WORLD JUNIORS CHAMPIONSHIP

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
Final score was Canada 14-0. Phillips had 2 assists, JAD with 1 goal.

Next game is Finland/Sweden with Kupari and Sodergran

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Despite being shutout after 40 minutes by Sweden, Kupari has looked great for Finland. Generates a lot of scoring chances due to his speed and fast set of hands.

KingsOfCali25

Start up the Bandwagon!
Feb 21, 2013
Santa Clarita, CA
Watching the first day of the tournament and came away very impressed with all the prospects.

JAD- looked good coming off a broken wrist.
Phillips- looked like a good stay at home defenseman. Willie Mitchell lite style of play.
Anderson- looked very seasoned and collected back deep. Will surprise a lot of people when he leaves college.
Kupari- looked very skilled & dangerous, best player on the ice for Finland tonight. Will get a shot at the NHL next year.
Sodergran- looked well too (except for the tripping penalty at the end; Kupari danced around him). Brought a lot of energy and forechecking to Sweden's bottom line. Kid will definitely help the Kings bottom 6 soon.

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
Kupari was definitely the best player for Finland tonight. His defensive zone effort could be better, but this was my first watching him play in actual game and I came away impressed overall.

Vino

Mar 19, 2006
Finland
Kupari was definitely the best player for Finland tonight. His defensive zone effort could be better, but this was my first watching him play in actual game and I came away impressed overall.

Really? He was not even best forward. G Luukkonen, D Vaakanainen, F Kakko - best Finn's against Sweden. The first line Heponiemi - Kupari - Tolvanen didn't play well at all and defensively that line was pretty bad. How many scoring chances (good ones) they created? Two? Three?
Finland's second line (Nyman-Lundell-Kakko) was decent, but 1st line was not - I was really dispointed.

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
Really? He was not even best forward. G Luukkonen, D Vaakanainen, F Kakko - best Finn's against Sweden. The first line Heponiemi - Kupari - Tolvanen didn't play well at all and defensively that line was pretty bad. How many scoring chances (good ones) they created? Two? Three?
Finland's second line (Nyman-Lundell-Kakko) was decent, but 1st line was not - I was really dispointed.

1st line was terrible, but Kupari was not. Heponiemi and Tolvanen didn't do anything. Kupari was the only player on that line holding onto the puck and creating space. Heponiemi and Tolvanen did the opposite. And I came away impressed with Kakko as well.

Fossy21

Nobel Prize Deke
Mar 14, 2013

Swedish Non-Kings fan here. Have to admit I had all but no idea who Kupari was going into the game. He was Finland’s best player the first two periods alongsize Luukkonen. He was the only one who created anything until Kakko woke up (Kakko was the best player on the ice in the last 25 minutes). That line (and Finland in general) was way too individualistic, but Kupari actually succeeded in making things happen on his own (unlike Tolvanen who looked very frustrated).

Also, how did you guys get JAD? He was clearly destined to play for Anaheim! :laugh:

upload_2018-12-28_2-17-30.jpeg

Last edited:

KingsOfCali25

Start up the Bandwagon!
Feb 21, 2013
Santa Clarita, CA
Kupari is all over the ice again. Going cost to cost. Just got his 1st point of the tournament. He probably would have more points but he is on a line with Eeli Tolvanen (Nashville) but the kid is a puckhog.

Kupari is also ridiculous on the draws tonight. Like 18 of 20 won

Last edited:

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I’m sure it’s just me but Kakko reminds me of Frolov with much better wheels

Watching him just toy with people with his puck protection is something else. He may be the more effective all around NHLer than Hughes. Sort of a Kane vs. Barkov thing.

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
Watching him just toy with people with his puck protection is something else. He may be the more effective all around NHLer than Hughes. Sort of a Kane vs. Barkov thing.
I think Kakko and Hughes are very similar in that they’re both playmakers who can score. So I agree with you that Kakko will be effective at the NHL but not more so than Hughes. Jack will likely be a better all around version of Patrick Kane, who I might add is still a giant killer! People look at Jack and immediately say if he’s fast and is a great skater but it’s his edgework and elusiveness that allows him to be such a dynamic player and playmakers. Personally, I have Kirby Dach #2 over Kakko

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I think Kakko and Hughes are very similar in that they’re both playmakers who can score. So I agree with you that Kakko will be effective at the NHL but not more so than Hughes. Jack will likely be a better all around version of Patrick Kane, who I might add is still a giant killer! People look at Jack and immediately say if he’s fast and is a great skater but it’s his edgework and elusiveness that allows him to be such a dynamic player and playmakers. Personally, I have Kirby Dach #2 over Kakko

I don't really disagree with any of this. I'm also really high on Dach.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad