GDT: World Juniors 2022

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
Interesting who does well in this tournament. Usually not a good yardstick overall since it's such a snapshot in time but super underwhelmed by any CAN forward who wasn't on the Bedard line.

Roy being good on both sides of the puck was super impressive as was Stankoven but he's a lot smaller.

Fantili I thought had a tough tournament for such a hyped guy but he definitely showed a toolset that is super attractive. Big, fast, has a motor. Got better as it went along.

Bedard not too much to say. Impressive he went to the hard areas when he needed to.

I didn't think the CAN defence was very poised but as a group a lot of good skaters with size. Del Mastro grew on me. Zelweger you can see his offensive upside but some very poor decisions in his own end. Hinds seemed steady and big. Clarke I thought was the most composed under pressure. But of course I don't think the CAN coaching was great so in a more structured system all of these guys look better.

I was impressed by Milic. His strong performance last year in the WHL is also a good sign. At just over 6 feet he reminds me of Jose Theodore post Melanson repairs, plays a more upright game (as he should) and makes himself bigger than he is. Good but not great skating but overall very efficient. Great battle level and improvisation. Reads the play well.

quat

Faking Life
Apr 4, 2003
Duncan
JEB is the gift that kept on giving, isn't he?

The man is basically a legend at this point. He's dedicated his entire GM career to ensure that the orcas are as f***ed as possible.

fire-crank.gif
Looking at his tenure with the team, it's difficult to argue against this. Who in their right minds spends two seasons trying to land OEL? ha ha ha ha ha

Reactions: Nomobo

Vancouver_2010

Canucks and Oilers fan
Jun 21, 2006
Of course its Dylan Guenther who scores the OT goal, of course, why expect anything else but disappointment as a canucks fan? If Dylan Guenther was somehow drafted by us, he would have got injured early in his career.

Honestly, we might need some religious ceremony around Rogers Arena.

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
Why do people think we would have chosen Guenther?

Ron Delorme is still employed by this organization.
And we still have the worst CHL scouting in the entire league.
There was a clearly defined top 9 tier that draft and we were guaranteed whichever one fell. Maybe they'd have picked someone else but it would have been very off the board to not choose Guenther in that slot.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Tried to get engaged in this tournament, but basically let it ride. Caught the third period and OT in the gold medal game; and tried to watch a few minutes of Sweden's games to follow the two Canuck prospects.

And despite all the hype from the TSN panel--which to my knowledge never mentioned the Hockey Canada controversy once--this tournament really lacked much drama. Finland and the U.S. didn't appear to send very strong teams to this tournament. And Sweden perpetually underachieves. Czechs were a nice story, but of interest is the fact that good chunk of their roster is made up of players playing Major Junior in Canada.

As for Austria, Switzerland, Germany, Latvia and Slovakia.....the only drama was how bad the beatdowns would be.

I think NHL scouts are placing less and less of a premium on who stars in this tournament--mainly because most players have already been drafted or as 18-year-olds, they aren't getting much ice-time.

IslandBeast

Apr 19, 2015
V.I
Tried to get engaged in this tournament, but basically let it ride. Caught the third period and OT in the gold medal game; and tried to watch a few minutes of Sweden's games to follow the two Canuck prospects.

And despite all the hype from the TSN panel--which to my knowledge never mentioned the Hockey Canada controversy once--this tournament really lacked much drama. Finland and the U.S. didn't appear to send very strong teams to this tournament. And Sweden perpetually underachieves. Czechs were a nice story, but of interest is the fact that good chunk of their roster is made up of players playing Major Junior in Canada.

As for Austria, Switzerland, Germany, Latvia and Slovakia.....the only drama was how bad the beatdowns would be.

I think NHL scouts are placing less and less of a premium on who stars in this tournament--mainly because most players have already been drafted or as 18-year-olds, they aren't getting much ice-time.

I thought it was a very good tournament, I haven't been that engaged in years. Slovakia actually had a good tournament as well, there were a number of good teams this year and I really liked this group of Canadians.

Seattle Totems

Apr 14, 2010
Of course its Dylan Guenther who scores the OT goal, of course, why expect anything else but disappointment as a canucks fan? If Dylan Guenther was somehow drafted by us, he would have got injured early in his career.

Honestly, we might need some religious ceremony around Rogers Arena.
We already have a statue celebrating the waving of a white flag which is good messaging.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I'm a bit of cynic when it comes to the Canucks expending high draft picks on players from the Dub. If we'd drafted Guenther, he'd have probably turned into the second coming of Jake Virtanen.

Besides Guenther is a winger, where the Canucks have some depth. If they'd kept their first rounder in 2021, they'd have probably picked a d-man.

At least Lekkerimaki and Elias D-Petey are both eligible to return to the Swedish lineup for the 2023 WJHC, and both should be locks to make it. And whoever the Canucks draft in the first round this spring, should also be a serious candidate to play in next year's tournament.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad