World Junior Championships

Hattrick Kane

Oct 8, 2018
I think AD is gonna have an aneurysm.

It was like watching Columbus and Tampa Bay all over again. The Finns absolutely suffocated the Americans. Well deserved win.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
I thought the USA team was terribly coached. Way too much individual play. Not enough structure. Line combos were not very good. I can't imagine that coaching staff will be back again.

On the flip side, Finland played a great team game. Strong positionally, smart passing, and they smothered the puck.

Backyard Hockey

Dealing With It
Feb 13, 2015
I’ve sort of half watched since Ducky (Mastrosimone) didn’t make the final roster but the US team just looked meh

Looked like a tournament team with a lot of alpha dogs trying to make individual plays vs playing team hockey.

what was also noticeable was how unnoticeable Caufield was. Yes he got the OT winner the other night but was invisible for most of what I watched.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
I’ve sort of half watched since Ducky (Mastrosimone) didn’t make the final roster but the US team just looked meh

Looked like a tournament team with a lot of alpha dogs trying to make individual plays vs playing team hockey.

what was also noticeable was how unnoticeable Caufield was. Yes he got the OT winner the other night but was invisible for most of what I watched.

I thought Caufield was noticeable for all the wrong reasons. He kept trying to dance through the entire team by himself.

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
I thought he got left off the team for some reason.

I wonder where I got that from.

He got left off the gold medal team (his age 19 year). He was on the team a year before that, his age 18 year which is the same age as Caufield currently.

Reactions: Crow

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Watching the Gold Medal Game...Canada tempting tge fates...too many trips to the p-box I first period...

Hard to watch all the drafted prospects on both squads ...none of course are Hawks draftees...but Igor Sokolov at 19 is still undrafted and eligible for the 2020 draft..having a good tournament and a good season for Capr Bretin in the Q the QMJHL...reason hexwas not yet drafted is skating concerns ..but hexstill looks effective and dangerous forvtge Rusdians ...Big Winger 6'4 240 lbs..wonder if a team will draft him maybe in round 2 as an older player but clearly he can score and brings size and physicality.

Thevother Russian still not draftedcisx19 yrbold Anir Miftakhov their goalie in this game who took over tge net from the 17 yr old draft eligible supposedly top ten ge erational goal Askarov who seemed to have not handled the pressure of this tournament very well ..he certainly did not look ge erational in games he was in net for Russua..nutcase we know this is usually the case with 17 yr okds playing I tge WJHC who j is dominated by mostly 19 ye olds each year.

Miftakhov though has played very welk ..but he is only a 6'0 goalie ...

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
Russians flopping all over the ice and the refs are obliging them. Brutal.

ya its pretty bad but the Canadians have to stop putting themselves in the postition for the refs to make a decision if that is a PIM.

all but the call on Hayton to lead to the Russian go ahead goal were PIM's a high percentage of times in international hockey

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Very strange events at the last few minutes of the game...even though I am Canadian ,I fo not understand how Canada dod not getca penalty for delay of game when the puck hit the camera which was behind the glass...unless perhaps it was mounted on the glass top and only the camera lens and chassis was the part behind the glass which was what we saw....if the rili g was that it touched any part of a mounting that was ontop ofvthe glass then of course that could explain why no penalty..but not sure how that camera was set into place= All behind the glass or a part holding it in place perhaps on the top of the glass at that place?

In any event...very strange...never saw such a case before in hockey..

Also Russia had a 6 on 4 advantage with the goalie out in the dying minute and they blew it by taking San interference penalty by knocking a stick off a Canada player without the puck and then compounded the 5 on 4 advantage they still had after the penalty by a Russian player who tried to check holding a stick that had just broke on him...

So very strange events at the end of that game.

In any case a marvelous 3rd period comeback from 3-1 down by Canada to win 4-3 and win the Gold.

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Russia pulled their goalie too early ... since they were also on a PP it allowed Canada to take potshots at the empty net with no worries of icing.... and it happened 3 times, killing a good minute. But a great final game and a fun WJC to watch.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Lecce vs Udinese
    Lecce vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $100.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 5