Prospect Info: World Junior Championships 2015-2016

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
So Quenneville hasn't looked good? It sounds like Blackwood has been OK?

I have to resort to listening on the radio on TSN's website, have no way of watching.

Bologna 1

Aug 5, 2006
JQ has been bland this tourney.

He lacks the speed that the other forwards have and he hasn't done anything with the puck.

Barzal has been their best forward.
I've always liked him, man I hope we didn't miss out on this kid.

Chabot is a highly impressive defenseman.

Thank goodness we did not draft Crouse.

happy with zacha, but I honestly think I like barzal a bit more. be curious to see what they each develop into

Buggsy

Sep 16, 2009
Halifax, NS
So Quenneville hasn't looked good? It sounds like Blackwood has been OK?

I have to resort to listening on the radio on TSN's website, have no way of watching.

People complaining about Quenneville are out to lunch. He forechecks and finishes every check.

Blackwood let in 2 deflection goals but has been saving the slow ass canadaian defence the rest of the game.

Point has done absolutely nothing, canadian captain or not.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
happy with zacha, but I honestly was more hoping for barzal at the time of the draft. be curious to see what they each develop into

We had big holes for both types of player.

Big/strong forward that can skate and score: Zacha

Highly skilled/playmaking center: Barzal

Too bad we were unable to trade back into the 1st round to snag Barzal.

NYb was fortunate that he lasted that long and they also made a shrewd trade by moving the over-rated Reinhart to Edmonton for Anthony Beauvillier who is also on Team Canada.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
I liked Barzal as well, but understood why he fell. His size and lack of goal scoring was something that scouts were obviously concerned with.

I'm happy with Zacha, but you can't compare him and Barzal as if it was between those two players. If anything, I'm comparing him to Meier, Rantanen and Crouse.

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
JQ has been bland this tourney.

He lacks the speed that the other forwards have and he hasn't done anything with the puck.

Barzal has been their best forward.
I've always liked him, man I hope we didn't miss out on this kid.

Chabot is a highly impressive defenseman.

Thank goodness we did not draft Crouse.

Dude, I'm going to have to put you on ignore if you continue second guess every pick of ours to death, I'm not trying to be a ***** but it's god damn annoying.

We got Zacha, be happy with him.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
I liked Barzal as well, but understood why he fell. His size and lack of goal scoring was something that scouts were obviously concerned with.

I'm happy with Zacha, but you can't compare him and Barzal as if it was between those two players. If anything, I'm comparing him to Meier, Rantanen and Crouse.

I was 100% against drafting Crouse and he has not looked good at the WJC thus far.

He and JQ are complimentary players that are useful in the NHL but in order to win playoff series you need high-end talents and hopefully Zacha can be one for us.

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
We had big holes for both types of player.

Big/strong forward that can skate and score: Zacha

Highly skilled/playmaking center: Barzal

Too bad we were unable to trade back into the 1st round to snag Barzal.

NYb was fortunate that he lasted that long and they also made a shrewd trade by moving the over-rated Reinhart to Edmonton for Anthony Beauvillier who is also on Team Canada.

Strome, Marner, Hicketts have all been better for Canada. Barzal still just stands on the perimeter on international ice and can sit with the puck for 5 hours as a result.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Zacha was 100% the correct pick at #6.

I'm sure Barzal will be a nice player, and I wish we could have traded back up to get him, but it wasn't meant to be. The 2nd that likely would have been in the trade-up package got us Palmieri so I can't complain.

This tournament does absolutely nothing to change the evaluation of JQ.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
Zacha was 100% the correct pick at #6.

I'm sure Barzal will be a nice player, and I wish we could have traded back up to get him, but it wasn't meant to be. The 2nd that likely would have been in the trade-up package got us Palmieri so I can't complain.

This tournament does absolutely nothing to change the evaluation of JQ.

I agree with this sentiment. Palmieri has helped push our rebuilding process quicker than having both Zacha and Barzal. Can't complain whatsoever.

So going to a shootout? Hope Blackwood stands tall as he's seemed to have done all game.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
Radio announcers believed Blackwood should've been Canada's player of the game rather than Hicketts. Tough to disagree, but again, I didn't get to watch. :laugh:

Glad he played that well though. He'll be the starter the rest of the way no doubt.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Big glove save by Blackwood in the SO.:handclap:
He also closed the 5-hole quickly vs an elite shooter in Meier.

Sick hands by Barzal on that SO winner.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Radio announcers believed Blackwood should've been Canada's player of the game rather than Hicketts. Tough to disagree, but again, I didn't get to watch. :laugh:

Glad he played that well though. He'll be the starter the rest of the way no doubt.

I probably would have went Strome. That first goal was huge, and he really applied pressure the rest of the game.

I'm also influenced by the Swiss goalie being so good in that 3rd period while Blackwood had a much lighter workload.

Belizarius

Sep 17, 2003
Southern France
www.passionhockey.com
Detroit with another under the radar gem in Hicketts.

Agreed. Best Canadian player in this game, and minute eater.
Chabot was good as well, the rest of defense not so much (Sanheim maybe a bit).
Forwards... pathetic... :help:
Virtanen keeps the puck too much, Strome and Marner want to be difference makers but are just skating around... The rest ? nowhere to be seen. Gauthier, a little bit.
Canada passing game is really poor.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Hicketts went undrafted?

He's on the small size, which was the knock on Point, Garland and some others in recent years.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Welcome to the Internet Tom:

Tom Gulitti ‏@TGfireandice 9m9 minutes ago
The perspective on Twitter ranges from Blackwood gave up two bad goals to they were both deflections he had no chance to stop.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Welcome to the Internet Tom:

Tom Gulitti ‏@TGfireandice 9m9 minutes ago
The perspective on Twitter ranges from Blackwood gave up two bad goals to they were both deflections he had no chance to stop.

Plus, it's Canada and the WJC. They take this tournament way too seriously sometimes.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Agreed. Best Canadian player in this game, and minute eater.
Chabot was good as well, the rest of defense not so much (Sanheim maybe a bit).
Forwards... pathetic... :help:
Virtanen keeps the puck too much, Strome and Marner want to be difference makers but are just skating around... The rest ? nowhere to be seen. Gauthier, a little bit.
Canada passing game is really poor.

I thought Barzal played great again.

Strome scored a key goal, where is Gauthier projected to be picked this June?

Philly has a crazy good defense corps in their pipeline with Sanheim, Ivan, Morin, Hagg and Gostisbehere.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad