GDT: World Juniors Thread - The Thread For All World Junior Championship Discussion

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Fair enough but you have to consider his role and the big ice as well which makes chasing on the forecheck a more calculated gamble. And he's 19

Have seen some engagement issues in his game from time to time in the past but this game and most this tourney he has been noticeably involved and stuck in when he's had the chance to win a puck?

He's shown he can move east west, button hook and use his defense. He's adept on his backhand and makes quick reads and quick passes that will bode well in a smaller areas game with quick give and go's. That's not just a "pound the puck" guy?

Do you not think he will play better with better players? He has very good to excellent 4 way speed and quickness.

You said you cleared it up. But you also said he would be a NHL PP guy so i'm still confused as to what you're not convinced about.
I haven't really seen the variation in offense you are describing, at least not at a high-enough frequency. I don't think how he likes to create offense at 5v5 will be that effective in the NHL (1v1 rushes), unless you're really an elite skater and are physically very strong.

My comment on him being a PP guy is not really a compliment and I don't value PP production as much. Yeah, he can hammer pucks in his trigger spot, but that's a pretty limited skillset. Most of his SHL goals are him sniping it on the PP when given a lot of room.

Yup, he's tracking to be a middle six player, not a star. Lots of times these players take a long time to learn the 200ft game, Hoglander is a good example. Pettersson leading the SHL in scoring in his draft + 1 is what a star at this level looks like.

You take an all situations right side defenceman over this type of player 10 times out of 10.

Lekkerimaki should be trade bait if there are teams that are willing to buy high based on this performance.
Bolded is what I was thinking. He is an ideal trade bait piece for a Benning-esque GM out there.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
There’s a large contingent of the fan base that thinks he’s a better prospect than Willander. I think Willander is trending like his worst outcome (2nd pairing with no offence) would be more valuable than Lek’s absolute peak outcome (basically Brock Boeser).
He’s not getting power-play opportunities, of course, he’s not gonna put up points, willander has great offensive instincts, I have been really impressed both ends of the ice.

JT Milker

Mar 24, 2018
He’s not getting power-play opportunities, of course, he’s not gonna put up points, willander has great offensive instincts, I have been really impressed both ends of the ice.
To be clear, I’m extremely high on Willander and think his *floor* is a 2nd pairing guy with no offence. I think he’ll be more like a Chris Tanev or if he really hits, Dan Hamhuis.

nucksflailtogether

Oct 15, 2017
I read somewhere that Brock Faber never got PP opportunities before this year and now he's running Minny's #1 unit.
Even if he becomes Adam Larsson or Chris Tanev I'm cool with that, but more is possible.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
I haven't really seen the variation in offense you are describing, at least not at a high-enough frequency. I don't think how he likes to create offense at 5v5 will be that effective in the NHL (1v1 rushes), unless you're really an elite skater and are physically very strong.

My comment on him being a PP guy is not really a compliment and I don't value PP production as much. Yeah, he can hammer pucks in his trigger spot, but that's a pretty limited skillset. Most of his SHL goals are him sniping it on the PP when given a lot of room.

Bolded is what I was thinking. He is an ideal trade bait piece for a Benning-esque GM out there.
Surprised to hear such negativity after a tremendous performance like that. And what the F is with the Benning comment that's a major backhanded comment completely disrespecting Lekkerimaki. Not sure why you would say it like that?

You keep referencing 1v1 rushes? Would you prefer he not attack the defense? You do realize he's created some grade A chances by attacking the D in this tourney? If you havent seen the variations in attack i dont think you've watched closely or just dont see the game that well. Will it work is questionable at the NHL level but not seeing it is another thing?

Isn't part of being successful to find what works and exploit it. Lekkerimaki for example has done a massively better job than Ohgren at challenging the D head on and even attacking the inside of the ice with or without a vastly superior shot. He's on pace to maybe be the tournaments top scorer?

Clearly your not a fan and chose to come into the juniors thread and shit on Lekkeriamki right after a player of the game performance and helping catapult his team to the Gold medal game on home soil....good vibes cant say i agree with your analysis either but everyones got an opinion so there's that.

@Ernie how is he tracking to be a middle six player? Looks more like top6 or bust to me

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
Surprised to hear such negativity after a tremendous performance like that. And what the F is with the Benning comment that's a major backhanded comment completely disrespecting Lekkerimaki. Not sure why you would say it like that?

You keep referencing 1v1 rushes? Would you prefer he not attack the defense? You do realize he's created some grade A chances by attacking the D in this tourney? If you havent seen the variations in attack i dont think you've watched closely or just dont see the game that well. Will it work is questionable at the NHL level but not seeing it is another thing?

Isn't part of being successful to find what works and exploit it. Lekkerimaki for example has done a massively better job than Ohgren at challenging the D head on and even attacking the inside of the ice with or without a vastly superior shot. He's on pace to maybe be the tournaments top scorer?

Clearly your not a fan and chose to come into the juniors thread and shit on Lekkeriamki right after a player of the game performance and helping catapult his team to the Gold medal game on home soil....good vibes cant say i agree with your analysis either but everyones got an opinion so there's that.

@Ernie how is he tracking to be a middle six player? Looks more like top6 or bust to me
You said basically what I wanted to say but in a much more civil way, thank you

Hammman

Apr 3, 2010

This is a bit of an odd comment when 60% of his goals and 69% of his points have been at even strength in the SHL this year.

Last edited:

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
There’s a large contingent of the fan base that thinks he’s a better prospect than Willander. I think Willander is trending like his worst outcome (2nd pairing with no offence) would be more valuable than Lek’s absolute peak outcome (basically Brock Boeser).
There's big value in both..If Lekker is anywhere near Brock Boeser, there is going to be tremendous value in having him on the Canucks with an ELC..The Canucks roster is going to be top heavy in its salary structure, and its imperative you have these young players on ELC's.

Reactions: ChilliBilly

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
I do think that Boeser and Lekkermaki are similar types of prospects. But ever since the wrist injury and the back injury, Boeser has become less of a volume shooter than he was pre-injury.

Also, there is a lot of disrespect for Boeser. Since joining the league, he's been 72th in P/GP. That's at the same click as Ehlers, Seguin, Reinhart, Keller, and Brady Tkachuk. If you take every forward, he's 62nd. So he's been producing as a first-line player for his entire career.

I think Vrbatta when he was with the Canucks is a more comparable player to Lekkermaki. Both volume shooters and top 6 forwards.

docbenton

Dec 6, 2014
I do think that Boeser and Lekkermaki are similar types of prospects. But ever since the wrist injury and the back injury, Boeser has become less of a volume shooter than he was pre-injury.

Also, there is a lot of disrespect for Boeser. Since joining the league, he's been 72th in P/GP. That's at the same click as Ehlers, Seguin, Reinhart, Keller, and Brady Tkachuk. If you take every forward, he's 62nd. So he's been producing as a first-line player for his entire career.

I think Vrbatta when he was with the Canucks is a more comparable player to Lekkermaki. Both volume shooters and top 6 forwards.

One difference between Lekk and those guys is he actually has speed and can get in on the forecheck. He isn't big, but is pesky and strong enough on his stick to be disruptive. And a goal scoring winger is the easiest type of player to ease into an NHL at a young age, because they don't even necessarily need to grind it out to be effective.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria

Lol what a post man. Coming in with basically nothing but insults because you disagree.

I'm not a fan? Lmao. I follow the Canucks and the NHL fanatically, like most people who post on this board, but sure, I'm not a fan. I can't possibly follow or watch hockey because my opinion does not match yours, thank you for clarifying you are the single arbiter of fandom.

It's possible to be a fan and provide an honest assessment, free of rose-tinted glasses. It's not negativity. It's being as objective as I can. I didn't hear you crying about my negativity and not being a fan when I posted about how optimistic I am on Willander? Why not? I just offered the same thing - my honest assessment.

You said basically what I wanted to say but in a much more civil way, thank you
Wasn't civil at all. Purely intended to personally insult.

StrictlyCommercial

Oct 28, 2006
Vancouver
Lekker isn't just a plus shooter, he's also a plus skater and stickhandler with a good hockey IQ.

I don't think he's similar to Boeser at all. The Caufield comparison is actually pretty apt. If that's his peak that is still very valuable to the team.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Pro goalies are mostly big, fluid and athletic. The only way you'll beat them is to get your shot off quick, either with wristers that leave the stick in a millisecond, or a one-timer.

That's what makes Lekkerimaki so intriguing. Even if all you did was station him along the half-wall or in the bumper position, he'd be lethal on the PP.

If this coming-out party at the WJHC is any indication, he's going to be worth the price of admission in Abbotsford next season.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
The Canucks ar going to need ELC's going forward.Probably sooner rather than later.

Sure people will come sniffing around, but if we are going to trade someone like Lekkerimaki it will include a salary dump by us to be cap compliant. And probably for a rental, or another Hronek that we may not be able to afford to sign.

Why people are so desperate to tinker with a winning team is beyond me.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

LemonSauceD

Instigator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
Lol what a post man. Coming in with basically nothing but insults because you disagree.

I'm not a fan? Lmao. I follow the Canucks and the NHL fanatically, like most people who post on this board, but sure, I'm not a fan. I can't possibly follow or watch hockey because my opinion does not match yours, thank you for clarifying you are the single arbiter of fandom.

It's possible to be a fan and provide an honest assessment, free of rose-tinted glasses. It's not negativity. It's being as objective as I can. I didn't hear you crying about my negativity and not being a fan when I posted about how optimistic I am on Willander? Why not? I just offered the same thing - my honest assessment.

I’m also a bit confused by your analysis of Lekker so far in this tournament.

What’s actually impressed me most aside from his goal scoring is his play away from the puck. He’s been constantly giving teams fits and has drawn the most penalties for Sweden. He’s been finishing his checks, disrupting plays by being incredibly active with his stick and helping out his d-men in disrupting plays down low, and his forechecking has been like easily the most standout thing from his performances other than his shot in this tournament, without question. He’s also displayed some grit and pushback and has been in many situations where he’s gotten involved in some heated battles. No other Swedish player has had the same amount of impact in that aspect, aside from D-Petey defensively and Edstrom on the forward front.

While the goal scoring and point producing is nice, I have been looking for other areas in which he has been effective in. For instance, his ability to beat defenders 1 on 1, his creativity up the rush as he’s actively looking for a shooting lane or trying to find a teammate heading back door has been impressive. Puck control — Ostlund constantly looks for Lekkerimaki because he can trust that Lekker can carry play and allow Ostlund himself to roam more freely offensively. His poise — which is very important trait I look for in teenagers, is the best it’s ever been, likely attributed to his play time in Orebro with and against seasoned veterans. Defensively, where I think he has the most work to do, it’s been noticeably uneventful, no real missed assignments and I haven’t noticed him cheat for offense which is what concerns me with these types of players. His aggressiveness has also impressed me the most.

If anything, this tournament has opened up a different type of perspective into the type of player Lekkerimaki might be at the next level. His play away from the puck specifically is what makes me intrigued. I didn’t have this before quite honestly. He seemed to me what you basically described him as, a perimeter PP guy with no real multi dimension to his game. He’s certainly proved me wrong, though I do expect to see more of this especially when he makes the jump to NA.

All things considered, he’s immensely up’ed his value and overall projection based on these games (which is really rare thing to see imo) to the point where you might want to really re-consider just throwing him in trade proposals considering our lacklustre talent amongst our prospect pool up front.

Feb 19, 2018
Lekkerimaki is one big game away from legendary status in Sweden for the rest of his life. This would be best case scenario for his confidence and swagger going forward.

Willander was pinching in and beating the top forechecker this game and if he continues that he will add another element to his game.

D-Petey looks like a future #5 in a Zadorov type role.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012

What were the personal insults?

I said you weren't a "fan" of Lekkerimaki and didn't appreciate the timing of insulting and shit talking him after a brilliant game by attaching a very odd "Trade bait piece for a Benning esque GM" ??

I really just wanted some clarity about what "not being convinced" meant to start to which you skirted my question and said you answered it when you really didn't. Obviously others have chimed in and attached very different views of his performance from what you said.

And now your just playing victim

Perhaps you confused or just didn't contextualize what you think he will be vs how and what he's been in this tourney?

Reactions: stampedingviking

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
What were the personal insults?

I said you weren't a "fan" of Lekkerimaki and didn't appreciate the timing of insulting and shit talking him after a brilliant game by attaching a very odd "Trade bait piece for a Benning esque GM" ??

I really just wanted some clarity about what "not being convinced" meant to start to which you skirted my question and said you answered it when you really didn't. Obviously others have chimed in and attached very different views of his performance from what you said.

And now your just playing victim

Perhaps you confused or just didn't contextualize what you think he will be vs how and what he's been in this tourney?
You literally called me not a fan of the team and stated that because of my opinions I must clearly not watch hockey or "don't see the game well". Obviously intended as insults. Why are you so up in arms over my views on Lekkerimaki and not Willander, if I am incapable of watching the games? Shouldn't you be questioning that too?

I've provided my reasoning on Lekkerimaki multiple times (too trigger focused, 1v1 rush play-heavy at 5v5, don't see the off puck game, needs a lot of time and space, etc.). You refuse to engage in basic reading comprehension.

It's clear you have no intention of actually arguing in good faith. Pointless exercise here.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: stampedingviking

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
this is a worse collapse than toronto against boston

6 goals
3 goals against in under 55 seconds.

Finlands coach not using his timeout when it went from 5-2 to 5-5 is horrendous coaching

Mike Johnston was saying “what the hell is their coaching staff doing your team is on fire”

Last edited:

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
this is a worse collapse than toronto against boston

6 goals
3 goals against in under 55 seconds.

Finlands coach not using his timeout when it went from 5-2 to 5-5 is horrendous coaching

Mike Johnston was saying “what the hell is their coaching staff doing your team is on fire”
Those finnish kids are going to get like PTSD from this game.

Reactions: CanuckCity

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad