there’s no excusing it
Brock made a play when he needed to in the 13th no doubt. But he's been overmatched every AB.

Pay Carl

punished “venom” krejci
Jun 23, 2011
Vermont
The loss is on me - I had the final out in my glove

View attachment 149993

I mean there’s no excusing that error but again Cora should have walked Puig

That’s not even a hindsight move. It was obvious before and it was obvious after

Force out at second, and much worse hitter at the plate

Awful. Cora was in over his head in this one

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
The home plate umpire was awful as well. His strike zone made no sense. Series question - does his height affect his strike zone? Cody Bellinger is 6'4" and Ted Barrett is a head taller.
It's supposed to.

KZone is from knees to letters on chest. A 5'10 guy will have a different zone than a 6'4 guy.

Certainly didn't feel that way tonight.

The issue was the utter lack of consistency with the inside and outside corners.

Again, and I feel like a broken f***ing record, if you want to call the inside and outside corners, go for it, but call it consistently. Yet again tonight we had an unpire that changed the strikezone inning to inning.

Pay Carl

punished “venom” krejci
Jun 23, 2011
Vermont
Brock made a play when he needed to in the 13th no doubt. But he's been overmatched every AB.

What? No

Jesus

How are you even making this argument?

Being out matched isn’t being patient enough to take a walk

Mookie looked so lost

It’s ok you’re not going to hurt his feelings

Nose Face Killah

Dracarys
Dec 2, 2012
MA
We still have 4 more chances to f***ing win this thing. If our offense actually shows up tomorrow I don’t see LA getting back in this even with our pitching situation

The Garden

Oct 6, 2018
It's supposed to.

KZone is from knees to letters on chest. A 5'10 guy will have a different zone than a 6'4 guy.

I mean the umpire's height. Apparently he's only 6'4" but he looked a lot taller. I guess it's just an illusion.

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
What? No

Jesus

How are you even making this argument?

Being out matched isn’t being patient enough to take a walk

Mookie looked so lost

It’s ok you’re not going to hurt his feelings
I'm not talking about the freaking walk. Good AB, got on base, did his job. I'm talking about pretty much every other AB outside of his cycle game in NY. He's in because he supposedly can hit good fastballs, which he's show no ability to do. Ground out to the left side pretty much Everytime, ie overmatched.

Also not defending Mookie, he's been horrible all postseason. Looks like a totally different player.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
The only way the Red Sox can play this is to accept Game 4 is a freebie - at worst the series is tied 2-2 BUT they have home-field advantage in the last 3 games. Cora went for the jugular tonight and failed - Get everything set for Games 5 and 6.

It is absurd that baseball has different rules for the AL and NL for the past 45 years.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Game 3 was the equivalent of a SCF going 3 overtimes and those of us who stayed awake went through a ringer.

It was a tough loss

The Red Sox played a flawed Game 3 and it completely scrambled this series - The Boston Globe

LOS ANGELES — It seemed so harmless — a grounder up the middle by Yasiel Puig, slightly to the right of Ian Kinsler, the sort of play he’s made hundreds of times in a Gold Glove-caliber defensive career, almost surely the final out of the 13th that would secure a 2-1 Red Sox victory and a commanding 3-0 lead in the best-of-seven World Series. But for Kinsler, the routine quickly turned nightmarish.

His foot gave way on the grass behind the Dodger Stadium infield, a prelude to the uncorking of a wild throw to first that went into the stands, permitting Puig to reach, Max Muncy to score from second, and forcing the game even deeper into the night, a 2-2 deadlock that had been reduced to the exchanged blows of punchdrunk heavyweights.

In a postseason in which the Red Sox had played almost flawlessly, they played a flawed game, one that inevitably will invoke some memories of the team’s last extra-inning game in a World Series — Game 6 of the 1986 title bout with the Mets, in which a Red Sox error one out from victory likewise cost the team a game and ultimately a title.

The consequences for the Red Sox in this scenario are not as dire, at least not yet, for a team that still has a two games-to-one advantage in the World Series. Nonetheless, not only have the Dodgers regained life in the series, but they do so at a time when the Red Sox’ pitching staff has been thrown into chaos by the aggressive, all-in usage of Alex Cora.

The use of Eovaldi — the scheduled Game 4 starter — in the 12th through 18th innings arguably represented the biggest stack of chips Cora has placed this postseason. And in this case, the gambit did not pay off.

The Dodgers — who have come back from a 2-0 World Series deficit three times in their franchise history (1955, 1965, 1981) — now will look to even the series in Game 4 on Saturday, one abbreviated, restless night removed for the Red Sox from a devastating defeat.

Fossy21

Nobel Prize Deke
Mar 14, 2013
Also, of course it had to be that Monkey dude who was both the tying run and then walked it off after getting bailed out on his strikeout.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I mean there’s no excusing that error but again Cora should have walked Puig

That’s not even a hindsight move. It was obvious before and it was obvious after

Force out at second, and much worse hitter at the plate

Awful. Cora was in over his head in this one

If this happened in the regular season it would have been ruled a hit,

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
You go from stealing a win, to literally throwing the game away and you end in a situation where you were better off losing in 9 innings and now face the reality that the series could now quite easily turn in the Dodgers favor. A very tenuous series lead at this point.

I am just now seeing the Kinsler play. Such a horrendous play. Had plenty of time to set his feet and throw a strike. He looked like a guy who has never played the position before. That play will go down with Buckner if they don't win this series.

Reactions: GloryDaze4877

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
f*** Kinsler, and f*** the “heart of the order” for their gigantic 0-lifetime performance last night.

I got a bad feeling that last night turned the tide for LA. Can’t shake the feeling that this series is going to shift back to Boston with the Sox down 3-2

Last edited:
Reactions: Nose Face Killah

alg363636

Boo
Apr 25, 2014
Washington, DC
Woke up in the middle of the 13th to see they were up 2-1 and said oh thank God and went to bed

Woke up at 4am to check the score...what the hell?

Look last night sucked and using Eovaldi was a stupid choice but I think we'll be okay. I think the bats wake up tonight. I also think they are going to need Sale to be ready to jump in if need be. We cant be running to the bullpen in ERod/Pomeranz/whoever are blowing it in the third inning.

Were still the better team and we had the game last night but someone f***ed up and our big guys didn't show up at the plate. Not Coras best game either I'd have let Porcello keep going.

Well be fine. Were gonna win this thing. Dodgers are just as tired as we are.

Let's Go Sox!

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
If Kinsler (2016 American League Gold Glove winner) makes the play, Cora is still pushing all the right buttons.

Instead: why not walk Puig? Why pinch run Kinsler for JD? Why take out Porcello in the 5th (had thrown 61 pitches)? Why use 3 starters in relief?

Now its Hill and Kershaw in games 4 and 5 vs. ?????

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
I think the two choices I didn't like last night were taking Porcello out early and then putting Eovaldi in.

You've got three straight games in an NL ballpark where your bullpen is likely to be heavily used. You need to take advantage of a starter pitching well.

For Eovaldi, when you put him in it was the bottom of the 12th, at that point I think you just need to accept that it was going to be difficult to win, considering you had already taken out or used your best hitters besides Betts and Bogaerts. I would have just thrown Pomeranz out there for as long as possible and see what happens.

They've now put themselves at a disadvantage to win game 4.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad